Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young pup... possibly 18 weeks old at the most. She doesn't dirty her indoor crate, but I'm thinking that there may be days that I won't be able to get home at lunch to let her relieve herself.

Ok, so she has dachshund legs. The height of this outdoor kennel area is not terribly important.

However, I'd like it to be long enough that she can get well away from her bedding area in order to relieve herself. Her bedding, hang out area should have a few different spots to "be" (inside a dog house... on top of a dog hammock.. etc).

So, does anyone have recommendations on an expandable dog kennel system... especially one that looks pretty good?

I could tolerate those chain link one's, but they are very tall (don't want to pay for height) and the gaps between the gate are a bit large... thinking she can squeeze through.

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
How long during the day are you gone for? Because at barely 3 months old, my then 2.5lb Papillon was holding it for eight hours and she did fine. :) I'm sure with a little xpen, with a crate inside and some toys, she'll be fine.. depending on how long you're gone for.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd be very wary of keeping a young dog, especially a small one, outside unattended, especially for long periods of time. There are lots of things that can go wrong, and then it will be hours before anyone is around to help. (Weather, getting caught on the fencing, animal attacks, being stolen or abused by a human, being attacked by another dog, etc.)

If your only real concern is holding it, keep her inside in a dog proofed room or an area sectioned off with an expen.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My work day may be only 8 hours, but to me, that doesn't account for the actual time that she has to hold it.

For instance, she usually "goes" at 5:30am.... and I can't get her to go again before heading off to work at 8am. If I were to stay out until, say, 4pm we're talking close to 11 hours of "not going"! Surely other people have much longer days than that.

Regardless, I live on 8 acres. I'm not seeing many dangers...especially with a fully enclosed kennel system. This one looks pretty cool:
http://www.petsafe.net/products/fencing-and-containment/kennels/cottageview-dog-kennel

There might be the occasional reality that prescribes an outdoor run. I'm an indoor dog kinda guy, but don't want to give this dog any practice "going" indoors.

My previous dogs have spoiled me. They were all acquired at adults and you couldn't beg them to have an indoor accident... they'd hold it forever. Even after a 10 hour day, they'd take a few minutes before "going" when you let them outside.

With a puppy (this is my first), I have no confidence at all. It's like living with a hyper, drunk person.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's the same for Cali. She goes at about 6 in the morning and doesn't go again until 4, so ten hours. Keep in mind that it's been like that since she was only 10 weeks old. Her indoor setup is Mo's old crate with a smaller plastic crate (complete with a blanket and such), plus some toys, food and water. She's never used the bathroom in her crate and uses the bathroom outside once I get home. I just recommend keeping the crate and maybe adding a x-pen. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Be sure, with a small pup that anything you do outside is completely covered. Believe it or not, birds of prey are a threat. Also, if you have coyotes, be aware that they can jump or climb most anything that doesn't have a coyote roller on it. I'd probably opt for a safe, indoor area with either a litter box or one of those turf things. The substrate is more like outdoors than piddle pads, and make for an easy transition.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She's not really going to get any practice holding it if you keep her outside all day. Part of having a puppy is cleaning up accidents. Coyotes, foxes, hawks and even feral cats will be a serious risk. It doesn't seem worth it just to avoid some puddles.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
One of the main reasons for taller kennel is ease of cleaning it. The shorter the kennel height with a roof on top means you are ducking or crouching when entering/cleaning the kennel. It's not a big deal but just thought I would mention it. Also place kennel if possible out of sight of any road going by for possible dog thieves. Also horse trailer rubber mats are tough flooring as you want no digging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts