Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bottle feeding 2 kittens who are a week and a half old and they will not eat anymore. Yesterday, they ate a bit (I could get them to eat 5-10 cc at a time). Today, I am lucky if I can get 4 cc at a feeding (they get fed every 2 hours). Any hints? Thanks!!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I assume you have some experience with this and you know to rub their bellies, keep them warm enough, etc.........

If you absolutely can't get them eating again, ask a vet to show you how to use stomach tubes. This frequently becomes necessary with bottle babies.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I have handraised baby kittens and raccoons off of a formula that my old vet had given me years ago.. It is 1 can of evaporated milk. 2 tablespoons of karo syrup (clear, to aid digestion and bowels) and 2 egg yolks. It worked for every one that had trouble accepting canned formulas.. And making sure they go..Sometimes I would let the warm water run onto thier behinds to get it moving along..Karo helped so much with constipation..and the runs.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have done this before and know all that good stuff (stimulation, warmth, etc.) I may have to try that recipe, digits mama. I am having a bit of luck with a new nipple on the bottle (I have also used a syringe and medicine dropper). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Awwww...good luck with those kitties! Double check to make sure their heating pad is always warm (in their bed)...if they are cold at all, they will not feed.

Digit, I was going to suggest the same recipe...Lol!!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts