Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH! I hate this neighborhood more every day. Nobody can seem to even keep their dogs IN THEIR OWN HOUSE!

We went out for our nightly walk, just at sunset. It was me with Shippo (left Eevee at home tonight because there were some fireworks going off) and Stephen (boyfriend) and Axle (his American Bulldog for those who didn't see him). We had gotten maybe 200 feet up the street, when somebody's front door busted open, and two very aggressive 50-60 lb dogs came charging at us, RIGHT into Axle and started attacking him. Shippo tried to run to his defense, but I picked him up to keep him out of the fight, and proceeded to kick the crap out of one of the dogs attached to Axle, while his owner came running outside screaming.

Both dogs kept latching onto him, and then letting go and circling around and getting him again, tag-teaming him, while both Stephen and I continually kicked them off, and their owner just kept running in circles screaming. Axle was defending himself, and rightly so, but he was still on the leash because we didn't want HIM doing serious damage to them (everyone thinks he's a "pit bull" so they'd probably blame him if there was damage).

The owner FINALLY started thinking, and grabbed one of her dogs by it's scruff and lifted it straight off him and dragged him into the house. At this point, Axle slipped his collar and chased after the other one, which ran back into its own house, and the door was closed behind it. Axle then ran back to us, tail wagging, and sat square in front of Stephen, who was able to get his collar back on (and readjusted!).

The lady ran back out and was like "OMG I'm SO SORRY! Sorry sorry sorry blah blah blah crying..." I kinda half-tuned it out while I was busy checking Axle for bite wounds (NONE, amazingly). I then stood up and told the lady, "Your dogs are REALLY smart. They can open your front door. I've seen them do it before, but you had your front yard fenced before so I wasn't worried about it. Now there's no fence, so I AM worried. You should lock your door." She said, "Yeah it seems that way. I'm really sorry!" I put Shippo down and he even ran and cuddled the owner, who was crying. The ENTIRE STREET was watching.

We continued on our walk like normal since Axle wasn't hurt, because I didn't want it to end that way. He's exhausted and so am I. I'm giving those people the benefit of the doubt this time, but if it happens again, I'm calling animal control. <.<

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
awww poor Axle, at least he's okay!!

I agree if it happens again a call to animal control would be needed...

It always amazes me how many dogs there are in this world that can open doors!(okay I know there are some that really can...lol)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Poor Axle!

I really hope that at least the owner learned from this and will lock the door! Why would they get rid of their fence if their dogs were like that?? People amaze me.

It's the scariest thing. Even though Bridgette was attacked a while ago I get really nervous when I see a dog off leash. I always go into action mode and think "okay I'll just pick her up and run" lol.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Wow!!! I'd still have him checked by a vet in the morning though JUST to be sure he isn't hurt, he could have a torn muscle or some serious bruising that just hasn't shown up yet. AB are tough suckers but he could be hiding a wound. I would also report this to AC now, before another smaller dog gets hurt. There needs to be documentation that these dogs are a threat.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I've never actually had to complain to animal control before... and now it's nearly 11 PM... I can file a complaint online, if it's not too late... I dunno if there are time limits for this or not... *reading*

·
Registered
966 Posts
I agree that you should report this. If someone else's dog or a child is attacked it will help if there is prior documentation of a problem.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Document everything. NOW.

Write your recollection of the incident, immediately. A hand-written account is better than a typed report, because you can prove it was written in a single sitting at a given time, and not edited after the fact.

You've probably already forgotten some of the details, but be as specific as you can be with what you remember (What was your exact location when the dogs attacked? Which direction were you facing? Where were your dogs positioned? Which dog came first? What were you and your dogs doing at the moment of the attack? Where was your attention focused? How much time elapsed between the initial attack and the owner's response? What did the owner do with each dog? How effective was she? What was her emotional state? How long did it take to pull the dogs off? Where was each dog biting?).

Be as detailed as humanly possible, but don't cite any detail you're unsure of; if there's an inconsistency, it goes against your credibility. For example, if you said it happened at 7:20 PM, but somebody reports it began in the middle of Wheel of Fortune, which starts at 7:30, it reduces the credibility of your entire account; but if you said between 7-8, then the WoF fan increases the credibility of your account.

Take photos of the location of the incident, from as many angles as possible. Get closeups of any evidence of the attack.

You may even consider having a witness sign off on the time and date you completed your report. The sooner after the attack it's dated, the more reliable it is considered.

Take pictures. If you have any scratches/bruises from fending off the dogs, take pictures now while you can. Take Axle to the vet and get a full, detailed writeup of the damage, and - again - take tons of photos. Put a ruler in each photo to ensure scale is visible. Every scratch and bruise should be photographed at least twice, from different angles, to get the clearest image.

Chances are, you won't need all of this documentation, but it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>o_O< If I report it, I'm doing it anonymously. This is a bad neighborhood, and people "get back at" each other all the time... violently. The way to report it in this city is an online form. No handwriting. All I need to do is copy/paste my account from right here and add important things in like date and time.

Axle has no damage. Nor do I. And I also think I mentioned that he's my boyfriend's dog, not mine. I looked him over several times and I'm keeping an eye on him, but I'm unemployed right now and it's not my responsibility to take him to the vet. If Shippo had been attacked during the incident, sure, I'd have to borrow some money to vet him. Shippo is my dog. If I took responsibility for EVERY dog in this house, I'd be vetting 7 different dogs, with 3 different owners. Sorry but... no.

I'll be strolling by to get the house number today...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow I hate it when ppl cant keep control of there dogs, i had a similar incident about a month a go i was walking my puppy Toby, and a dog runs jumps the 4 ft fence, and starts after Toby, i picked up Toby and started booting the other dog it was about 34 40 lbs but kept trying to jump up and bite at my dog.

Then the owner comes out calls the dog back after a few mins turns around and doesn't say a word and goes in his house

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I decided to say to heck with it and made an anonymous report. All done. Not even sure what good it's going to do. This neighborhood sucks. >-.-<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts