Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jack-a-poo, Bohdi , who is around 2 years old, i adopted him about a year ago. In the begining he was very good with other dogs, the only problem i had was him urinating on everything but i corrected that in two weeks. My sister has a Giant black dog(male) who is very submissive and all he would like to do is play with Bohdi but every time He walks by Bohdi growls sometimes even snaps, everyday all day. we have another dog which is female but we don't have a problem Bo loves her. Also now when we walk he lunges at the dogs barking through the fences ,growls, he gets quite hostile. I have tried many ways to correct him but i don't seem to be having much success. . . . Any Ideas? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I have tried many ways to correct him but i don't seem to be having much success. . . . Any Ideas?
If you haven't taught him which behaviors are preferred, you're exacerbating the problem with "corrections." He's warning the dogs for a reason, and you're giving him more reasons to warn them. If you're allowing the dog to deal with other dogs without asking for the behavior you prefer, you're exacerbating the problem with reactivity. You need to be proactive.

1) You need to abuse NILIF.
2) You need to put attention behaviors on cue.
3) You need to improve your dog's impulse control.
4) You need to control your dog's encounters with distance - adding distance when you don't approve, never encroaching on a too-close distance to test your dog's behavior, and rewarding heavily for improved distance and behavior.
5) You need to reward ALL approved encounters, and ignore or disrupt unapproved encounters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts