Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No wonder why I feel so guilty every time I get back from the vets. Poor Nubs ended up getting 3 shots today. I HATE shots and the poor guy got 3 :( Rabies, DDLPP, and his Kennel Cough so he can take his CGC class. *sighs* talk about over vaccinated but geeze to do all 3 at once is $61 to do just do them one at a time over a few visits would have cost me DOUBLE... wow... But he weights 62lbs and is as the Vet Tech called him "a horse".

Now Nubs is a little scared of men. I've known this for a year and have been working on it for a while. He isn't as bad as he use to be, but still not up to where it should be. The Vet we saw today was a guy, so I kept it in mind as I was handling Nubs. I try not to allow the vets/vet techs to handle him since if for some unknown, never before seen reason Nubs snaps, I'm the one bit not the Vet. I'm overly cautious.

After all 3 shots the Vet left the room and I put Nubs seat belt back on him for the trip home. I was surprised to have the Vet return to the room. He Thanked me about how I handled Nubs. I guess Nubs was the 4th skiddish dog he had seen today and I was the only owner that was up front with him about it, and knew how to handle their dog. He was also impressed with how Nubs acted and how he reacted to my commands. I guess too many of the powerful breed owners around here aren't too good with their dogs (go figure). I was just shocked and happy to be called a "Good dog owner" and a "Great Pit Bull owner", not that I didn't already know I was, but it's always nice to hear it from people who you'd never expect to hear it from.

Thought I would just share it with everyone. Not every day the Pit Bull breed gets looked at in a nice way.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Kudos! Thank you for being a responsible dog owner. There are many folks out there who love the looks of powerful breeds and sometimes don't provide the guidance of a firm leader/parent. Skittish dogs are so hard to rehabilitate, such a delicate situation. Good work, it must've felt great to hear from a vet.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That was nice of the vet to make the effort to tell you that. I can't imagine not telling the vet/staff about having a skittish dog, though. What are people thinking? Why wouldn't you want everyone as prepared as possible to deal with your dog? Makes no sense to me.

We come armed with plenty of peanut butter, a kong and muzzle when we go to the vet and I tell everyone we encounter that she is skittish. They're used to her and know how to deal with her now. Poca calms right down for them. It's amazing. Probably doesn't hurt that the vet brings a big bowl of peanut butter into the exam room with her. :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I can't see why someone wouldn't tell the vet :eek: !

Lacey is skittish with men, and since I don't know what vet is giving her vaccinations (I just picked one out of the phonebook since it's so hard to get ahold of mine) I told them upfront that she's not a fan of men. She just shrinks to their touch. I would probably even suggest muzzling her because of the fear and she acts like she'd bite someone but so far has been "all talk". Then again, she's never cornered with a strange man either, so I don't know quite how she'd react.

Glad you did the right thing, and I'm very glad your vet appreciated it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts