Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been the third time! Where I live there is no off leash rules/laws, but some young bylaw officers think it's wrong. They see our german shepherd sitting out on the stairs and comes into our driveway "Is this your dog?...blah..blah..blah...public endangerment...next time I see him untied without a person around, you can go find him at the pound." Note we own practicaly all the land within a 2 km radius of our house, there is no public, it's a giant corn field...

I think this is just mockery of our pets, the first time the bylaw came it was about our 13 year old lab/shepherd mix that could barley walk. He said the same thing as the new guy up here....sigh..

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If the dog stays on your property, I'd tell them to bugger off. They can't take your dog to the pound if they've stolen him off your property!

On the flip side, I've had to yell at the folks down the street from me for allowing their dog off leash. He guards their yard/house and will come out onto the public sidewalk and even into the road barking and snarling to make his presence known. He's DA and he has no business being off leash in a residential area.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I don't think it's any of there business. They have better things to be doing than bothering your well behaved dog.

We have leash laws around here, but I often see dogs loose in yards. Most of them are well behaved and I don't think the police force is really bothered by the behaved ones. I have a neighbor that owns a female German Shepherd named Gretchen. She's never leashed and lays all over their yard in the summer. I've never seen her react to anything though; cars, dogs, etc. I walk by their house daily with the dogs and she never seems to care, always stays in her yard. This is the kind of thing I like; leash laws or none.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hummm...I went the "other way" in this...because we have snow FINALLY, &, our street is far less "busy" with traffic & all, I chose it as a time to spend more time with Leifs recall off-leash today....he didn't diasppoint me at all, &...he came back EVERY time!!...I am a VERRRYYYY proud Mum at this point!!:)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I do not know Ontario Law. Usually in the use Dogs are controlled under two parts of the law. In NY this is under Ag and Markets Law.

In NY the local town, village or City writes the leash law (As you know we have States.. and each State is broken up into sub areas with geogrpahic boundaries which we call Counties or Parishes, and those are further broken down into smaller areas of Town, Villages and cities.. and Each can have its own laws). I have never been warned about a leash law on my own property. I had a farm and my dogs were never on leash.. either on my land or my rented land and that was perfectly legal.. on over 400 acres total.

I cannot speak for Ontario, but I can say that in NY this would nto come up on my own land.

·
Banned
766 Posts
I don't know the laws in Canada, but...

If there are no leash laws and the dogs are on your property and the "law" comes onto your property to tell you what you need to do with your dogs (who aren't causing a problem) I would litterally tell that law enforcement officer that I have every intention of going to jail and paying for my laywer, but I will ensure that the public sees what an as*hole he is, and then tell him to get the **** off my land, and if he doesn't arrest me for whatever Barney Fife load of crap he has on his little mind, that if he does come back I will sue him and his office for harrasment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must admit our dogs are guard dogs, but they stay put unless something comes on our property, which has 4 drive ways spread out along 250m of the road. We need them untied to watch the whole area (we've been robed a couple of times). I said they came 3times, the second time they came was because some village person went for a bike ride with her little kids and saw my dog out on the stairs. She told her kids they could pet the
dog...OMG.. can she not read??? Our sign says BEWAR OF GUARD DOG, in french too! The bylaw was no help either, but the fact is that we really can't complain. The township HATES us farmers for no apperant reason, so we can't do mutch...sigh...

·
Banned
766 Posts
What part of my course of action did you not understand?

You do have rights in Canada don't you?

Are you willing to stand up for your rights?

I am a law abiding citizen, but I would never allow the police to abuse their powers, particularly if they were "abusing" me IMO.

Our sign says BEWAR OF GUARD DOG, in french too!
I wouldn't touch that one with a 10' pole. Neither would John Tarmonoski.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
The bylaw officer probably came by because someone called about it. In Toronto there IS a leash law and all dogs must be on leashes 6 feet or shorter unless in an approved off leash area (where they still must be under verbal control).

The woman with the kids was an idiot.

I would double check the dog laws in your neighbourhood and if the bylaw officer shows up again SHOW HIM the law printed out. Ask him if there has been complaints about your dogs so you have a better idea why he keeps showing up and then talk to a legal rep about it. There may be more to the story than you are being told. If your dogs are doing something when you are not supervising it is important for everyone's safety, including the dogs, to be aware of it.

BTW, are your dogs trained in protection/guard work or are they just guard TYPE dogs? A properly trained guard dog is less likely to get in trouble than an untrained one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have the German Shepherd, Lazy, and an Australian Shepherd, Whiskey. We don't train our dogs, we always have 2 dogs and the older one teaches the young one how things work (yes, I know that doesn't make sense, but it works). What they do is sit on the stairs or something like so, and when somebody comes they bark, show teeth, growl and grrrr...keeps most people in their car until we come, but if you go near theme at first they'll keep doing the above, then sniff, then keep doing the above. But if you reach out to pet theme they'll turn into babies! Lazy would flip on his back for a belly rub, and Whiskey will run away! So they're not aggressive, just scary which is enough.

I understand my rights. They don't, it is alos hard to find any dog laws in this area. It's almost like none exist. We've worked with the police before and they like us, we've had a couple of encounters with the bylaw and we hate each other (bylaws and police are different) And we do stand for our rights, you should have seen how my father flipped out on him (my dad is not the angry type). The bylaw also only shows when Lazy there, but Lazy has never done anything wrong, not to mention he only has one eye, and we always have an eye out for the dogs.

·
Banned
766 Posts
From what you've said, I'd just tell the "bylaw" to get off your property.

Apologies, not sure what the difference between the "bylaw" and a"police officer" is.

They keep coming back onto your property, have a voice recorder and record your conversations with them.

Find out what THIER problem is and rectify it.

I have a alarm which notifies me if a vehicle is coming down my drive way. By chance if I'm feeling ornary, I'll go outside next to the house and let off a quick 30 rounds. If the person coming down my drivway really wants to see me, they will. I'm not breaking any laws, and if by chance it is a Law Enforcement officer, they know to call ahead so I can expect them (some do come over to shoot).

You go on another mans property, you better have a reason for doing so.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I thought leash laws were for public property? We have to have our dogs on leash at all times in the parks and from what I understand on the streets too(there is one unfenced dog park :( )but I was under the impression that in your own yard your dog can roam free as long as it doesnt leave your property?

·
Banned
766 Posts
but I was under the impression that in your own yard your dog can roam free as long as it doesnt leave your property?
Apparently not to Barney Fife.

However, we are talking about Canada here.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
From what you've said, I'd just tell the "bylaw" to get off your property.

Apologies, not sure what the difference between the "bylaw" and a"police officer" is.
To be honest, there isn't a huge difference between a police officer or RCMP officer and a by-law officer. By-law generally handles all by-law offences. They do carry guns and can also pull people over and even arrest people.

·
Banned
766 Posts
I am in Canada
I'm sorry LOL

Hey, I used to date a girl from Canada hey:p

They do carry guns
That is where it can get interesting when a LEO is on your property with you legally discharging a firearm on YOUR property without your knowledge that the LEO is on your property.

As I've mentioned previously, if you don't ask, you may never get an answer. I'd record the conversation for documentation (and you may want to check with your local laws to see if the other person must be notified that they are being recorded).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, I checked with the township to complain about you know who, and guess what. Apperantly I wasn't the only one who wanted him gone, they said he got fired because he brought a couple off of leash dogs(which is perfectly legal) to the pound, and not to mention he shot my neighbours rottweiler. Old Rufy, he wouldn't hurt nobody. So ya, he was fired I believe, last Tuesday.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey guys, I checked with the township to complain about you know who, and guess what. Apperantly I wasn't the only one who wanted him gone, they said he got fired because he brought a couple off of leash dogs(which is perfectly legal) to the pound, and not to mention he shot my neighbours rottweiler. Old Rufy, he wouldn't hurt nobody. So ya, he was fired I believe, last Tuesday.
I'm glad he's fired, but so sad about the Rottie :( :mad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When we first came here the previous owner had leave his two rotties here, Tex and Rufy. So they were at our place for about 2 years... He was a very good dog. They told me that the guy shot him because he was being attacked, ya right, Rufy's jaw was injured and he was on a mushie diet, right he's gonna bite you.. Oh and I forgot to mention that the other guy is facing animal crualty charges! Serves him right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts