Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather is beautiful this week so I bought my lab Lucifer a brand new tennis ball and we headed out to a local lake . I saw an eagle flying over the lake while I was parking my car and thought to myself how beautiful they are as they glide across the sky ... I tossed Lucifers new bright yellow ball into the lake a couple times and he was in heaven as he swam in to retrieve his ball until the 3rd toss.................. I tossed the ball into the lake and in went Lucifer.. out of a tree came the eagle , he swooped down and grabbed the ball out of the water and flew back up into a tree where he put the ball in the crook of 2 branches. I could see the ball high in the tree and looked over at Lucifer who had the funniest look on his face as he also saw his brand new ball in the tree. I was laughing so hard it hurt and poor Lucifer was sooooo upset . I grabbed a stick ( next best thing to a ball ) and tried to toss it for him to fetch. He just gave me a annoyed look , ignored the stick and went back to watchign his ball in the tree. We headed home not long after that and stopped at the store on the way and bought 10 new balls for Lucifer and any other ball crazy eagles in the neighborhood .

ONLY IN ALASKA !!!

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I showed this story to my friend, and she said, "It's a ball eagle!"

This is really cute. I can picture the look on poor Lucifer's face! I can't imagine what my own dogs would think if a bird stole their ball.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh! If only you had a video of that! .. I wonder how many hits it would get on the internet? Lol!

Poor Lucifer! Skunked by an Eagle!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I gotta say, that's pretty cool. But then I was excited when I had a red tail hawk hanging out around my yard (had fewer blue jays that year and kept finding these little balls of blue jay feathers.)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can thank my daugher for no video or pic since she borrowed my camera which means I shall never see it again lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is really cute. I can picture the look on poor Lucifer's face! I can't imagine what my own dogs would think if a bird stole their ball.
Ha love it !!

·
Registered
514 Posts
A few years ago, there was a small news story in the paper here about an eagle that was terrorizing people at the beaches nearby -- by swooping down and stealing their balls! It turned out that it was a young eagle that had been released from an animal rehab place, where it learned how to hunt prey by chasing and catching balls that were thrown. Hopefully it figured it out eventually. Beach balls can't be very nutritious.

That is soo hilarious, though. I wish you had pictures! Maybe the ball will stay up there for a while?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few years ago, there was a small news story in the paper here about an eagle that was terrorizing people at the beaches nearby -- by swooping down and stealing their balls! It turned out that it was a young eagle that had been released from an animal rehab place, where it learned how to hunt prey by chasing and catching balls that were thrown. Hopefully it figured it out eventually. Beach balls can't be very nutritious.

That is soo hilarious, though. I wish you had pictures! Maybe the ball will stay up there for a while?
I live on the coast so we have a huge eagle population and Lucifer loves to chase the seagulls, he is sure he will catch one anyday now !!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I live on the coast so we have a huge eagle population and Lucifer loves to chase the seagulls, he is sure he will catch one anyday now !!!
Living in Ohio in the area I am ... it is rather rare ... but we have a Bald Eagle this year. I thought he/she moved on ... but not so! Last week I saw the Eagle sitting up high on a sand hill near a strip mine looking over some geese and their goslings! He/she was planning their dinner menu! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE......... went out to the lake again yesterday, ball is still in tree and Lucifer knew it .....good news is he didnt lose another new ball

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

Hahahaha

If only you had a video, you might be able to win 10k on funniest home videos or viral on you tube!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts