Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another idea born out of our morning play routine.

Sometimes when we play, he jumps up on my shoulder (he's on my bed and I'm kneeling
next to it agitating him and such) and then I pretend (though it's not much pretending LOL) that's he's pinning me down.

Well, today, I decided to try taking that a step farther. I started trying to just get him up there without the all out play.

I got him to get on my shoulder on his own (took some patient shaping because he was giving me the "play dead" type thing and I so badly wanted to reward it...but then I'd get that all day LOL).

From there, I guess technically this is luring, but I call it problem solving, I held out a treat in my arm, out stretched and he had to get it. After him stepping on my head (we're not really for head balancing yet, Wally!) he started venturing out on my back, cautiously putting his paws forward, but doing so with some conviction (believe me, I could feel it, amazing how much pressure the paws of a 15 lb dog can put on). He figure out how to stretch for it, but I wasn't going to c/t until he got those back paws on and I could feel him sitting.

He did it, and I gave him a c/t once the paws got on. Then I told him to stay. He did. Another c/t. Then waited a few seconds. Another c/t. Repeated that about eight times.

Cued some barking. He readily barked (and loudly) and even tried to give me eye contact. More c/t's.

Then I cued stay again and started slowly moving on my knees (like a crawl). Took a few "steps" and then c/t. A few more, another c/t. Only a couple treats left so I did it a couple more times, bent forward like I was putting my head on the floor and cued his "get off". He jumped off excitedly and started bouncing around. I let him jump on me (our "yay, you finished the training" thing) and that was it.

He wasn't nervous or anything. He readily took the treats, did the barking, get the "get off" was happy, excited, and bouncing around.

We might have to try this again sometime, maybe practice it every day.

Any ideas on how to further progress?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't have any advice but I will be keeping tabs on this thread.

I got Kaki to balance on my back but it's going to take time and heavy reinforcement for her to enjoy it. She's big on personal space.

*coughcough*Maybe Gottalovemutts will chime in*coughcough*

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
**also coughing**

No ideas, but am hoping for a photo or two of the wally in the act. Makes me smile to think about it. :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Jackson does this trick and he LOVES doing it. I did not even really have to teach him, he kind of did it on his own, so I really have no tips. But it's always a "show stopping" impressive trick that people tend to enjoy and think is really cool.

I kind of lean down, hold my arms out like a bird, and that's how he knows to jump up. I also say "hop up!"

I guess initially to encourage it, I would get on the floor and pat on my back and show him what I wanted him to do. Once he did it once, he just loved it!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I heard coughing.

Stage 1: Find a friend who can help with the c/t.

Stage 2: Put a piece of furniture next to the wall and sandwich yourself between it and the wall, making a little chute. Get the dog near your rear and encourage them to jump up. Always feed while they're up there.

Stage 3: Practice makes perfect.

Stage 4: Add tricks.

Stage 5: Teach a vault.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Wow! I might give this one a try. But not the vaulting part; that might break my back.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You and Kit are adorable!

For now, I'm taking a step back with Kaki. Hopefully, she'll learn that invading my personal space is awesome.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgive the bad picture quality. Trying to take these yourself with a dog on your back is a degree of difficulty higher.

We gonna move now? Huh? Huh?

He's admiring the view.

Look at the camera already.

I actually walked around and up the stairs with him on my back tonight. He's pretty good at it, though we both still have to get used to it. He's heavier than I think like that LOL.

Also working on the jump off - did it from a bit higher. I think judging the height (or wanting to jump off) might be a bit tricky for him.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Then I cued stay again and started slowly moving on my knees (like a crawl). Took a few "steps" and then c/t. A few more, another c/t.
So let me get this straight, you're on hands and knees and "The Wally" is on your back (nice pics) your crawling/moving forward and you are trying to to take credit for teaching/training (whatever words are necessary) to balance himself on your back. Now anybody that has followed the adventures of "The Wally" knows that it is Wally training you to carry him around home (or anywhere else he wants) This is much different than the normal carry in arms program he has already taught you because now on outside jaunts he can be lower/closer to ground for exciting smells etc. I'm Just Sayin'....

Good Job Wally

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So let me get this straight, you're on hands and knees and "The Wally" is on your back (nice pics) your crawling/moving forward and you are trying to to take credit for teaching/training (whatever words are necessary) to balance himself on your back. Now anybody that has followed the adventures of "The Wally" knows that it is Wally training you to carry him around home (or anywhere else he wants) This is much different than the normal carry in arms program he has already taught you because now on outside jaunts he can be lower/closer to ground for exciting smells etc. I'm Just Sayin'....

Good Job Wally
Actually...I was standing up in those pics and I've walked "flatbacked" around with him (feeling like the Hunchback of Notre Dame a bit LOL).

Heh, the carry in the arms program didn't go too far :p I was a stubborn one in that. He tried that "carry me up the stairs". I told him "learn how to do it" and left him (and taking his food with him) - he was like "WTF, bring back my food", and I called him while keeping going away and the figured it out :D

And, hey, can't I get a moment in the sun? I mean, it's my back LOL :D Heck, it was my idea :p

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Heck, it was my idea :p
Well that's the problem, when you are dealing with "The Wally" it could be your idea and then again it might not be your idea. We may never know. I am definitely ready to give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not sure of others doing the same. Wally's prowess as a person trainer is renowned through the land.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that's the problem, when you are dealing with "The Wally" it could be your idea and then again it might not be your idea. We may never know. I am definitely ready to give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not sure of others doing the same. Wally's prowess as a person trainer is renowned through the land.
Then I need to be getting him out there so he can get paid...and I can...ahem..."manage" his money for him. :D :p

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Awesome pics! No idea how you managed to take them, but ++100 for that. Wvasko may be right, though. Wally is in charge!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Then I need to be getting him out there so he can get paid...and I can...ahem..."manage" his money for him. :D :p
Ok, here's the deal with Wally making the money (a bunch of it knowing "The Wally) and you managing money, how would you then like to adopt an older couple who have no retirement plan. I could even help with a little PR work for Wally.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wally is freaking adorable.. oh that face!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts