Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to get this out somewhere. This just happened a few hours ago.

This guy came to the dog park with Floyd. I'd been there a while and so had another dog park regular with his two dogs. A couple arrived with a pitbull mix. I'd never seen her before. She seemed sweet and all our dogs were playing well together. Another man arrived with a couple dogs and a chuck-it. He walked the other way and started playing fetch with his dogs.

Then, I was walking to the garbage to dump Floyd's poop. Of course Floyd came with me. He's come a long way but he still needs to be close to me. This took me closer to the guy, chuck-it and his dogs. Floyd is still afraid of men (getting better) and can still show fear and bad behavior around chuck-its. He was clearly beat with something similar in his past, so I was keeping an eye out. A jogger was also approaching and Floyd still chases joggers <sigh>. Then I heard some noise by chuck-it man. I looked over and all I saw was dogs mingling together. The pitbull, sage, had run over there. It didn't look like a fight, maybe some posturing? Instantly, the man started beating the pitbull with his chuck-it. Hitting full force and screaming. It was awful.

Floyd was freaked. I was freaked. Floyd ran towards thee scuffle, barking, hackles up. I was scared to death he'd wade in there and I didn't trust him not to nip. The poor pitbull is still getting hit by the guy. Floyd's recall is usually awesome and I'm yelling for him and he's panicked. He's running and hackled and has that looking in his eye, like when I first dog I brought home.

The pitbull has run back to his people. the guy yells out "god damn pitbull" and then he is yelling at the poor couple who brought her. Floyd has come near me but didn't let me grab him and now runs in that general direction again. The jogger is now right
there too and I yell more forcefully than I ever have. hecomes away but won't come to me, but's he's scared of me now. he's just like the dog I brought home now, all fear. He doesn't know where safe is. I crouch down and start coaxing him near. I'm shaking which probably didn't help. I finally get him

The awful man is yelling at the couple and says if he ever sees that pitbull at the dog park again he will call the cops. He's going on about how the "damn pitbull" attacked his dog. I wanted to say "If I ever see you hitting a dog again I'm calling the cops". I keep quiet though and so does everyone else. Icrouch down and start patting and talking nice to the pitbull. She is such a sweetie. None of the rest of us saw the exact start. I saw most of it though. Maybe she did start something, but it wasn't an attack though. Not even close. The awful man's dog wasn't hurt. Never yelped or anything.

The man who owns sage says sadly, I guess we can't come back here again. Both me and the other regular dog park person say "no". I'd welcome them back but I don't ever want to see that other man again. I told him I go to dog parks a lot and for many years and I've never seen anything like that.

Poor Floyd is still acting like the dog I originally brought home. Afraid of everyone and pacing. Some new people arrive. People he knows but he just barks and hides and hackles and paces. (I have him on the leash of courses) He's especially afraid of the man with his pitbull. He lunges at the guy as he tries to leave. I really want to stay until he calms. I want him to remember the dog park is safe. I can't risk him nipping anyone though and I'm really not sure he's going to be able to settle. Fortunately the people arrive all know Floyd and his issues. I've always felt very lucky to have such a great dog. Floyd has become a community effort. The people who arrived helped. It took a long time. I wasn't sure he was going to pull out of it and it was killing me to see him acting like he did 4 months ago but by the end he was playing and ok with people again. By then both floyd and I had the good dog experiences to help wash out the bad.

I still have the image of that poor pitbull getting beaten though. What is wrong with people?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow :( That sucks. I hope that guy doesn't go back to the park :( Whether the pitbull started something or not, the guy clearly has pitbull prejudice, or he wouldn't have continuously referenced the dog's breed when berating the owners. That makes a peaceful resolution pretty improbable :(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'd have knocked the guys teeth out if he had done that to my dogs. I'm extremely non-confrontational up until my dogs are involved.

·
Registered
307 Posts
what a dumb ass. You start whacking my dog with something, you're going to have that very thing stuffed where the sun doesn't shine. It didn't even sound like an attack or fight, just dogs grumbling about space. If that guy has such a problem with Pit bulls, he needs to keep his dogs out of dog parks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
While the pitbull hater was DEFINITELY in the wrong, I do feel compelled to mention that I think your dog may not be quite ready for that kind of environment yet. As the owner of a dog that formerly had issues, it took MONTHS for me to feel comfortable taking him out in public leashed and I would not allow him off leash, fenced or not until I was positive that he would react appropriately (without teeth and/or turning into a nervous mess) should some typical human or dog insanity go on in the park.

It takes one incident and less than a minute to undo months of hard work in getting a nervous and fearful dog to trust you and to relax and recover from scary incidents. Also, once a dog has an incident and the stress hormones take over, it's not doing much good for the dog to remain in that environment. His threshold for another incident is much lower and he probably won't retain any of the benefits of the positive interactions that occur after.

Bottom line is, be careful and patient when it comes to introducing a dog with issues to that environment. It sounds like it was chaotic and stressful for even a dog (or human!) without issues, I can't even imagine how a fearful dog would feel. It would suck for someone to get bitten or nipped and Floyd to be marked aggressive because of a situation that he wasn't ready for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it was awful. And I was amazed the dog owners were so calm. I had my hands full with Floyd but I'm not sure what I would have done. He was so quick to start hitting it makes you wonder how he does treat his dogs.

Now that I've calmed down, one of the things that occurs to me is the only one making noise was the man. It was so not a fight.

And I've had to break up fights. Come on, if you let dogs mingle it's going to happen at some point. I had a dog really come after Floyd a month ago. That was a real fight because once the dog had him down, Floyd went into fight mode. And yes, I was doing what I could to protect Floyd when he was down but I also wasn't beating away on the dog that started the fight.

I've still got this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
The fact that the pit did not retaliate against the idiot beating on him should tell you something about those dogs. They were bred to tolerate a level of abuse and mistreatment that would send many dogs into a rage. And if the pit actually HAD attacked the idiots dog, I think the carnage would have been obvious.

The Chuckit is a wonderful device but, in this case, it needed to be shoved up the users ####.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lindbert- We were posting at the same time.

I appreciate what you say. He's come so so far from where he was. He does well at the dog park. He is great with other dogs. That's where he shines. The rescue group hoped to adopt him out to a someone who had a confident, older dog. Since I didn't have that, I started taking him to the dog park in small controlled circumstances. I also had talked this over with the rescue group. His confidence grew as did his acceptance of people. It's been a good thing for him. A different dog and I would take a different approach.

It's true stress hormones kick in, but if you leave a scary situation you can also be conditioning the dog to think of it as a scary situation that needs escape. So, I put him on the leash and I did trick training with him. That calms him down. Then, when he calmed and it was people and dogs i know well and he wanted to play, I let him play. When someone walked in the park we didn't know, we left.

I do appreciate your feedback though. He is much less fearful off the leash then on. The walking him around my neighborhood on the leash is going much more slowly.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The only scenario that would make me strike another dog like that is if me or my dog were in immediate danger.
If I was completely alone and there was honestly no other choice, then yes, but it would NEVER be a first option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I witnessed a couple similar dog park incidents where the owners causing the stress...not the dogs! Some dogs and people get rather territorial in the dog park! I finally got fed up and me and a couple of other good dog people started hiking together in various public lands instead of meeting at the dog park. It was the best decision i ever made. Moving along trail and hiking with dogs is much better than standing around the dog park and waiting for the next human caused "incident"!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those of ya'll that are saying you would never strike a dog must not have ever been in a situation where it was necessary. Now from what I read in the original post, hitting that dog wasn't necessary.

With that said I have no problem using whatever force is necessary to protect my dogs, myself, and my family against an attacking dog.

I was riding with my dog through my neighborhood past a house we had ridden past 100 times. There are always dogs in the backyard. Well this time we weren't, when we passed the front one of the dogs came charging off the porch. I was riding my bike with my dog on a leash, the attacking dog got mine on the rear once and was coming back for another bite when I got off and kicked it hard square in the side. Hard enough to send the dog reeling and rolling away from me. At that point the dog was yelping and running back to his owner who came out apologizing. I would have done it just as hard if I were given the opportunity any other day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I was completely alone and there was honestly no other choice, then yes, but it would NEVER be a first option.
Absolutely. That guy has no business being around dogs. I do not tolerate idiocy like that... I am sorry you had to go through that OP. :( Nothing frustrates me more than somebody huffing and puffing and acting like they know everything when they are clearly just ignorant. GRRR!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Those of ya'll that are saying you would never strike a dog must not have ever been in a situation where it was necessary. Now from what I read in the original post, hitting that dog wasn't necessary.

With that said I have no problem using whatever force is necessary to protect my dogs, myself, and my family against an attacking dog.

This, I WILL defend myself, pets and family up to and including lethal force if needed. That includes against a**holes who hit my dog for no reason! The guy would have been walking REALLY funny once I shoved the Chuck It up his exit chute. However if another dog did actually attack mine, I'd do whatever it took to get the dog off!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
This, I WILL defend myself, pets and family up to and including lethal force if needed. That includes against a**holes who hit my dog for no reason! The guy would have been walking REALLY funny once I shoved the Chuck It up his exit chute. However if another dog did actually attack mine, I'd do whatever it took to get the dog off!
Yes indeed, a hurter I will become before I allow family and personal dogs to become hurtees.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Somebody should have called the police. I hope the pit's owners got the guys info. I'd have been pressing charges.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts