Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've been following this on Facebook. It's sadly not an isolated incident, but it hits kind of close to home because it was an ACD that was killed in this case for doing something that any dog of that breed would do; bark at a stranger (nevermind that stranger was screaming and pointing a gun at his owner).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
They don't give cops nearly enough training on how to deal with dogs in non-lethal ways. Dang, I'd be MAD if a cop just walked up and shot my dog like that, I can imagine what that poor guy is going through. I doubt he'd get too far with a lawsuit but I hope he raises enough of a stink to make something happen.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would want a hell of a lot more than an apology if some cop shot my dog because they went to the WRONG house! I feel bad for the owner and that poor dog. He died doing what many dogs and most ACDs would do.

Tsk tsk.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I've been following this on Facebook. It's sadly not an isolated incident, but it hits kind of close to home because it was an ACD that was killed in this case for doing something that any dog of that breed would do; bark at a stranger (nevermind that stranger was screaming and pointing a gun at his owner).
As someone who has lost their dog to suspected human hands (we don't know for sure but it's suspected that someone did it to her, so says the vet) this story was especially disturbing for me BC of that & I wouldn't have even remembered the cop was there if my dog had been shot, gun or not I'd be running to my dying friend :(.

Is there anything he can sue for like emotional damages or whatever they call it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much that can be done. Its an outrageous story. I feel horrible for the man involved and I can relate to the frustration that people are expressing.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
On the flip side of the coin, if he had shut his gate when went up front the dog wouldn't have been loose and gotten shot. Best to never leave your gate open, or door open where your dog can get out if something distracts me etc.

I would also be angry about the cop pulling a gun on me and going off half cocked on an innocent person, especially when apparently there was no report of an armed person or anything more than a domestic violence call which is pretty routine. Cops seem to go overboard as routine these days.

·
Banned
199 Posts
On the flip side of the coin, if he had shut his gate when went up front the dog wouldn't have been loose and gotten shot. Best to never leave your gate open, or door open where your dog can get out if something distracts me etc.

I would also be angry about the cop pulling a gun on me and going off half cocked on an innocent person, especially when apparently there was no report of an armed person or anything more than a domestic violence call which is pretty routine. Cops seem to go overboard as routine these days.
I was under the impression that the guy couldn't shut the gate because as soon as he got up there the officer was screaming at him to keep his hands in the air and not move.

I am SO ANGRY about this story. I also am angry that this wackjob officer thinks this is an appropriate manner to approach a guy in his own yard minding his own business. The audio came on the news last night and it was just awful. The officer went from screaming at the guy to shooting the dog to screaming about how none of this is his responsibility. He's obviously unstable and needs to be fired immediately. Sickening.

Here is the Facebook for Cisco: https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForCisco

·
Registered
110 Posts

I believe domestic violence calls are considered to be the most dangerous, or at least one of the most dangerous calls for an officer to respond to. Might be fairly common, but that doesn't make them routine. Don't get me wrong, I sure wouldn't be too happy if this happened to me (even without having my dog shot), but I can see why the officer had his gun drawn.

I do agree that it is unfortunate that officers are not given more training on how to deal with dogs, and I think this is a very sad situation. Situations like this cause concern for me specifically because we have a dog trained to respond to threats - somebody pointing a gun at me or my wife and screaming would be considered a threat by my dog. Best to have a rock solid 'down' command, which is about all a person could do in this situation. I feel for the guy, I cannot even imagine how hard that would be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am SO ANGRY about this story. I also am angry that this wackjob officer thinks this is an appropriate manner to approach a guy in his own yard minding his own business. The audio came on the news last night and it was just awful. The officer went from screaming at the guy to shooting the dog to screaming about how none of this is his responsibility. He's obviously unstable and needs to be fired immediately. Sickening.

Here is the Facebook for Cisco: https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForCisco
what he said.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm confused - the cop said he asked the owner to control his dog, yet the owner claims the cop had a loaded weapon pointed at him, and he was afraid for his life.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Truth is a funny thing. Our personal perspectives and experiences color everything we see and experience. The greater the stress, the greater the distortions. What we meant to say, we said. What we meant to do, we did. Emotion colors memory too.

I am confident that both humans are trying to remember this terrifying event as accurately as possible, but the tragic outcome and fear and grief makes objectivity nearly impossible.

What a sad, sad situation. I would be out of my mind with grief if something like that happened to my dog.

Flip side: I have been in bad and scary situations where I reacted very strongly before I ever engaged my rational thought processes. Fear is a blindfold.

No one won here. It's terrible.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
There is audio out of the situation from the cops dash cam - while there is not video because of where the car was parked - you can supposedly hear the officer and the gentleman.

I have not listened/watched it myself - I just know its out there as the gentleman talked about it while he was on a radio station which can also be found somewhere and thought the justice for Cisco facebook page they have links.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts