Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved into a much larger house than before with no doggy door. Misty had stopped having accidents at five months old (which was as soon as we got the doggy door). All of a sudden, she's having poop accidents left and right. The house is huge, and I've told my SO that he has to trail her or tie her to him, but he's a lot more lax than me.

At first, she was having accidents in the front room of the house. I caught her and corrected her, and she stopped. Now she's going futher into the house into a bedroom to relieve herself. I don't understand. She goes there with full intention to go, and has decided for whatever reason that this is where she should go.

I know what to do--not let her out of my sight.. It's simply frustrating because she hadn't had ANY accidents in months when we had the doggy door. Now she's trying out every room in the house.. Whenever caught and corrected, she moves onto the next room.

Seriously?

I just didn't expect to have to REtrain her to potty outside when she was doing beautifully before. I take her out every hour, and she NEVER has urine accidents.. Only poop. And she'll even try to go and poop in the house RIGHT after peeing outside. Within five minutes.

Puppies are hard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think it's common for dogs to "forget" housetraining when they're moved to a new place. I moved twice in the last year and both times started out with housebreaking 101. The first move to a tiny apartment was pretty easy but when we moved to a house 2x the size of what she had been in before, I didn't take any chances.

We gated off all the rooms but the one we were in, watched her 100% of the time, put her on a new bathroom schedule, jackpot treated when she went outside, and gradually let her into other rooms. First we let her in them with us while we played with her, then she was allowed in there to sleep and relax on her own. Took a while to work through all the rooms in the house, but she's fine now.

The only accidents she had were poops - one time she was upstairs alone the first time we had a house full of company and the other was when she was allowed in the basement - a room we hadn't trained her not to go in.

I think the pooping was related to her not wanting to go in her new potty area. She was used to going in a specific place that was protected on 3 sides with walls/fencing and now her potty area is out in the open. I'm guessing pooping makes them feel more vulnerable - maybe the pup doesn't feel comfortable yet in the new place? Just guessing. And you're right, puppies are hard!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she's comfortable, she's shown no signs of stress at all.. The only new problem besides the potty training setback that's come up is her having fits when I leave. But they're not severe enough to be SA and she usually quiets down after about five minutes.

I guess I just need to train her room by room, like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Generally when you move to a new house puppies will need to be reminded about house training as they don't see the new house as their 'den'. Something along those lines. Good luck, just stay on top of it and I'm sure she'll be back to accident free.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dogs will poop in a room because it's far enough away to be considered ok to them. My wife's dachshunds would do it all the time so we just started closing all the doors :p

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
We sometimes forget that dogs do not generalize very well and must be trained from the beginning in several places before they understand that the "rules" apply everywhere.

For your pup, just go back to the beginning with no unsupervised house freedom, confining when can't be closely watched, and evrything on a schedule. And don't forget to clean all accident areas with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle (good job for your SO since he's more lax). Is she crate trained?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We sometimes forget that dogs do not generalize very well and must be trained from the beginning in several places before they understand that the "rules" apply everywhere.

For your pup, just go back to the beginning with no unsupervised house freedom, confining when can't be closely watched, and evrything on a schedule. And don't forget to clean all accident areas with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle (good job for your SO since he's more lax). Is she crate trained?
Yes, she's crate trained. It's just that she's a fast little thing and is going into the room with intention to poop, so she gets it done quickly. We've remedied this by having that door closed and stopping any unsupervised time. And, yes, we've cleaned with Nature's Miracle. I'm going to be setting up "traps" the next few weeks.. Wherein when I'm fairly sure she has to go (as she's on a schedule and poops twice a day--once in the late morning/afternoon and once at night after her walk) I'm going to purposefully walk her into the room she's gone in and if she goes, correct her. I know that if I correct her she'll stop..

Like I said, puppies are just hard. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts