Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, Thanks for having me...
I'm feeling like a Bad Mom today. I have a Beautiful Husky/Heeler (We think), she will be a a yr old next month.
I feel like I'm a bad mom, & she deserves better then me. I'm saying this because this morning I was woke up by her at 8 am, I put her outside,she went to the bathroom, so I brought her back, & wanted to go back to bed for a couple more hours. I kicked her out of my room, because she wanted to play, & I wanted to sleep. When I finally woke up, realized my phone died, which meant my alarm also died, which meant I woke up an hour late for work. Well when I walked out of my room, the strong smell off "Poop" hits me... :puke:I went in to the spare room to find "A PILE" on my bed. After cleaning that up, & cursing & swearing:rant:, I walk downstairs to find ANOTHER pile on my carpet.:censored: She has pooped on the floor before, but NEVER on the bed. I work 3 jobs, so anywhere from 12-18 hours a day, which leaves very little time for walks with Nakoda, or play time for that matter, & I believe she feels negelected by me. By the time I get home at 10:30-11 pm, & have been gone pretty much all day long I just want to sit, & relax.
My boyfriend was the one who got me Nakoda, but he seems to forget that she exists. He seems to think that if he takes her out for 10-15 min walk a day thats good, if he even takes her out. We have had MANY arguments about the lack of resposibilities when it comes to her. He seems to be ok for a day or two then just brushes her aside, it makes me feel so bad for my Pretty Girl, & I can almost feel her sadness when he does this. Sounds crazy but its true.
I take her to the off leash park & run her for sometimes an hour or more. And we love spending that time walking together & playing with her friends there. And I know she really misses that when we don't get to go. But when I can't take her I exspect him to take her, & play with her. She is a Husky & full of energy, & she needs that in order for her not to be destructive, & poop all over.
He doesn't seem to believe me when I tell him this, he gets mad & walks out. If I can't get some help from him when it comes to her I don't know what I'm going to do. He doesn't take her & teach her anything, he might teach her "Tricks", but manors are more important for her own well being.
I wish I had more time to be with her, & I feel like she deserves better then me for a Mom.
I'm sorry that the first time I get on here I'm venting about a Boyfriend who can't seem to grasp the responsibilities of owning a dog.
She is trying to tell us that she is bored & needs more attention am I right???
Should I try to find her a new home??? Or should I maybe just find the Boyfriend a New Home?? He works 8 hrs a day, & the rest of his time is spent playing video games...Less stupid boyish games, & more manly duties are required I believe.
I would take her out at night when I get home, but we live with Coyotes, Cougars, & wolves, so night time walking is really not a good idea....I feel so crappy, & frustrated...

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are not a bad mom...especially because you realize that your pup needs more attention than you are able to give her. I think your boyfriend is very immature...how old is he anyway? With you working so much it just stands to reason that he should step up to the plate and do more. If he won't then I would look for a new boyfriend. I am a new puppy owner so I don't know if a dog can be away from their person for that many hours but regardless.....if you keep the dog or not....get a new boyfriend!!! You deserve better!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
an alternative to getting a new boyfriend, is make him pony up the cash for a dog walker or doggy daycare... for some reason there are certain concepts men can only truly understand when you take money out of their wallets! (don't get me wrong, love men. sometimes it's just hard to get your attention)

He is the one that brought the pup home, so he needs to step up. Whether that be cash or delaying video game playing.

is he being a big stubborn dummy head? Yep!

No matter how old we get, we can all act like dummy heads from time to time.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Either he starts caring for the dog, including 2 long walk/jogs a day, or find her a new home. You're not a bad mom for recognizing the dog needs more attention, and doing something about it.
I think the Boyfriend needs to be rehomed too! Doesn't sound very supportive.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I would like to see a pic, I have heelers also, they can be challenging at times.

I agree, I also have a demanding job with race horses where I work 7 days a week 60 + hrs per week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got off early tonight, so I took my Girl to the park, & we walked & played for about an hour. She had a good game of chase with her good buddy "River", & she came to work with me after for an hour. She is now sound asleep at my feet, & that makes me feel so much better. I really can't see me giving her away, when I got her I promised her a forever home with me. If "Boyfriend" can't get his "Poop In A Group", then he needs to take it else where. He is 31, he should be doing other things, besides playing video games. Like walking the dog...As you can see Nakoda has a Beautiful face, & I would sure miss it if it wasn't at the door greeting me.
Thanks for your inputs & helping me feel a bit better about "The Bad Mommy Syndrome". Good to know I'm not just being an emotional woman...lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nakoda is such a beautiful dog!!!

I understand how you feel.
I work several jobs too and my dog asks me to play but I just have too much to finish and always end up ignoring him.
I am also a little bit anxious about leaving the house on my own, and have problems just "walking" unless i have a certain destination I am heading to.
Luckily for me though, my BF is taking great care of him for me and always volunteers to take the dog for a walk.

On the other hand though, he is a little OCD so the showering, and picking up the poop etc is my responsibility.

Maybe if you can figure out you and your BF strength and weaknesses you can figure out a solution like we did.

Good luck! because it would be heart breaking to met such a pretty girl go.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Personally, I'd rehome the boy. Because at his age, it really is time to straighten up and start acting like an adult. There's nothing wrong with wanting to relax and have a little fun, but when you're working 12+ hours a day and he's a 9-5er basically, and he's the one who brought her home, he really needs to get off his hind end.
If by that age he can't act like a grown man and take a little responsibility, he's probably never going to.
But that's just my opinion on it. I'm no relationship counselor by any means, and I don't mean to offend!

I don't think your a bad dog mamma. The fact that you realize all this speaks volumes, as there are a lot of people who would just say 'she's fine' and brush it off.
Maybe if you can't get that overgrown seventeen year old to grow up, is there any way you hire a dog walker? Or is there a neighbor or a friend that you would trust with her while you're at work? That could help her a lot to have somebody there while you're at work.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If there's any chance he might be the father of your children one day (not to get too personal) you need to get him retrained or rehomed. If he works 8 hours a day he's got time to take her to the dog park! Think of her as a kid, is it fair that he's sitting around ignoring her playing video games? NOPE! I'd tell him he needs to take her for that dog park run before he sits to play video games - and have dinner made too!

If not then start up with a dogwalker service and let him know what it's costing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts