Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting another potentially silly question...

Rollie is approx. 5 to 6 months old...the woman we adopted him from didn't have an exact birthdate. I know that dogs lose their baby teeth around this age (depending on the breed?), but I honestly haven't thought much about it.

Tonight the little mutt Rollie and I were playing a pretty gentle game of fetch/tug-of-war with one of his rope toys. He had a fairly loose grip on the toy when I went to pull it out of his mouth to throw it again, and when I grabbed the rope, a tooth flew across the floor. I of course freaked out, but Rollie's behavior hasn't been any different at all. There wasn't any blood except for a couple of spots on the tooth itself, which appears to be a back tooth. He isn't whining...he didn't whine when it happened...he had some water, and now he is dozing in his crate. Inside his mouth looks okay...there isn't any blood, and I'm not even sure I can pinpoint the spot where the tooth was lost.

Basically, I'm hoping for some reassurance. I will definitely be avoiding this kind of play for a while...a very long while. Do I need to be freaking out, or is it pretty safe to assume that this was a baby tooth? Rollie's lack of reaction to it makes me think it may have been ready to come out anyway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ya don't worry about it. It's completely normal. Most of them fall out on their own or the puppy just swallows them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we used to find Daisy's teeth littered around the house for a few months.
Its completely normal, sometimes they bleed too so I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
A few of Hamilton's toys looked like they had been massacred while he was teething. I didn't make any efforts to play any different with him while his baby teeth were falling out. I was glad to see them go!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have one of Bob's baby teeth. It's in my jewelry box!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I remember when Squash used to go to his puppy play group, the monitors would always say at the beginning "If you see blood on any puppies, don't panic! Someone is just teething!"

And I did pull one of his puppy teeth out the exact same way you did. (By accident, not on purpose.)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Troubles lost his first baby tooth while I was on the phone. He was in my lap and suddenly there was a teenyweeny tooth.
I said "FIRST BABY TOOTH EEEEE" He wasn't even doing anything. It just popped out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts