Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking charge of a foster puppy today and he came with a giant, unopened bag of science diet puppy. Crap food no doubt but my question is, how bad would it be to not open it and just start feeding my TOTW? I know they gave me the food so the puppy would be the least burden possible, but I just cant bring myself to open that big bag of terrible food.

Am I destined to a few days of diarrhea while the puppy adjusts, or should I stick with what he came with?

He is a 10-12 week old mutt about 20lbs if that makes any difference

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would guess you'd be in for some pretty big tummy upset to cold turkey switch. SD and TOTW are night and day and the TOTW is going to be SO much richer. Unless he has a tummy of steel, but not sure I'd want to find this out the hard way.

Ideally, if I was taking care of him, I'd gradually switch him over a minimum of 2 weeks, preferrably longer.

You can always donate the rest of the big bag to the shelter. ;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
the foster puppy with a private rescue I assume? I would give then back the bag of science diet so they can use it for another dog in their care, tell them you are happy to provide food for the puppy at your own expense, and just switch cold turkey.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I would honestly do a cold switch. The dog might have some tummy upset but I would rather have that than give a single kibble of SD. A dog on SD probably has runny poop anyway. Imagine if you got the dog and had no idea what it had been eating. You'd go right to TOTW right?

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you can find Prozyme in your area you might try adding that to the new kibble or some plain yogurt to help ease the transition. My dog is now an adult but I recently switched her cold turkey from canidae kibble to dehydrated Ziwipeak for breaky and Sojos for dinner with no runs at all. I think the Prozyme I add to her evening meal might have helped.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I say go cold turkey. Give them back the unopened bag or donate it to a shelter. How long did those others have him in foster care? He may have never been on that if he just came into foster care. He would probably love the better tasting food anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When we got both of our rescues, we switched them over to better food right away. Instead of mixing it with their old, junky food, we mixed it with white rice and boiled chicken (exactly what you give them after a period of diarrhea or vomiting) to ease them in.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Cold turkey. Add a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin to each meal.

I switched my foster over to a grain-free high protein food since she came to me eating Pedigree... First 2 days I let her eat the Pedigree while I worked on some other issues with her and then cold turkey to the Earthborn. No digestive upsets at all-- her poop on pedigree was so disgusting that the grain-free improved it immediately.

Give the SD back to the rescue or donate the unopened bag to a dog food bank.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I adopted a 7 month old kitten from the county shelter a few weeks ago. They suggested I continue feeding him SD wet and dry for the first week or so to ease his transition into my home. This worked until he discovered what the dogs are eating (Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw and Horizon Legacy kibble). He flat out refused to eat the SD and instead ate out of the dogs' bowls. I bought him Stella and Chewy's frozen raw and he very willingly eats it. He still sneaks a few kibbles from the dogs from time to time. He's a weird kitty.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I cold turkey'd Kabota from Purina to Wellness. He didn't even get an upset tummy or one soft stool. I can't promise you'll have that kind of luck, but why feed crap food longer than necessary? You can give back the bag or donate it to a shelter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I brought Lola home at 8 weeks I did a cold turkey switch with no issues. The breeder was feeding Ol Roy and although she sent me a bag home I just could not give that crap to my baby. I switched her to Simply Nourish and she did fine. I think that puppies can handle these things better than adult dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts