Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Select a quick reply

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She warned us, but we didn't listen. Maggie hates the Lexington Jacobson "dog park". Watch this well known, small & very smart dog defend herself in two dog attacks occuring within seconds of each other.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
That was a pretty rude boxer - thank goodness it was only noise.
So what was your reason for filming this? And why do you take her to the dog park if its not an enjoyable experience for her?

·
Super Moderator
11,490 Posts
I'm sorry it happened but I, too, wonder why it was being video-taped. That is not a normal response to a dog in trouble.

And why, exactly, is this a poll?

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
I don't understand why you would film this instead of protecting your dog from other dogs. This is a good way to destroy trust ......
when your dog doesn't feel that its human can protect him/her that is a great way to make for an aggressive dog that doesn't trust its human

this was foolishness all the way around....
from taking your dog to a dog park she doesn't like to filming the incident....

ridiculous
s

·
Registered
188 Posts
It looked to me like the dispute was over the frisbee. Perhaps it's not a good idea to take toys to an enclosed area for dogs?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I couldnt see the video its blocked at my work..but some people are so harsh with what they say....not everyone has the same thoughts about things and I've seen it quite a few times of just bashing each other on here...I know everyone has their opinions and when they ask what other people think they usually tell them but the way it is put i believe is just un called for sometimes! There has been times while at the dog park and a dog would get in a tiff with Rosie I have not been right by her side to stop a potential fight I cant be chasing my dog over a couple acres of ground..i honestly cant say anymore without watching the video of course to see for MO.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I can see MAYBE by chance catching the first fight on tape but wouldn't you stop when you should be trying to help your dog out? How could you let it happen the second time and actually videotape everything?? The last thing I would be doing is videotaping-why did you not try to intervene and get your dog out of a park that you KNOW she dosen't like?? Why put your dog in that situation when you know she dosen't like it in the first place?? And you are polling this for what reason? I just don't get it, I guess. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
830 Posts
It looked like a mutual fight over a frisbee. That is why I never take toys into the dog park anymore unless no one else is there. I stick to picking up the grungy tennis balls left behind. The only exception is the tennis balls I bring to use when playing fetch and swim in the lake, but not as many dogs are over there as are in the dog park proper and they tend to be better behaved and supervised bc that area is not fenced.

And on the other issue, if either of those had been my dog, I would have been pissed if the owner of the other hadn't jumped in to break it up - which is what I would have done, then removed the source of the conflict (the frisbee) to make sure it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dogs get into fights. It happens. They play and play and play and sometimes food comes into question or a toy or something stupid, and then someone needs to take alpha.

Dogs can take care of themselves pretty well. If you've only had one pet in the house at a time, you probably won't understand that. I've had two and three dogs at a time for years, and quite bluntly, sh1t happens.

The Boxer was definitely being naughty, which bothers me because boxers are my favorite breed.

For those of you complaining about videotaping instead of helping the dog, it would seem there's several voices in the conversation, so there's not just one owner there. Remember - no leashes here.

Getting in between dogs, especially at the START of a fight is dangerous. Mini or small dogs, sure. You can pick them up and walk away. Medium +? Forget it if you want to keep all your fingers.

Unless you have a hose or a broom handy, it's safest to wait a second. It's usually just noise and pushing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is no way I could video a dog fight involving my dog. I would be doing anything I could to protect my dog and end the fight. Including, asking (loudly) the owner of the other dog to get control of their dog, too. Afterwards, I would have been checking my dog over to see if there were any injuries. Puncture wounds don't always bleed alot and I would want to know that my dog was ok. Then, we would be outa-there-quick.

As for the poll - the owners are to blame for the second attack, Maggie defended herself and yes, dogs will be dogs.

Maggie's adorable and it's obvious you have spent alot of time working with her, so I just can't get my head around why you didn't step in to try to head off the second attack.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh, hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. More so when you're an outside observer!!

Anyway...

1) Maggie didn't seem like she hated being there, in the video. She was wagging her tail, and looking interested in frisbee.

2) the first dogfight was just one of those things... they're dogs. It ended quickly. The video just captured it. No biggie. At this point, no one's really at fault in my eyes... dogs being dogs, unexpected event, whatever.

3) the second fight, I'd have stopped filming and stepped in to intervene, as the boxer wasn't letting up. I'd also have been cussing Lexi's owner a blue-streak. She was there for the first fight, but still not moving in for the second fight. At this point, both owners needed to step in and address the issue, not just film it, or just say, "lexi, lexi, lexi." Fault goes to each owner, IMO.

So, there's my Monday morning quarterbacking, armchair psychology and personal opinion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
1.) Maggie is happy to be at the park.

2.) Pay more attention. (I'm being serious, not mean). If one is going to attend a dog park where unstable dogs are known to visit, you should at least know a thing or two about canine body language. This fight could have possibly been prevented.

3.) The first fight was not fully filmed, it would serve no purpose to comment on it with only half an image of what took place.

4.) During the second fight, where was the frisbee (though I doubt this had anything to do with it.)

5.) While I will admit, I could not see her eyes and it's a poor quality video. Maggie did simply defend her self.

The Boxer was standing straight aimed at Maggie where as this can be interpreted as direct intent of aggression/intimidation.
Maggie was standing side ways to the boxer, cow eared (not alert or aggressive), tail raised and wagging slowly (unsure), the moment before the boxer attacks her she even looks away from the dog, and I could only imagine she then probably showed the boxer the whites of her eyes (another sign that she is unsure and not a threat to the boxer.)
After the fight, Maggies back is facing the boxer, she is beaten and she knows it, she does not want to fight or defend herself.

6.) What was the point of posting this here for us?

·
Registered
660 Posts
*scratches head*

I'm not quite getting it. But things like this (and stories I've read here) have discouraged me from ever going to an off leash dog park.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Roscosmom:

I agree, and it's a shame!
Many of the dogs we've had, never made it to a DP for one or two reasons... a local park had some insane owners/dogs at it, or our dog was not up to snuff behavior and training wise to be allowed at such a place.

Only our well trained and well socialized dogs visit the GOOD parks, and when they do we are always near them.
At the first sign of a problem if the other dog and owner doesn't leave, we will.
I won't take a chance.

It is a shame because dog parks can be such a wonderful place when used correctly.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The Boxer was standing straight aimed at Maggie where as this can be interpreted as direct intent of aggression/intimidation.
Maggie was standing side ways to the boxer, cow eared (not alert or aggressive), tail raised and wagging slowly (unsure), the moment before the boxer attacks her she even looks away from the dog, and I could only imagine she then probably showed the boxer the whites of her eyes (another sign that she is unsure and not a threat to the boxer.)
After the fight, Maggies back is facing the boxer, she is beaten and she knows it, she does not want to fight or defend herself.
All these are signs that Maggie was trying to 'calm' the Boxer. I would show this film to AC and give them the info on the Boxer and the owner (tag # ect) then I'd find a different dog park to go to.

As far as intervention, the first fight didn't need it, the second fight might have gotten you bitten if you didn't know what you were doing. The ONLY safe way to stop a fight if you don't have a broom, is to grab the aggressors back legs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All these are signs that Maggie was trying to 'calm' the Boxer.
That is exactly right! Nice to see some others with a good head on their shoulders, at least in this regard.

I too prefer the wheel barrow technique though I will admit there is no one way for every single dog out there.

Tommy :

There is one more thing to mention about the lifting of the back legs (aka wheel barrow technique). Keep Moving!
Some dogs are just wiggly enough to get out of it, or flip backwards and nip you. Keep moving backwards in a zig zag pattern until the dog is secured, staying one step ahead of them.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts