Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here in a while.
For anyone who remembers my post 'New Dobies', I've still got them both. She's just been spayed and they're doing well at about 9 months old now.
Their separation issues have faded (to a point). They're okay with being left with a bone or kong.
There are times I do have to raise my voice a little when they get carried away together, and once or twice a piddle on the floor(but for the most part they are VERY vocal about needing to go outside now).

Loca is still a bit nervous and timid of new people/things, but at the same time curiousity i think gets the better of her quickly.
Neither of them walk perfectly, but are getting much better (she's better than he is). I walk them separately but would like to eventually get to the point where I can take them together.

Bank is still much more energetic than she is. Jumping on people/things is still a bit of an issue. Mostly he just jumps once or twice when he gets super excited about something. Like when he sees me with food, but he knows he doesn't get it til he sits nicely. The same with coming back home, he often jumps up on the door, but I won't open it til he's sitting.
Correcting him BEFORE he does anything wrong seems to work better than redirecting him. Like 'Stay Down' when walking up to people, rather than 'Get Down' if he jumps on me.

I do have a question for this post as well tho. Its only happened twice, but I don't know what it is... He had like a mini-seizure tonight. I don't know how else to describe it, he was in his pen (I use ex-pens not crates)as always, about an hour before feeding I make them both just chill out for an hour so I can clean up and whatever I need to do around the house. So anyways, he sees me walk by to get their food, and he jumped up and down a couple of times as always, but when he stopped his head like started shaking back and forth, just his head. It lasted maybe 15-20 seconds, maybe less. When I put his food down and opened the door to his pen, he went right for the food (almost knocked me over) and seems perfectly fine now.
Only once before I saw him do that, a couple months ago when we were outside playing ball. When he was running back to me, his head was shaking like that. But it had stopped by the time he got to me, and it hadn't happened again til tonight so I guess I kinda forgot about it.

I don't know if there is something really wrong (I hope not) or is he just that super-excited at times? lol
Anyways, I just thought I'd mention it here and see what anyone with more experience than me has to say about it...

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
We had a dog with epilepsy and it doesn't sound like yours had a seizure. How did he shake his head? Was it like he was cold or shivering? or was it more like shaking off a good scratch? When our dog had a seizure his whole body would stiffen like a board and spaz shake, run in place, his eyes would glaze and stare and he would make this horrible sound. It brings me almost to tears when I think about him. No meds helped he kept having break throughs. My husband was at Purdue so we had them make up different meds for him, they would work for a month and then stop. He was the most awesome frisby dog...died at 2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
He was sitting down, his back legs shiver a little, but they often do that. Like he's got a burst of energy about to come. but the movement in his head was not like a shivering, more like if I was to shake my head 'No' at something quickly, but not so far side to side. He didn't really make any sounds, one kinda half-bark this time. That's all.
I don't remember any sounds from the first time, and he was trotting toward me, so he had perfect use of his legs...
Maybe he his fine. It was odd tho.

These are just the first puppies I've raised on my own. My families had dogs when I was growing up, but they were all pretty healthy dogs and I'd never seen anything quite like that.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts