Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm from New Delhi, India.

Our 7 month old Spitz, Bonnie, passed away a week ago due to 'Tick Fever' caused by B.Gibsoni protozoan infection. The tick infestation was a surprise bomb because, we did not allow her to socialize with other dogs and we took extra measures to prevent tick infections. We used to take her out for walks but never near other street dogs. Despite precautions, she contracted ticks which led her to her nemesis. Surprisingly, its only Bonnie who has fallen to the infection, all other canines in the locality are doing well.

Since Bonnie was the first time canine pet with us, we could not understand and decipher her behavioral changes associated with the symptoms in time to help her in any way.

I've asked our friends and neighbors who have canine pets not to visit us, because we are afraid, their pets may get infected with the ticks/ tick residues, eggs or even live ones which may be hiding in wall crevasses.... would be grateful if a member could throw some light on this issue so that we get to know about this infection better... Even though my family wants me to bring home another pup, I'm not willing to do so till the house is suitably sanitized.... Would also like to know how long it takes for the ticks to move away from their hiding in the absence of a suitable host....?

Thanks for helping me know more...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Do you have exterminators there who can "fog" a house?

Can you use spot on treatments to prevent ticks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have exterminators there who can "fog" a house?

Can you use spot on treatments to prevent ticks?
Hi spotted nikes,

Thanks for writing...

1. I'm afraid we may not have exterminators who have expertise in fogging out this kind of ticks.... (I'm not sure... will have to look this up..)

We are rather a bit sensitive and concerned when it comes to cleanliness and hygiene in and round our house because I have an ailing mom and this is what makes me inclined to believe that our little pet contracted the parasites from out doors.
I'm not too sure if a home pest control agency would be equipped to do the job... I'll try and find out... Thanks for the advise.

2. Spot on treatment... yes this is what the vets suggested when we took her to the vet after she fell ill... but the advise came in too late for our little Bonnie.... I'll b more careful with our next pet...

3. Shall be grateful if some one could throw some light on the gestation period for such ticks... its transmission... reproduction ..... do they lay eggs.... I am told Ticks act as vectors for the propagation of the lethal B.Gibsoni protozoa which drastically brings down the platelet count in the canines blood often resulting in mortality of the victim. And, once infected, the infection is not entirely curable and the victim has to remain on medication for life and risks spreading of the infection to other pets who come in touch with it... Worse still... there are no vaccines against B. Gibsoni

4. New Delhi being rather hot during this time of the year, we would give Bonnie a bath every weekends complete with anti tick shampoo and plenty of fresh running water, yet she contracted the tick, and, the contraction went unnoticed.... this is what is baffling us. That she contracted ticks is confirmed from two situations.... 4.1 the high fever (103.5 deg F) and low platelet count in her blood (62)......

4.2 About half an hour after she had passed away, I found 3-4 ticks clinging to her fur like trying to abandon a sunk ship.

Never before she passed away did I ever notice a tick on her despite the fact that I would comb her fur every day and look for ticks if any. I plucked out those tiny round dot shaped ticks and wrapped them in a tissue soaked in aftershave and burned them to ashes.... Bizarre as it may sound, but, I hope I've done the right thing. But now I'm just too scared to bring home a new pup a friend wants to gift us fearing that the ticks are still around nooks and crevasses in the house....

Thanks again...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Ticks usually live in wooded areas and tall grass. They may hide in the house occasionally but it's not really their natural habitat. If you have any areas of tall grass in your yard, keep it cut back and the ticks should go find a more agreeable place to live.

I don't know if this is a common disease in your area or if this was a rare occurrence. Sometimes things happen, and there's not a lot we can do about it. If it is common, though, you may want to look into an Amitraz collar (one brand name is Preventic). I don't know if you would be able to find them locally, but I'm sure you could find a supplier online. They're more effective against ticks than spot-ons are (but you should still use a spot-on for fleas).

Sorrry for your loss :(.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ticks usually live in wooded areas and tall grass. They may hide in the house occasionally but it's not really their natural habitat. If you have any areas of tall grass in your yard, keep it cut back and the ticks should go find a more agreeable place to live.

I don't know if this is a common disease in your area or if this was a rare occurrence. Sometimes things happen, and there's not a lot we can do about it. If it is common, though, you may want to look into an Amitraz collar (one brand name is Preventic). I don't know if you would be able to find them locally, but I'm sure you could find a supplier online. They're more effective against ticks than spot-ons are (but you should still use a spot-on for fleas).

Sorrry for your loss :(.
Hi Willowy,

At the outset, thanks a lot for the kind words of consolation.

I guess you have provided me with a hint about from where Bonnie may have contracted the ticks. Since we live on the top floor of a flatted building, the only luxury of open space that we enjoy is on the terrace and we don't have any grass there.... A few days before Bonnie fell ill, I had been taking her to a nearby green patch since the place was less frequented by walkers and also since Bonnie liked to sprint about on the grass and between the hedges.... so probably it from here the ticks got her... And, now it makes me more miserable since I am the one to be blamed for taking her there.

Since there are no reports of similar incidents from our area, I guess our misfortune is a rare occurrence....
I'll surely keep the valuable advise on Amitraz Collar and the Spot-ons in mind when I bring home another good canine friend....

Thanks once again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm from New Delhi, India.

Our 7 month old Spitz, Bonnie, passed away a week ago due to 'Tick Fever' caused by B.Gibsoni protozoan infection. The tick infestation was a surprise bomb because, we did not allow her to socialize with other dogs and we took extra measures to prevent tick infections. We used to take her out for walks but never near other street dogs. Despite precautions, she contracted ticks which led her to her nemesis. Surprisingly, its only Bonnie who has fallen to the infection, all other canines in the locality are doing well.

Since Bonnie was the first time canine pet with us, we could not understand and decipher her behavioral changes associated with the symptoms in time to help her in any way.

I've asked our friends and neighbors who have canine pets not to visit us, because we are afraid, their pets may get infected with the ticks/ tick residues, eggs or even live ones which may be hiding in wall crevasses.... would be grateful if a member could throw some light on this issue so that we get to know about this infection better... Even though my family wants me to bring home another pup, I'm not willing to do so till the house is suitably sanitized.... Would also like to know how long it takes for the ticks to move away from their hiding in the absence of a suitable host....?

Thanks for helping me know more...
Hi Sunaabh
I can empathise with you 100%.They come into our lives as pets, but leave a huge emptiness behind them when they go!
This morning I have had a similar news about my terrier, Ada.
Please do share the reactions of your Bonnie after the B.Gibsoni infection. It will be of great help as I observe my Ada.
Even though the doctor is hopeful of curing her... it doesn't hurt to be vigilant.
Nishu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts