Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miller has been throwing up Alot. I do not think he is digesting this raw food very well. I think I am going to put him back kibble.

I cannot have raw chicken being puked up on my floor that my children play on. Also his lips and around his eyes seem to be alot redder than normal. He rubs his face all over the carpet and sofa now as if his face is always itchy.Can a dog be allergic to chicken?

It has only been a lil over a week but I am worried about him.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Can a dog be allergic to chicken?

Yes, they can be allergic to specific meat proteins. Try switching to another protein source and see if it continues.

Also, depending on the quality of the kibble you were feeding before raw, the "kibble detox" period can be pretty intense. This will last for about a week or so, and can definitely include severe diarrhea, vomiting, vastly increased shedding, and a few other symptoms.

Is he puking right after he eats, or all day long?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been throwing up at night. I feed him at 8:30am and 5:30pm. It is around 10ish when has been throwing up. Nothing even looks close to digested. Its rather gross tbh. I saw a complete chicken gizzard in there!

Also Miller had gas before but now he can seriously clear a room with his gas.

His stools were fairly consistent to what they had been on kibble before. I have not notice a decrease in them nor any Diarrhea.

Sorry I know this is kinda gross.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also his lips and around his eyes seem to be alot redder than normal. He rubs his face all over the carpet and sofa now as if his face is always itchy
This is similar to our dogs reaction to Nutro kibble. Both, Lola and Ilya, had itchy ears and their tummies looked pinkish.

I would watch how your dogs react to the type of raw food you are introducing. I learned recently, Ilya can't tollerate too much salmon possibly because of the oil/fat content of the fish. A few other husky owners told me to keep it down to less than 8 oz a week and no more than 2 oz a day. I tried this and we didn't experience any issues. Our terrier didn't have any uncomfortable reaction to salmon at all.

I still havent gone 100% raw because of the different reactions I've noticed so far. I'm using kibbles as a base and introducing various raw meat/bones as a supplement.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Tess.

I think I will feed him a kibble and give him a few raw treats here n there. I'm still a lil nervous about it in general. Getting things just right.

He loves his meals now that he is on raw and I think he will be upset with me, but like many ppl have said a good kibble is far better than a bad raw diet. I want the best for him. Getting sick and itchy is not good imo.

Also having raw chicken puke on my livingroom floor has really upset me. I clean all work surfaces and feeding surfaces with bleach but I cannot bleach my livingroom carpet.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sorry I know this is kinda gross.
It's totally fine. It's the kind of things we need to hear to help you out.

As far as the undigested matter, it's fairly normal in the adjustment process. The acid content of your dogs stomach, and the enzyme load is changing. The system has to completely reboot before it can fully and efficiently digest the raw meat. The gas and the vomiting can easily be products of the switch.

If you want some advice, here it goes:

Keep on the chicken for another few days. Give it at least a full two weeks. If you can't deal with the vomiting, just start crating the dog a while before he normally starts. The crate is much easier to clean up.

If there is no change by the end of that period, try another protein source. I know Rocky is extremely sensitive to turkey. If he even has 2 ounces of turkey, he vomits and has diarrhea for a day or two. Your dog may be sensitive to chicken. If you switch the protein source up for a week or so after, you should see results fairly quickly as his histamine levels drop.

·
Banned
51 Posts
I think you are trying to rush things much too fast. That evidently is part of your personality bacause no only are you rushing him into the raw diet, you are rushing to get him out. You are not giving it a fair chance. This is not an instant gratification thing.

Over feeding can cause the problems you are describing. If you put more food in the stomach than the stomach can handle at this stage of introduction, the stomach will get tired and empty itself.

As someone else said, his digestive system must learn to operate the way it's supposed to. Right now its used to digesting a high carb processed diet and it has to switch over to pure animal products. Thats the reason for starting slowly with chicken only for a couple of weeks until the digestive system straigntens itself out.

You mentioned seeing a whole gizzard being thrown up. You shouldn't feed organs of any kind for a month or two to allow the digestive get up and running at full speed.

Slow down, feed the dog less and don't feed anything but chicken meat and bones for a couple of weeks before slowly introducing other protein sources into the diet. Your dog will be just fine. Just don't expect instant results and slow down some.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You mentioned seeing a whole gizzard being thrown up. You shouldn't feed organs of any kind for a month or two to allow the digestive get up and running at full speed.
Oh wow, I totally missed that part.

Yeah, you shouldn't be feeding ANYTHING except for straight muscle meat and bones from only chicken for the first two weeks. No organs. No varied proteins sources. One thing at a time.

The organs alone could cause the vomiting easily.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No organs for a month?!

How is that balanced at all?

Would this cause his skin to go red and obviously be itchy?

He isn't used to a high carb kibble. He was on grain free kibble before the switch.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How is that balanced at all?
The key to raw feeding is balance over time, not balance every day.

You take those first few weeks to slowly transition your dog into raw. They have some very serious biological changes (for the better) during this time. Some dogs can handle the cold turkey all-at-once change over, but most cannot.

The one month of having no organs will not make your dog any worse for the wear. Trust me, I did it with Rocky, and dozens of people on this board and hundreds elsewhere have successfully made a change over this way.

Very simply put, the changeover should look something like this:

Week 1: Nothing but chicken rmb.
Week 2: Nothing but chicken rmb.
Week 3: Introduce 1 new protein source, ideally some other type of white meat/poultry. Add in a tiny portion of a single organ (most likely liver) on two days.
Week 4: Introduce a second new protein source. You can start moving towards red meat now. Add in a slightly larger portion of organ meat, and one new organ (heart is my choice).
Week 5 and beyond: At this point you should be good to go on feeding the normal 10% of the diet as organ meat. You should add a new protein source every week til you don't have any more sources to add. You should have their stomach completely used to heart and liver by now, and start adding in other organs like tripe, kidneys, gizzards. Week 5 is a good time to start doing fish meals, as well.

Take it slow. Balance over time, not balance every day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
PLEASE dont crucify me for asking as I'm not all that up to speed with the raw method . Dont any of you ever have any concerns like Salmonella with raw chicken ? And other raw meats ?

Just curious thats all

Thanks for the input .

Miller has been throwing up Alot. I do not think he is digesting this raw food very well. I think I am going to put him back kibble.

I cannot have raw chicken being puked up on my floor that my children play on. Also his lips and around his eyes seem to be alot redder than normal. He rubs his face all over the carpet and sofa now as if his face is always itchy.Can a dog be allergic to chicken?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
PLEASE dont crucify me for asking as I'm not all that up to speed with the raw method . Dont any of you ever have any concerns like Salmonella with raw chicken ? And other raw meats ?
Concerned for my own health? Yes. I clean up very thoroughly when I'm done handling meat.

Concerned for the dogs? Not one bit. Their digestive systems were evolved to be scavengers. They can eat completely ROTTEN meat (I wouldn't suggest trying it :p) without having any problems. The small amount of bacteria on fresh raw chicken is minuscule. For them to get a bacterial load high enough to infect them, you would have to have done something seriously wrong.

Interestingly enough, the only cases of salmonella poisoning in dogs I've heard of were from kibble! (100% anecdotal, so don't go quoting me to your vet!)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
How about the peanut butter salmonella outbreak? I don't think any raw chicken was involved ;)

Do you cook for yourself?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the reply :)

Concerned for my own health? Yes. I clean up very thoroughly when I'm done handling meat.

Concerned for the dogs? Not one bit. Their digestive systems were evolved to be scavengers. They can eat completely ROTTEN meat (I wouldn't suggest trying it :p) without having any problems. The small amount of bacteria on fresh raw chicken is minuscule. For them to get a bacterial load high enough to infect them, you would have to have done something seriously wrong.

Interestingly enough, the only cases of salmonella poisoning in dogs I've heard of were from kibble! (100% anecdotal, so don't go quoting me to your vet!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jesirose

That is a big concern of mine right now actually. I have 3 kids at home and a dog throwing up raw chicken on my carpet. I am VERY careful about how and where I prepare his and our meals. Cutting boards and knives are sprayed with %10 bleach water and left to sit then put in the dishwasher. My counter is wiped down with the bleach solution too. However I cannot bleach my carpets. I used my steam cleaner with and enzyme remover. I still hate the fact I had raw chicken on the carpet.

trumpetjock

Week 1: Nothing but chicken rmb.
Week 2: Nothing but chicken rmb.
Week 3: Introduce 1 new protein source, ideally some other type of white meat/poultry. Add in a tiny portion of a single organ (most likely liver) on two days.
Week 4: Introduce a second new protein source. You can start moving towards red meat now. Add in a slightly larger portion of organ meat, and one new organ (heart is my choice).
Week 5 and beyond: At this point you should be good to go on feeding the normal 10% of the diet as organ meat. You should add a new protein source every week til you don't have any more sources to add. You should have their stomach completely used to heart and liver by now, and start adding in other organs like tripe, kidneys, gizzards. Week 5 is a good time to start doing fish meals, as well.

I did just that so far. I did add in organs as I really think he should have them with a raw meal. A month without seems a lil long. They should be 10 - 15% of the total meal per day. In a month thats alot to miss out on.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Dont any of you ever have any concerns like Salmonella with raw chicken ? And other raw meats ?
It has been stated without supporting evidence that dogs and cats have "stronger stomachs", that food borne pathogenic organisms are "normal inhabitants" of their gastrointestinal tract and therefore are not made sick by these organisms. Veterinary literature offers evidence to the contrary.

Dogs, cats and people have remarkably similar (I dind't say identical) gastro-intestinal morphology and physiology, and all 3 species get sick with very similar clinical signs as a result of a pathogenic infection of food borne organisms. A healthy dog harbors low levels of pathogenic salmonellae which indicate that most household dogs would not "naturally" be harboring these pathogenic subspecies. Dogs and cats infected with an effective dose of food-borne pathogens do have gastrointestinal signs similar to people. There are many different subspecies of bacteria with varying degrees of pathogenicity. The severity of clinical signs is related to the dose of microbes or toxin ingested, and the condition of the dog.

One options for pet owners making a raw meat homemade diet would be to feed whole (not ground) meat that has a braised surface and then fed to the pet rare. Most of the food poisoning organisms are on the surface of the meat and searing the surface would significantly reduce the potential bacterial dose while preserving any advantages to feeding raw meat in the interior of the slab.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
That is a big concern of mine right now actually. I have 3 kids at home and a dog throwing up raw chicken on my carpet. I am VERY careful about how and where I prepare his and our meals. Cutting boards and knives are sprayed with %10 bleach water and left to sit then put in the dishwasher. My counter is wiped down with the bleach solution too. However I cannot bleach my carpets. I used my steam cleaner with and enzyme remover. I still hate the fact I had raw chicken on the carpet.
That's pretty extreme, unless someone has a compromised immune system. Bacteria is not the evil killer most people think. A little bacteria is healthy and helps build immunity. That anti-bacterial stuff is what makes the super-cold and flu.

I use white vinegar and water to clean most surfaces in my home and have never had a problem with "germs". My carpet has seen cat and dog vomit, pee, poo...it's not the end of the world.

Raw meat is not that dangerous when handled properly. Don't leave it sit on the counter for 12 hours, and you'll be fine with soap and water.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts