Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my husband's 8 year old lab cross something has started develop bald patches on her behind over the last year or so. I'm only recently around her all the time, my husband doesn't seem too worried where as I worry about everything is this something we should be worried about. There is no hair, hair will not grow and is rough and dry in patches.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would take her to the vet to get that checked out. Definitely better safe than sorry.
If someone just described it like you did I would assume fleas as the area at the base of the tail/bum is a very frequent area of flea infestation.
But I'm not totally sure what's going on in this photo.

Perhaps someone else will chime in and recognize it. Either way it should be looked at and treated by a vet.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's long term irritation. That skin has had a chance to really thicken up. Dog needs to see a vet, he has to be miserable, poor thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same it all started when my husband's ex wife had her for a while during divorce stuff, she just kept getting worse patches she looks the same now as when we got her back. both dogs get monthly flea treatments etc, hoping someone recognises it as you say.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I can't tell you from a picture what that is. Nobody can. He needs to see a vet and probably get a skin scraping. Lots of things can cause irritation like that- fleas, mange, allergies to name a few.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Could also be some sort of allergy, that's a common place to chew - at least, my dogs can all easily chew that area. Regardless of whether or not anyone can recognize it the dog needs to go to the vet - this forum isn't an online clinic. It looks inflamed and irritated and imagine how annoyed/miserable you would be if you had sores like that.

You could probably try some hydrocortisone cream for now but that won't fix anything if the cause isn't determined and eliminated. Maybe a cone to keep her from getting at the areas.

There's also a question of what you use as flea preventative because a lot of the popular ones don't actually work anymore.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The best advice you'll get online is "take her to the vet". Since none of us can see her in person and do the appropriate testing (and most of us are not vets), we cant diagnose her. Your vet, that can see her...can...and can then give you ways to treat it so that she is far more comfortable.

Put it this way. If this was YOUR rear end (or your childs), would you seek a doctors advice? She's owed the same care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts