Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you used automatic feeders to feed your dog(s) while out of town? We have 3 dogs and are trying to work out a way to feed them while we are gone. (My dad or my in-laws usually feed them for us while we are gone, but they will be with us on this trip.) If we can get one person to come over in the evening or morning, then I thought we could use an automatic feeder for the other meal. We would need two feeders, one for our 2 smaller dogs who eat on the enclosed deck, and one for our larger dog who eats on the other side of the deck enclosure in the yard. If we get one that does not have a timed dispenser (i.e., a continuous feed) I'm afraid the lab would just gorge herself to the point of being sick. She's a large lab who doesn't know when to stop eating! =)

Also, if you have used an auto feeder, any recommendations as to which one??

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Have any of you used automatic feeders to feed your dog(s) while out of town? We have 3 dogs and are trying to work out a way to feed them while we are gone. (My dad or my in-laws usually feed them for us while we are gone, but they will be with us on this trip.) If we can get one person to come over in the evening or morning, then I thought we could use an automatic feeder for the other meal. We would need two feeders, one for our 2 smaller dogs who eat on the enclosed deck, and one for our larger dog who eats on the other side of the deck enclosure in the yard. If we get one that does not have a timed dispenser (i.e., a continuous feed) I'm afraid the lab would just gorge herself to the point of being sick. She's a large lab who doesn't know when to stop eating! =)

Also, if you have used an auto feeder, any recommendations as to which one??

How long are you going to be gone? You really, really need someone to let your dogs out to potty at least twice a day, and to ensure they have fresh water. With an automatic feeder, you are not going to know which dog ate what, or how much, even if you get the kind on a timer. Water bowls can tip over, unless you have the kind that are made so they don't, however, their water needs to be replenished daily. Please don't leave these dogs home alone. There's too much that can go wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, they are outside dogs in a fenced back yard. We're working on having someone come by in the morning and in the evening to feed/water them. So maybe I won't need an automatic feeder. That is a last resort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I wouldn't recommend using an automatic feeder is you suspect that your lab will gorge herself. She may end up getting sick while you are gone, and that's the last thing anyone wants to have happen. I would recommended getting someone to come over and feed the dogs. If someone can come over at least twice a day to feed them and make sure they have clean water, then you shouldn't have to use the automatic feeders. And that would probably be the best course of action.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked to one of my closest friends and he is more than happy to come over to check on them. So I'll have someone come in the AM and someone to come in the PM. AND he'll give Harley his meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a PetMate Le bistro one, not the "new" model, but this one: http://www.smarthome.com/61860/LeBistro-Portion-Control-Feeder-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/p.aspx

I have a great dane and feed CHicken Soup Large Breed. I wouldn't think the kibble is too big, but the thing gets jammed all the time and I'm looking around for a new/different/more reliable one.

If anyone has any they can recommend for me to look at, plase reply! I really need one for vacations! (The kind that you can program feeding times, not the kind that have a constant supply of food to eat!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
well i also have the bistro for water and food, as long as they are full they do not tip, and i love them, i use them everyday, in our home we free feed, so, i love to be able to put in the 8-10lbs of food and watch the levels, about 1 or 2 times a week we change the water on the water part.

good luck with ever you choose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gosh, I WISH I could free feed my dog, but she would prob. eat herself to death! She's a piggy!lol

But I do use the autwaterer thing that hooks up to the water hose and keeps the bowl full of water!

·
Registered
63 Posts
gosh, I WISH I could free feed my dog, but she would prob. eat herself to death! She's a piggy!lol

But I do use the autwaterer thing that hooks up to the water hose and keeps the bowl full of water!
:p oh dont get me wrong, i am sure they would eat themselves to death, but, since we have done this since we got them, i think they just know when to stop eating.. :rolleyes: and if they do over eat, they give us the roll over on the back and groan look ( kinda like when you eat thanksgiving dinner:D), and moan for about 10 minutes or so..

where did you get the autowater thingy you can hookup to a hose?? i have never heard of that one?? my mom would love that for her outdoor dogs, as she is disabled and can not always get out to water her dogs:p

·
Registered
63 Posts
wow that is way cool i love it. i am so telling my mom so she can get one for her 3 outdoor dogs. thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just watched a garden show and I couldn't believe how neat this was she put a dog drink attachment (instead of a garden hose). It was kinda like a water bottle that a rabbit drinks from, the dog licks from it and water comes out as they lick, such a great idea for a bigger dog who is outside alot! I'm not sure where to buy it but I imagine a large garden center or perhaps large pet store?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Feed stores and Pet Stores usually have the water bowls that hook up to a hose. I have a couple of them for the dogs in the summer time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one that could hold that amount of food and incorporates the automatic dispensing. Normally they just do a few meals, to be used when you're away for a weekend or get home late from work, etc.
The thread is 10 years old, I think the posters are long gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts