Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are quite a few Aussie owners peeking around here, so I thought I would see what answers I can get.

At what age do Aussies generally get their adult coat? I'm a first time Aussie parent and I've just been curious how long this fluffy stuff is going to stick around :).

And is there any way to tell how a puppy's ears will be set? Ruby's ears tend to hang at the sides, but every once in a while they stick up. Is it likely they'll stay down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not sure about the coat, I didn't actually notice the difference in Kodi's coat until I saw younger pictures of him.
Enjoy the fluffy stuff while you can :D When they go through their uglies, they can sometimes look like hairless rats compared to the lush adult coats. I cant believe how short Kodi's hair got before his adult coat started coming in. Now it 3 and 4 inch long hair everywhere! (On the furniture, on my clothes, in my food...) and he is only 10 months! I don't want to know how hairy he will get as he ages!
About the ears... Yeah, they do all sorts of funny things. I wouldn't take much too seriously this young with the ears, Kodi had days when I was so worried his ears wouldn't go down, and he still has ear up days and I say to him "Kodi, put your ears down" haha, I think he knows that up ears scare me because I think they will stay up. I suppose you could do a bit of cosmetic work with them if you really worried about it and planned on showing him, but I would wait, it doesn't sound like a problem if they are only up every once in a while.
You could look at his parents too, ear sets are often genetic, or so I've been told.
How old is your puppy now? That would help with knowing how his ears will lay.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just about 5 months old and I still haven't seen my little boy's ears. The hair on his head is so soft and fluffy it stands taller than his ears which are usually droopy or back with his "I'm so content right now" face. He's so damned cute. He has a couple tufts of longer (guard hair?) on his back but both my pups from the same litter have gotten slightly wavy coats on their backs already.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It hasn't been till the last couple months that Shiner's coat has started to really fill out into an adult coat. She is about 13 months old now. The ears most likely will stay down, that doesn't mean they are the ideal set though.

Shiner's ears are most definitely not the ideal set, and we had/have more problems with her ears flopping back.

Her ears flopping back:

How her ears usually sit, and what she looked like when her coat started coming in:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Scarlett's ears went up and stayed up at about 6 months...before that they were tipped. My two medium coated dogs (aussie and border collie) had adult looking coats at 9 months, while my shelties continued to fill out past a year old.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It hasn't been till the last couple months that Shiner's coat has started to really fill out into an adult coat. She is about 13 months old now. The ears most likely will stay down, that doesn't mean they are the ideal set though.

Shiner's ears are most definitely not the ideal set, and we had/have more problems with her ears flopping back.

How her ears usually sit, and what she looked like when her coat started coming in:
Her ears look just fine to me they are very much correct and as long as they are ether Rose or Button there is no preferred type per the standard

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Her ears look just fine to me they are very much correct and as long as they are ether Rose or Button there is no preferred type per the standard
But you know that in the show ring, it does get considered. Hawkeye has nice ears. What I really hate is the ears that people tape/glue so low that they dont' have any break. I never tape/glue my dogs' ears. Had one friend whose show prospect rough collie came to her with ears glued by breeder. One ear was glued a bit too tight and cut off circulation. He lost the tip of that ear. I want to actually know what sort of ears the dog actually has. In some breeds ears have been "fixed" for so many generations that you have no idea what they would be like if they weren't.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yep and I HATE how Hawk's ears look at 8 months, I am so glad I didn't ruin them from the tapping cause when he looked like that I nearly cried. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the look of his ears now since they break over far from the head but since they are correct I couldn't really care. Ears with no lift and break are a huge nit pick of mine also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help! Ruby is about 13 weeks right now. We're not planning on showing her, but since we're talking about breed standard...she does not meet standard because she is not solid around both eyes, right? She has really light merle around the eyes, but no solid liver.

Also, is there a way to tell based on how big she is now what she might grow to? We just took her to the vet and she was 19 pounds. Her mother was a small Aussie, so we're kind of hoping she'll follow suit.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It looks to me like she has pigmented coat around both eyes, merled coat around the eyes is just as acceptable as solid colored coat around both eyes, it just can't be white. Size can be a funny thing Hawkeye's mother is 19.5 inches tall and Hawkeye's father is 21.5 inches tall, the litter all grew to be between 17 and 21 inches, non of the girls are as big as their mother and non of the boys grew quite as tall as their father. And size isn't terribly important in aussies and any breeder stressing a specific size requirement is not a breeder I care for. They should be big enough to work cattle and small enough to be agile, a good aussie should have versatility skills of stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is hard to tell, but I agree doesn't look like a problem. Also if you aren't planning on showing, and she isn't have any vision issues I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thanks for the help! Ruby is about 13 weeks right now. We're not planning on showing her, but since we're talking about breed standard...she does not meet standard because she is not solid around both eyes, right? She has really light merle around the eyes, but no solid liver.

Also, is there a way to tell based on how big she is now what she might grow to? We just took her to the vet and she was 19 pounds. Her mother was a small Aussie, so we're kind of hoping she'll follow suit.
I think 19 lbs. is quite a bit more than Alice weighed at that age. She's bottom of the standard size wise. I'd guess she's going to be a bigger girl. By the way, her markings are within standard. Eyes and ears need to be surrounded by a color other than white. On a merle it can be either the dilute or the non-dilute spots. As long as it is not white. Also, white recedes with age, so I'd expect her blaze may fill in a bit around the edges and as an adult she won't be pushing the envelope on white.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Love those Aussies..

beautiful pup you have.

I'm curious too as to what weight our little lady may get up to. She's currently 11 weeks old now and only tipping the scale at 5.0LBS.

Her mother was 25lbs, father I'm not sure an exact weight.. assuming around 19 or so.

(legs are shaved since she spent 11 days in Parvo Treatment)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Adult coats take years to mature and several shedding cycles. As for ears, ears change as puppies teethe.
If this is just a pet there is no need to take any measures to set them. I would suggest a little Ester C daily
during teething to help keep them set naturally.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah, the new name, per akc, for our dogs is Miniature American Shephers, those really into their Aussies do not like us referring to our dogs as an Aussie of any kind. No matter what akc wants to call them they are still an Aussie, just smaller. When people ask I do tell them their new name but explain they are otherwise known as a mini Aussie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry, they are not small versions of Aussies. 1. A size variety has to be accepted by the parent group. USASA and ASCA never sanctioned this. 2. They very never truthful about their stud book. Other breeds were introduced and swept under the rug.

It would be like you going to bed and waking up the next morning to a knock at the door. A stranger is standing there and says, "While
you were sleeping I built an addition to your house. I'm going to live there and get my mail in your name. OK? You should be happy
about this. Thanks."

Besides this thread is about fur no more no less.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeah, the new name, per akc, for our dogs is Miniature American Shephers, those really into their Aussies do not like us referring to our dogs as an Aussie of any kind. No matter what akc wants to call them they are still an Aussie, just smaller. When people ask I do tell them their new name but explain they are otherwise known as a mini Aussie.
They come from completely different foundation stock from Aussies. Except of course, for the Aussies who were bred in to make them look more like Aussis. The originals were very small, and very un-Aussie looking. If you think they are "bred down" Aussies, you're not very familiar with the history of your breed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
http://mascaonline.com/breed-info/history/

During the 1960’s, a Californian Australian Shepherd enthusiast acquired several small working Aussies from the rodeo circuit. Intrigued by their compact size, she worked with a veterinarian to develop a breeding program in order to preserve the trait, which quickly resulted in litters producing both dogs only 13 to 14 inches tall as well as larger Australian Shepherds. The smaller dogs eventually became known as “miniature” Australian Shepherds.

http://www.australian-shepherd-lovers.com/history-aussie-shepherd.html

Where do Mini Aussies fit in? Smaller spaces of course! (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.) The history and origin of the Mini Aussie is closely tied to the Australian Shepherd. Miniature Australian Shepherds were bred from Australian Shepherds and they have a shared history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Australian_Shepherd

The Miniature Australian Shepherd (MAS) was developed by breeding smaller Australian Shepherds for the desired size. Miniature Australian Shepherds are rapidly increasing in popularity among those interested in a compact dog with a strong work ethic. They are especially popular in dog agility, and do well in other dog sports including herding, obedience, disc dog, and many other activities

1 - 20 of 51 Posts