Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at the thread in my sig, you'll know I don't spend a lot of time around this dog, but I'd like to start caring for him while I'm there. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about it.

So, how do you groom/bathe an Aussie? The only thing he knows is a comb, similar to a human comb. Anything else makes him panic; it doesn't help that he doesn't sit still in the first place.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Australian Shepherd or Australian Cattle Dog?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Get him used to being still using tiny treats. I'd be sitting on the floor with dog between my legs. Treat in one hand and stroking him with the other. Be sure to handle feet, legs, belly and head. Then use comb on legs moving up as the fur is groomed so you don't hurt him and can get down to the skin. Once he is accepting handling introduce other tools. A shedding rake maybe, a pin brush maybe. Leash him to limit his options when he decides enough is enough. Consider this training more than actual getting him pretty and keep sessions extremely short at first, maybe a couple minutes at a time. You could do many sessions daily though. 4 sessions and legs might be combed out. Next day maybe get his head pretty and so on. Then next month you'll easily get all legs neat in one session, body and head in another and month after that you'll wonder what you were fussed about.

Main thing with baths is to have coat in good condition starting out and completely rinse the shampoo out. If shampoo not rinsed skin will be irritated and itchy and you will need to give another bath again as soon as possible. Been there, done that! So brush him out, wash, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and then let drip and squeeze water out. Brush/comb coat out several times as he dries to remove loose hair and help dry the coat. I take dogs for a walk if it's over 60*F and might play and train for the 15 minutes it takes my little guys to dry if it's too cold out mostly to keep them off the furniture. Shepherd or Cattle dog would take a lot longer to dry that way, my densely coated dog took 45 minutes in dry warm weather!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aussie as in Australian Shepherd. He’s a 3-year-old Blue Merle Toy Aussie.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe try using a grooming comb/brush to pet or massage him worth first just to get him used to seeing the tool and feeling it on his body. Slowly work in brushing and combing. Once he is used to that, then you can introduce more tools. If you plan on grooming him fully on your own then you will need to invest in a metal comb, undercoat rake, dematting comb, nail clippers (recommend paws pamper for those 4), shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner/detangler, ear cleaner, toothbrush/paste (petrodex), clippers (andis), grooming scissors (for trimming feet hair, behind ears, around sani, tail hair). It's a decent investment but will save you tons of money including your time, gas $, and grooming fee (between $25-40 every 6-8 weeks). Good luck! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U204CD4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00U204CD4&pd_rd_wg=Wj0Ic&pd_rd_r=57777MMWKZ0GHE3PJN16&pd_rd_w=EMYj5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts