Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to house break and train my fiances 4 year old yorkie we almost succeeded but now she is terrified of me, and all I do is raise my voice and put her into her cage or outside, I had better luck with the spray bottle but i thought that was a bit mean
What do i do to make her stop peeing on all my stuff because she is scared of me.
Its making me extremely frusterated to the point where I come home i dread seeing the thing because I know it will pee somewhere and I will have to discepline it so at least it knows its doing wrong.
Are these dogs just too mentally slow to be trained she must know by now that peeing in the house or defecating in the house is bad, and that is why she is being punished not that im scary and love puttng her into a time out or yelling bad

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
She obviously doesnt know better and/or is being submissivly peeing.

what do you do if she:
pees in front of you?
pos infront of you?
Pees if you yell?
pees in the house, but before you come home, so say 2 hours later you come home and find the puddle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pees in front of me I say no, grab her by the waist turn her upsidedown, I know sounds nuts but if I dont she will continue to pee all over the floor and possibly me and put her outside and say pee here.
she has never pooed in front of me, only hides it if I leave the basement open. dog was much worse before but I think my agressve traning although has worked she no longer pees when excited or just pees on the floor, only because of me being around will she pee now. and no I dont hit the dog, only once or twice when she has snapped at me i have LIGHTLY and quickly tapped her snout. its the low loud voice I think that started the intimidaton and now she is terrified
d

·
Registered
705 Posts
You need to admit that what you are doing now is not working and work on changing your whole perception of this problem.

She is scared of you and then pees. You should not yell at her or pick her up upside down. What you need to do is ignore the dog completely. When you walk in the house, ignore the dog. If she pees, then calmly clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner to get the smell out (Natures Miracle is a good brand) without saying anything to her.

What you need to do is teach the dog that you are a good person. Get some delicious treats and occasionally drop them near the dog not saying anything, then walk away. these treats need to be good. Hotdogs that are cut up in little pieces, small pieces of cheese, etc. Keep them about the same size as your pinky nail. Keep treats in your pocket. If she comes up to you, slowly throw a treat on the floor for her. Over time, she will come to see you as a bringer of good things.

You should not speak loudly around her or do anything that can be percieved as aggressive to her. Don't stare at her, tower over her, or try to pick her up. All you are doing is making her more scared of you.

As far as potty training, if she is not potty trained then put her back on a schedule. Set a timer. Take her outside to pee/poop every 2 hours or so.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You need to admit that what you are doing now is not working and work on changing your whole perception of this problem.

She is scared of you and then pees. You should not yell at her or pick her up upside down. What you need to do is ignore the dog completely. When you walk in the house, ignore the dog. If she pees, then calmly clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner to get the smell out (Natures Miracle is a good brand) without saying anything to her.

What you need to do is teach the dog that you are a good person. Get some delicious treats and occasionally drop them near the dog not saying anything, then walk away. these treats need to be good. Hotdogs that are cut up in little pieces, small pieces of cheese, etc. Keep them about the same size as your pinky nail. Keep treats in your pocket. If she comes up to you, slowly throw a treat on the floor for her. Over time, she will come to see you as a bringer of good things.

You should not speak loudly around her or do anything that can be percieved as aggressive to her. Don't stare at her, tower over her, or try to pick her up. All you are doing is making her more scared of you.

As far as potty training, if she is not potty trained then put her back on a schedule. Set a timer. Take her outside to pee/poop every 2 hours or so.
This.

Ignore her. Don't even look at her if you can avoid it.

(My roommate's chihuahua used to "piddle" when I greeted her either because she was nervous, excited, or both)

You can toss treats(underhand) for her being calm near you. You need to build that confidence and trust.

As for potty training:
Clean up with enzyme cleaner so that the smell is completely gone. If it smells like urine to her, it smells like a dandy place to go to the bathroom.

Keep her in a crate if she is not being directly supervised(you need to go back to basics).

Start a potty schedule and reward her with a high value treat when she does her business outside.

And pay attention to your body language.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
She's submissive peeing. She's trying to tell you that she is scared of you. Yelling, or turning her on her back is wrong and will make it worse. (NEVER do that...it can make a dog start biting. It doesn't work. In the wild, wolves would OFFER their bellies to show submission...not throw one down. Big difference).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts