Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ralphie currently wears a small backpack I stuff with some plastic bags. No weight yet. It has a clip at the back for his leash for when I take him out on the long line. Unfortunately, this particular backpack seems to slip around on him a lot when I use the leash attachment even though it has two straps under his belly. I have it tight enough so that I can slip two fingers beneath the straps (should it be tighter?). He seems comfortable in it, but I would like something better.

So, any suggestions on good backpacks that I can fit a couple water bottles and maybe some food in for day-long trips? Nothing too bulky, and something that has an attachment for a leash and won't slip around so much.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have an outward hound backpack for my Aussie. I love it, you can fit a couple water bottles, some bags, treats, and some snacks it it. It's waterproof too so that is nice! I got it last year when I broke my ribs and was going to a horse show that required all day walking. I couldn't carry a bag myself like usual so he carried all my things. I think that was the safest place for my money/wallet too! I've used it for hiking trips too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-22005-Adjustable-Saddlebag/dp/B000UTA1G4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458044758&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+backpacks

I got this one for Kaya, not sure if this is the same outward hound bag you have, lauren17. I like it a lot. It fits more stuff than it looks like it can but it is slim and not too bulky. The harness part is mesh so be careful if you have a puller. I got a medium and kaya is probably just over 50lbs. The straps under the tummy are tightened all the way but the chest ones aren't. It slides a little but nothing major. All in all, its a great bag for a long hike!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-22005-Adjustable-Saddlebag/dp/B000UTA1G4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458044758&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+backpacks

I got this one for Kaya, not sure if this is the same outward hound bag you have, lauren17. I like it a lot. It fits more stuff than it looks like it can but it is slim and not too bulky. The harness part is mesh so be careful if you have a puller. I got a medium and kaya is probably just over 50lbs. The straps under the tummy are tightened all the way but the chest ones aren't. It slides a little but nothing major. All in all, its a great bag for a long hike!
That's the one I have for Ralphie, in a small. I feel like I've tightened it as far as I can without hurting the dog, but the weight of the lead dragging on the ground still makes it slip.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I love the Ruffwear Approach backpack I have for Duke. Doesn't seem to shift around on my weirdly shaped dog (one of the only things I've found that don't shift around on him actually). But, I typically don't attach the leash to the backpack when using it, so that could change things. I would definitely recommend finding a local store that carries Ruffwear and try them on your dog to see how the fit is. The quality of anything Ruffwear is fantastic as well!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I love the Ruffwear Approach backpack I have for Duke. Doesn't seem to shift around on my weirdly shaped dog (one of the only things I've found that don't shift around on him actually). But, I typically don't attach the leash to the backpack when using it, so that could change things. I would definitely recommend finding a local store that carries Ruffwear and try them on your dog to see how the fit is. The quality of anything Ruffwear is fantastic as well!
I agree! Ruffwear is great. Too pricey for the time frame I was looking in but when this bag gets too beat up, I'll pick up a Ruffwear one

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Ralphie is kind of a weird shape, too. He has a big chest and a tiny waist and is gangly as all get out, but he is only about 8 months old now. I noticed the clip for the leash is more forward than on my current backpack, which is located at the very back past the last belly strap, so perhaps that's why it slips so badly. I imagine a clip more in the middle will help it not slip?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
+1 for the Ruffwear. Really great quality products and awesome customer service. Super rugged, and holds up better than the Outward Hound IMO. I also never leash directly to the backpack, I use the collar attachment. So I can't really speak to the slipping in that regard.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

I almost got this one but ended up getting a different one. I'm on my phone so it's hard to paste a link to the one I bought. I posted a pic of him wearing it in his picture thread I think. I haven't clipped his leash to it yet though so I'm not sure if it slips doing that. I'll have to test it out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the Outward Hound backpack and I have to say I don't like it much. It seems durable enough, and maybe some or even all of the problems I have are due to my dog's shape(really deep chest, really narrow waist). Basically the issues are 1) It shifts around a LOT. Like, a lot a lot. 2) The straps loosen rapidly, like over the course of a one hour hike the belly strap had basically become completely pointless yesterday, it was so loose that I could have fit my whole fist between the strap and his belly.

We're looking at the Ruffwear Approach pack right now because the Front Range harness we got from them has been great. He's kinda outgrowing it now though, but as far as the straps staying tight and the general quality it's a great harness so I expect the Approach pack to be just as good. Yeah, it is more expensive(twice as much, basically), but I'd rather spend an extra $50(Canadian) vs having to constantly adjust the Outward Hound pack. I know a lot of people have had good luck with the Outward Hound backpack, so like I said it could come down to my dog and his shape or how he moves or...I don't know, but it definitely doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a harness that is MOLLE compatible. So it is has the webbing to attach any MOLLE pouches, which are available in numerous sizes, dimensions, and specialties (water bottle, regular pouch, etc.). MOLLE gear is what the military uses for all of its pouches and gear. I'm a veteran, so I already have a bunch of MOLLE gear around to attach to the harness, but it allows you to modify and change out whatever you need to adapt to whatever you want your dog to carry (multiple water pouches for more water, larger pouches for more food, etc.) Rather than being stuck with a set number of pouches and compartments.

This is what the harness looks like on Twix (is comes in different colors as well).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
That Molle one looks pretty durable! Does it slide much with the leash attached to it?
It's amazing and also has handles at the top front and rear in case I need to pick him up. It also has velcro down the entire top for any patches or tags.

It stays in place for the most part. Every now and then, if he really tries, it will shift a bit to one side or the other but only a very small amount.

This is link to the harness.
https://www.rayallen.com/product/Modular-LLC-Harness/modular-harness-systems

It's a little pricey, but extremely well-made and versatile. I leave it without pouches for normal walks, add a couple water bottle pouches for longer walks/hikes, and will add a few pouches for food and misc. items when we go on all-day hikes or camping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Ralphie is pretty much finished growing now at 52 lbs. His other backpack got too small so I purchased the Ruffwear Approach backpack. I just received it in the mail, and so far I like it. I've tried it on Ralphie, seems to fit well. I also like the durable construction.

Just in case anyone was interested, lol.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Good choice, quality product with thoughtful design. My dogs each have an Approach backpack and a Front Range harness.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good choice, quality product with thoughtful design. My dogs each have an Approach backpack and a Front Range harness.
It seemed to be the most popular here, and I had free shipping on Amazon, lol! But yeah, I just took Ralphie out on his long line with it, and it's great. I even had the belly strap waaayy too loose and it didn't slip horribly as long as Ralphie wasn't pulling to the side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts