Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago we bought a French mastiff from a breeder in Oklahoma, we will keep names out since they have discontinued breeding. Supposedly all dogs are hip checked, so we decided to go for it since this is an awesome breed. We did have a contract saying if puppy was found to have hip dysplasia before a year old, we would get half our money back. Well my vet said they don't check until after a year old. This past December, we noticed he was hunching his back, and when he would stand from a lying position he would yelp out in pain. We took him to the vet for xrays and he was diagnosed with moderate hip dysplasia. He was given pain meds which helps a lot but the future is what we worry about. Hip replacement is very expensive and won't be an option for a while. So my question is, is there anything we can do to help him or relieve pressure/pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm so sorry. Glucosamine might help a bit. I would also keep him as lean as is still healthy, to remove as much weight as possible from the joints. This is something to coordinate with your vet, though. There is a fine line between lean and unhealthy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glucosamine? Can i get it from the vet, he didnt mention anything like that. And as for his weight,he used to be very thick. He now weighs about 90 lbs, which the vet said was an ok weight to keep him at. Poor thing, his hind leg muscles are beginning to deteriorate from where he avoids putting pressure on them. His structure is now very uneven :( Would anyone know if he would benefit from hip braces I've seen online ??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hip dysplasia can occur even if the parents/grandparents/great grandparents/etc have all been tested clear of it. French Mastiffs (Dogue De Bordeaux) are, as a breed quite prone to hip dysplasia. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals statistics says that over 50% of DDB xrays submitted to them for evaluation are graded as dysplastic and less than 2% are "excellent". They are ranked 3rd out of 164 breeds with first being the dogs with the statistically worst hips and last being statistically best. What that means basically is that there's a lot of DDB with bad hips, even well bred ones from breeders who health test.
http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html

The best things you can do for a dysplastic dog is to keep them very lean, on a good quality joint supplement and try to keep them well exercised. Having good muscling in the rear legs can go a long way to help with symptoms. The best forms of exercise for them are swimming, underwater treadmill or even just walking through water. I would suggest looking for a good rehab vet and/or vet chiropractor especially if you can find one who works on performance dogs in your area. Such vets can help you put together a exercise/rehab program that can help your dog become sound again. They also will be able to guide you in if/when a brace is appropriate for use. I think this is definitely a case where a second opinion with someone more knowledgeable on such things is called for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts