Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- Can anyone help me assess this situation? My sister has 2 adult dogs, a baby that's about 1 1/2 years old, and a baby that's about 2 months old.

For the past 2 weeks, whenever the babies cry, one of her dogs runs into the basement (breaking down the baby gate), pees on the floor, and hides under a table.

The dog has also started eating food off the counter and eating the other dog's food (both new behaviors).

The dog was recently treated for a UTI.
What I've suggested already:
- Check on the UTI
- Keep the dog in her crate, and when the babies cry, bring her treats (preferably long-lasting). This way, she doesn't have the opportunity to take off running and soil the basement, maybe will feel safer in her own crate, and will eventually associate the sound of babies crying with a tasty treat.
- Keep the counters clear of food, and instead, put things that smell of vinegar. She'll decide for herself that counter-surfing is no longer a rewarding activity.

Can anyone else see a problem/solution?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Has the dog ever been punished for something involving a crying baby? Like maybe she knocked the baby over, was punished while the baby was crying, etc.? It seems like a weird thing to suddenly happen if no harsh treatment was involved.

Your ideas sound good. I don't know if the vinegar odor will make any difference at all, but keeping the counters clear definitely will! If the increased appetite is a new thing, I think a vet checkup and bloodwork would be a good idea. Testing for thyroid function specifically.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dog has never been punished, but I think she's a rescue, and she's particularly reactive to loud noises/shouting.

I suggested vinegar because it's an adversive odor to most dogs. I have a 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water spray that I used when my dog was a puppy and wanted to chew on the couch and rug (spraying the furniture, not the dog!!), which worked quite well. I was thinking if she kept a rag soaked in a vinegar solution right on the counter top her dog wouldn't like it very much.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts