Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My papillon is almost 14 weeks we got him from a breeder when he was 12 weeks.
I don't believe he was socilizaied at all during those first crucial weeks of his life.
He is skiddish with new people and scared when meeting new dogs. If i am holding him he try's to climb up onto my neck, if i him I place him on the ground he jumps want in my lap or hides behind my feet.

Is there still hope in getting him socialized?!

He still won't come to my husband.

I have contacted a local trainer and am going to try to get him into puppy socilization class's.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yes, you can socialize a dog at any age. It's more difficult and time consuming after the initial 12-16 weeks, but it can be done. (It's also possible your dog has a nervous temperament. It doesn't sound like the breeder is an ethical one if s/he wasn't socializing the pups, and unethical breeders don't care about temperament when they breed.)

Socializing an older dog is just like socializing a younger one, it just requires more patience. I've been socializing a 3 year old dog for 6 months now. You just have to introduce everything in a calm manner, not too much at once, give her lots of time to calm down and relax in between, and give her lots of treats and praise for it. Puppy kindergartens are great if done right.

For example, with meeting new people, don't let people try to pet her or pick her up. In fact, encourage people not to even look at her. Give her treats so she comes to associate new people with getting delicious noms. Let her go at her own pace. Once she learns that nothing bad happens when new people show up, she'll be okay.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton didn't start puppy socialization groups until he was about 15 weeks old, and at first he was totally freaked out, but now he's mostly a social butterfly! He's a wee bit skiddish with large dogs at first, and doesn't like it when dogs bark at him (he just backs off in both situations). The trainer at his group uses him to introduce a new dog to the group since he's so well mannered and does such a good job with reading other dogs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We got Oliver when he was 6 months old. When we first took him to Petsmart for training all he did was bark non stop at the other dogs. He did get better over time. We have been taking him to the dog park on a regular basis and he just loves it. He now runs and plays with all the dogs. He has improved so much in the socialization department. I'm sure your pooch will too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow guys!! Thank you haha you've calmed mr down!! I think I over think things and get worked up!! I will let him go at his own pace and try to get him into a puppy socialization class. I think part of it is he's SO small he's like 2 pounds and 13 weeks old lol. Thank you again helps to relieve stress to know it can be done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts