Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have NOTHING against people that buy already made stuff but I find that society is getting well...lazy when it comes to baking things. I enjoy making things from scratch, I feel accomplished and when people taste it and say it's better than their grandma's I am over the moon because everyone knows grandmas are great bakers.

So let's see I've made raspberry cheesecake, vanilla cake, lemon pie, I always make my frosting from scratch but today and tomorrow I've taken on a whole other challenge. I am making homemade phyllo dough and baklava (a turkish dessert) for my SO's 28th birthday which is tomorrow. I'm making the dough and the honey syrup today and I will finish it tomorrow by layering the dough and the "filling"

So while I was thinking how complicated this might be *I'm hoping it'll be easy though* I was wondering if anyone else makes things from scratch? Also what is the hardest thing you've made?

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I worked as a baker for four years and I also baked quite a bit at home during that time (I don't have as much time for it now). The hardest thing I tried was probably a checkered cake, which came out all right but not spectacular. I've made big soft pretzels, too, which are somewhat tricky. My stuff tends to look messy but taste amazing. :p

There are some things I would have done differently on a second try to make that cake a little cleaner.

Oh, this bread I made looked nice AND tasted great:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it looks great :) and I LOVE making homemade bread...very easy

ETA: I've also made french macaroons from scratch with a friend here are some pictures and chocolate covered strawberries *though that's really easy* :D

Here are all the pictures 556326_3645674025692_878115641_n.jpg 549373_3807346747409_1144321171_n.jpg 1534332_10203000072187977_1546747753_n.jpg 1468785_10203000050907445_353857034_n.jpg 475862_3673422119377_674093551_o.jpg 429285_3257947172763_574031279_n.jpg 857998_10200754683374660_1626747558_o.jpg 395276_3257943332667_279105030_n.jpg

The cake that says 500th birthday was for my future mother in law ;) had to have a little fun and that's toasted coconut on top, also the roses are made of frosting

·
Registered
852 Posts
I make caramel and hard candies that I hand out at Halloween to the kids I know in my subdivision. It's really nice when younger kids ask for extra for their older siblings who couldn't make it to my house.

At Christmas time I give out filled cookie tins. Usually there is an assortment of 10-12 kinds of cookies, candies and nuts in each tin that are all home made and miniaturized so I can fit 6 of each of the what ever it is that I decided that will go into that year's tins. Two items that make it every year is my grandmother's fudge and chocolate covered peanut butter balls. I make 24-30 tins a year and it usually takes a week to make everything.

I also love, love love making bread. I usually make bagels, soft pretzels (basically the same), ciabatta bread and pizza crusts.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just finished the dough, it was super easy, I'm hoping it comes out right. I'll find out when I start to roll it out. Letting it sit for 2 hours

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I love baking and cooking in general and almost always make everything from scratch, even my breads and stuff. One of my most favorite things I've made though was probably a pineapple upside down cake that I made on a grill while camping out in the woods one weekend. I even hand-whipped the pineapple whipped cream to go on top. A bit of a challenge to make that outside of my kitchen, but it came out perfectly! Something about doing that in the middle of nowhere made it that much better.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I love baking. I usually make cakes and pies from scratch and breads every once in a while. You can't beat homemade pie crust!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I love baking and cooking in general and almost always make everything from scratch, even my breads and stuff. One of my most favorite things I've made though was probably a pineapple upside down cake that I made on a grill while camping out in the woods one weekend. I even hand-whipped the pineapple whipped cream to go on top. A bit of a challenge to make that outside of my kitchen, but it came out perfectly! Something about doing that in the middle of nowhere made it that much better.
That is very impressive :grinning: I'll post a picture of the finished product when I get home from work. Everyone loved it and it really isn't that hard to make. I might even make it again. Oh another thing I make from scratch are cinnamon rolls OMG talk about delicious

11998807_10207974475984963_5864445458922883842_n.jpg Ignore the old pan >.>

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
everyone knows grandmas are great bakers.
Haha, my grandmothers must have been broken. I don't think either of them even baked anything in their lives (that I know of anyway; I'm sure they must have at some point but not when I knew them!). One grandma ordered Schwan's and the other one ate out all the time :p. And so, no talent to hand down to me, alas. I enjoy eating other peoples' homemade goodies though :D.

A former co-worker's wife used to make goodies for us all the time. I'm sad he retired :(.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, my grandmothers must have been broken. I don't think either of them even baked anything in their lives (that I know of anyway; I'm sure they must have at some point but not when I knew them!). One grandma ordered Schwan's and the other one ate out all the time :p. And so, no talent to hand down to me, alas. I enjoy eating other peoples' homemade goodies though :D.

A former co-worker's wife used to make goodies for us all the time. I'm sad he retired :(.
lol, I'm sorry. My grandma used to make sour cream cookies and they were delicious :) she passed the recipe to us luckily but it's not exactly the same

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I just want to say, as someone who bakes only when a friend is in need of some 'bricks' for building... I want to be friends with all of you...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
One of my old co-workers loved to bake. I enjoyed the fruits of her "fun" but I'm not much of a baker myself. I CAN bake things but it's not my idea of fun.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I just want to say, as someone who bakes only when a friend is in need of some 'bricks' for building... I want to be friends with all of you...
My biggest barrier to baking is that I frequently don't have anyone to share it with! My husband doesn't like sweets, and my closest friend and my MIL are both excellent bakers. Everyone whom I used to bake for (sister, mom, friends) now live at least several hours drive away...

I have to say the one thing that I haven't made successfully yet is bread. Everyone keeps saying it is so easy and it just never turns out for me, or my husband.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have to say the one thing that I haven't made successfully yet is bread. Everyone keeps saying it is so easy and it just never turns out for me, or my husband.
I didn't either until I bought a digital thermometer. The water needs to be hot enough, but not too hot when proofing the yeast, 110 F - 120 F is ideal. Also add a tiny pinch of sugar to feed the yeast when proofing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Right now I have 2 loaves of bread rising, and will bake them shortly! I decided to start baking my own bread because I kept the store-bought bread in the cupboard, and every time I opened it, there was such a chemical smell! Don't want to put that in my/my kids' bodies! Yuk!

I am hot/cold on baking. Sometimes I do tons of it, apple crisps, cookies, breads, rolls, and sometimes I don't want to mess with it at all. We call those weeks hungry weeks LOL.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a REALLY simple bread recipe and it turns out great everytime, It's not difficult and it makes 3 loaves per batch but it's on my other computer and I forgot the password I'll have to wait until my SO gets home. He remembers :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts