Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are planning a camping trip to the mountains, and as always, we will be taking our 5 year old Chihuahua, Petey.

In preparation for the trip, I went to Petco to buy some flea and tick repellant. I intended to buy Frontline Plus, but the Banfield Animal Hospital inside my local Petco doesn't carry it. They carry a different brand, named FirstShield Trio, which the vet nurse assured was just as good.

I bought a supply of the FirstShield and read over the directions before I applied it on Petey. I made sure it was for the correct dog weight class. An hour after I applied the FirstShield, Petey began acting very weird. He started running to all of the doors of the house, barking wildly as if an intruder was breaking in. He did this for quite a while. Then, his left rear leg started spasming out. It was twitching uncontrollably.

I immediately took Petey back to the Banfield Animal Hospital and asked them, "What the heck is in this stuff?" The nurse took Petey to the back and had the vet examine him. Ten minutes later she came out and said that Petey's heart rate, breathing and temperature were all normal. I asked her if Petey’s reaction to the medication was normal or if she had seen it before. She said no.

Some six hours later, Petey is better, but there is some residual twitching, and he is still doing some intermittent barking that is not normal for him.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen with this medication?

You can bet that I will NEVER use it again. I plan on calling the manufacturer in the morning and ask for my money back. If Petey isn't any better by tomorrow, I'm taking him to another vet for a 2nd opinion.

Craig

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm sorry you've had this experience, I for one avoid Banfield like the plague. They overcharge and I've found the vets aren't the best I've seen. Please monitor your dog carefully and if he's not improved get him to another vet ASAP. If he seems to get worse, get him to an E-vet and be sure you take the medication in with you.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have to agree with Carla regarding Banfield vets. I've never heart of FirstShield. I'm able to get what I use, if necessary, from my own vet, should I need it, never buying that kind of stuff from a pet store.

I hope Petey has a fast and full recovery. Poor guy! That must've been pretty scarey for you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience! I hope your dog will be okay.

Check the ingredients. Does Firstshield contain Permethrin (or anything with similar spelling)? Here is a news video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_uqBjvy7YI

I avoid using ANY chemical flea/tick repellant. Frontline does not contain Permethrin, so that is the one I would use if I did... but I use a natural remedy that works fantastically well, so I don't forsee using anything chemical.

What I use is food grade Diatomaecous Earth (DE). It's a bit more work because I have to dust my dogs every 4-5 days or so, but knowing that my dogs aren't going to have a reaction from harsh chemicals is worth it to me.

DE can also be fed as a natural dewormer and a digestive tract aid. It has benefits for humans, too.

Another natural flea/tick repellant is Neem. I use pure Neem oil in the dogs' shampoo. It can also be mixed into a natural bug repellant spray.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do Not Use FirstShield Products!!

Thank you for the replies. First of all, Petey is better today, but he still has some residual leg twitching.

Yes, FirstShield does contain Permethrin. I called the manufacturer today and spoke to one of their rep.'s. He said the vet at Banfield should have given Petey an immediate bath, to remove the product. They didn't. I gave him one though as soon as I got him back home. The rep. also said that Banfield should have taken an incident report. Again, they didn't. From here on, I will be like cshellenberger and avoid Banfield like the plague!

The FirstShield rep. told me to give Petey another bath using dish soap. He also said he would call Banfield and make arrangements for a full refund. The rep. said Petey's symptoms should go away by today. I told him they would be hearing from an attorney if they didn't.

I watched the YouTube video.....very scary.

Thanks everyone.

Craig

·
Registered
976 Posts
I hope Petey is doing good today. I don't like any chemicals. We use diatomaceous earth for Bailey and the dachshund.

I haven't seen this one on any news reports but Advantix uses Permethrin, too. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Craig,
I have a full plan to keep fleas off my dogs, first line of defense is in my yard, I spray with Nematodes, which are microscopic organisms that feed on insects such as Flea and tick larvae. I use a shampoo that contains NEEM oil, which is a tree extract that kills insects, mites, and fungus ( I also use neem as an organic insectide in my garden, it's actually safe for humans to consume). I live in a VERY warm climate and haven't had a flea infestation in years and I use no topicals (stopped when my cat had a bad reaction to one of the topicals).

IF I do see fleas, I use Dawn dish soap (the plain blue kind) it kills fleas better than ANY flea shampoo I've ever used. I thin brush through the dogs coat witha flea comb. I also immeadiatly put borax into the carpets and upolstered items that can't be taken up and washed and wash EVERY thing I can get into the machine in the hottest water available and BLEACH.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Straight from the bottle and let it sit on the dog for about 5 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts