Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I would like advice on training my 3 1/2 year old lab.

I would like to be able to back out of the garage without having to put him back inside. He does not run off, so that is not an issue. But we do have to get out of the car and go let him back in the garage after we back out and close the garage door.

I will tell you what I have tried so far: I will give him the "kennel" command so he gets in the kennel. I leave the door open. I put a treat on the ground several feet from the kennel. He will stay in the kennel while we back the car out. I then yell through the window "good dog!", and he releases and gets the treat.

I thought once I did this a few times we would get the gist that once the garage door goes down, he can get his treat. But no--he will stay in that kennel until I release him. I hate that the thought of me driving off and him staying in the kennel waiting to be released!

Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why is he in the garage? Is this just while you're gone so he won't eat up the house?

1. I would suggest dog proofing a room and leaving him there instead.

2. You may just have to get out of the car and give the release command. If you tell him to stay and fail to release him, you're damaging the stay command by leaving it up to him when he releases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts