Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today when I walked in Choca thought she would do more than barking..she jumped up and hit me right man hood can be takin away. I scolded her a great deal for this. What should I do??? It is just every time I get home she will set at the door and bark bark bark.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You make it sound like she did this on purpose. From my viewpoint, she was just happy to see you and you collided but, you scolded her for her eagerness and lack of control.
That's why we do the training to sit politely for meeting/greeting (without barking) and avoid jumping accidents.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I learned my gonad protecting ninja skills when I owned a Great Dane. The tails on those dogs can leave you singing soprano if they catch you off guard just one time. You need more training, Grasshopper.

3 to 4 year old human children are even worse. Little boys like to show off their best knockout punch for Uncle Butthead, and they'll straight-arm you right to the floor. Ya gots ta pay attention! If you can't laugh that kind of thing off, you have no business being around kids and dogs.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I forgot to mention that the puppy exhuberance...that incredible thrill to see you.... is something you will miss greatly in the years to come.

I come home to silence. The dogs no longer greet us at the door.....no waging tails..no barks of Hello!....no smiles. They're old, lame and tired. So, now it's my turn....I go to them. I pet them..Smile...say Hello and whisper in their ears....wherever they are resting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that the puppy exhuberance...that incredible thrill to see you.... is something you will miss greatly in the years to come.

I come home to silence. The dogs no longer greet us at the door.....no waging tails..no barks of Hello!....no smiles. They're old, lame and tired. So, now it's my turn....I go to them. I pet them..Smile...say Hello and whisper in their ears....wherever they are resting.
she is almost 4 yrs old. I don't think this dog will ever calm down until i find a person that has a big fenced in back yard with larger breeds to show her she is not the boss. Like I have said before, my great grandma's collie showed Choca that she was not in charge there. She stepped on Choca once to get her away from her food, then she ate it just to get her mad.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Don't scold - you're just giving her the attention she wants. Remember - you've got friends, family, a job, books, and TV. She's got you, and you've been gone all day. She misses you; all things considered that's a good thing. Besides - you can use that to train her.

The next time you come home, ignore her. No eye contact, no greetings - just do what you normally do without acknowledging her in any way. If she jumps on you or barks, teach the "Off" command by turning around and walking away calmly. If and when she settles down, then you praise her and give affection. Eventually, she learns that jumping up and barking makes you go away, but sitting down quietly gets her attention & affection.

My dog is still exhuberant when I come home, but now all it takes is a slight shift in my stance and she goes into a sit. Her tongue is hanging out her mouth while her tail wags at about 50,000 RPMs, but she's sitting and waiting for me quietly. If she jumps up, I go away; if she sits patiently, she gets a pat on the head. If she lays down, she gets a massage to end all massages.

·
Registered
566 Posts
she is almost 4 yrs old. I don't think this dog will ever calm down until i find a person that has a big fenced in back yard with larger breeds to show her she is not the boss. Like I have said before, my great grandma's collie showed Choca that she was not in charge there. She stepped on Choca once to get her away from her food, then she ate it just to get her mad.
Are you planning on giviner her away because you feel you can not control her?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you planning on giviner her away because you feel you can not control her?

We gave her away once, they brought her back. I am not planing on it but it would just be nice to have a place to take her to let her run out her steam with a pack of hunting dogs.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
We gave her away once, they brought her back. I am not planing on it but it would just be nice to have a place to take her to let her run out her steam with a pack of hunting dogs.
You do know dogs dont come trained? at four years old you have obviously not done much of any training if you still have these issues that should have been traiend out years ago. Start training her to come, put some effort in to it. I see you have made similiar posts/threads about these issues over the years. Seems like you dont want to put forth the effort in to training a dog. I know you are only 15/16. But at that age I was training my new puppy all these basic things, su I missed out on alot with my friends. But now I have a 6 year old, wonderfully trained, totally reliable buddy I can take offleash, take in public, have peple over and dont need to worry about rude behaviours. ect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts