Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Aussie's History

We rescued our second australian shepherd after our first aussie passed away.

He currently has diarrhea and has had it for a good while. We first got him tested for worms and the test showed nothing.

Then the diarrhea continued. It was not diarrhea all the time but enough to cause us a good deal of concern. So at a later time when the diarrhea didn't end we got his stool sample tested a second time and it came back that he had hook worms.

He was on hook work medicine and his diarrhea went away for a bit. But it came back, and so we got another stool sample test. While on hook worm meds he has been eating a meal of chicken and rise which was recommended by the vet dr.

Our aussie typically eats the commercial dog food named Innova Evo because we read that they use the highest quality ingredients. (if you know of a superior commercial dog food for aussies please post and let me know your recommendation!!)

The vet dr. is now telling us he no longer has hook works but some type of stomach bacteria, and so he is on antibiotics now, along with the chicken and rice diet which he loves ^_^. Our aussie has been on the anti biotics for a week now, and we aren't seeing too dramatic of an improvement in his stool :(

Questions

1. One cause for concern is that we heard from a friend that the doctor did not correctly diagnose another dog's pink eye. the vet dr determined at first that this dog had something other then pink eye, prescribed some meds. the eye didn't get better the folks took the dog in again and the vet dr finally determined it was pink eye.... This causes me concern because how difficult could it be to ascertain that a dog has a pink eye?? From what we heard should we consider taking our aussie to another doctor?

2. Has anyone else had an aussie whose diarrhea was diagnosed as a stomach bacteria, and given antibiotics? How long did it take to cure the diarrhea? We've heard aussie's have sensitive stomachs but from what I think he is getting a good diet from the commercial dog food.

3. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/feeding-healthy-natural-dog-food.html <--- Does anyone know of a commercial dog food that meets all these criteria?

Any recommendations for an aussie's diet, or health please let us know!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Add canned Pumpkin to his diet as well as a good yogurt with live cultures, the good bacteria in the yogurt will help combat the bad bacteria in his gut now.

My recipe for Chicken and rice dog food is...

boiled meat of one whole chicken, bones taken out

2 cups uncooked BROWN rice (I cook it in a rice steamer)

once the rice is steamed, add the chicken to it along with 1/2c canned Pumpkin.

Add 2T yogurt JUST before serving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had been taking the Metronidazole for 10 days. Two times a day.
Well he is off of the Metronidazole and he is still having diarrhea :(

To be detailed it is not 100% liquid diarrhea. There are some solid pieces in it, but it is not a normal poop / log so to speak.

We are going to take him to a new doctor in a couple of days to see what this new doctor says.

We thought he might be getting a little too much food. He gets 1 & 1/3 cup of Innovo Evo, but we don't think he gets enough physical exercize to warrant that much so we cut it down to one cup.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My guy is 10 months old now and he gets 2.5 cups of Orijen Puppy a day. The only time he has ever had runny poop is when I fed him raw lamb bones :eek:. Yikes !!!! Put an end to that really quick . My Aussie has had no issues with his Orijen . cshellenberger is correct about the pumpkin , it will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what drug was your aussie on for hook worm? some aussie could have strang reactions to certain medications, a condition called multi-drug sensitivity, although that doesn't seem to likely in this case. aussies do tend to have extremely sensitve smotach. my aussie can't have certain types of treats because they make him vomit. i feed my dog canidae chicken and rice. he seems to be fine and not have any weird reactions, and he has been on it his whole life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN-5Nnk8Sys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what drug was your aussie on for hook worm? some aussie could have strang reactions to certain medications, a condition called multi-drug sensitivity, although that doesn't seem to likely in this case. aussies do tend to have extremely sensitve smotach. my aussie can't have certain types of treats because they make him vomit. i feed my dog canidae chicken and rice. he seems to be fine and not have any weird reactions, and he has been on it his whole life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0zN9br-jTo
hmmm I'll have to look up his hook worm meds. But he has been off the hookwork meds for a good while now. there was about 2-3 weeks before he got off the hookworm meds, his poops got loose / diarrhea-ish and he took the antibiotics

For some reason his poops are back to normal not sure why but it is a good thing. we where thinking it might be an issue with the heat. we are in thousand oaks sfv and it can get very hot here, recently its cooled down a bit however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts