Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i hear about america and how they have the best foods for dogs...australia has very little to offer in the dog food dept. the most expensive and apparently according to most on here, least effective, is eukanuba, there's also science diet and royal canin I don't touch any of these, but opt for an organic grey hound food, it's expensive but i believe the only truly trustworthy product and I have used it for years, it is special ordered into the feed shop. Now i was wondering why does america have an ample supply of wonderful food choices and yet australia is stuck with the bottom of the barrel and to get good food you have to pay and arm and a leg and search and search? It doesn't seem fair...

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Apparently the "land of opportunity" applies to dog food too.

We seem to have more of a "push" for it...don't know why.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I might be just guessing here and I hope I don't offend anyone... but it could be that the general attitude towards dogs in each country is different? Obviously there are exceptions, but Aussies seem a lot more laid back about their dogs... a lot of them are working dogs who probably sleep outside or in separate housing, who aren't on three or four different kinds of preventatives, who eat kibble and some table scraps. I'm not saying that Australians are neglectful of their pets... I'm saying it could be the difference between a country in which the majority of dogs are workers, and a country in which the majority of dogs are family pets.

I know in Singapore, China, Korea and Japan, dogs are very often accessories or "kids"... you will not find a greater range of dog outfits anywhere on the other side of the world.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be just guessing here and I hope I don't offend anyone... but it could be that the general attitude towards dogs in each country is different? Obviously there are exceptions, but Aussies seem a lot more laid back about their dogs... a lot of them are working dogs who probably sleep outside or in separate housing, who aren't on three or four different kinds of preventatives, who eat kibble and some table scraps. I'm not saying that Australians are neglectful of their pets... I'm saying it could be the difference between a country in which the majority of dogs are workers, and a country in which the majority of dogs are family pets.

I know in Singapore, China, Korea and Japan, dogs are very often accessories or "kids"... you will not find a greater range of dog outfits anywhere on the other side of the world.
I see what you're saying, that was the general consensus about 10-15 years ago =, but in the last decade or so dogs have been turned into more of the family pet, I for one grew up on rural farm with many hybrid working dogs, most with bc or kelpie, aussies are more laid back about everything, i'll grant us that, but our dogs are becoming more and more spoiled, i just don't believe that the general populace is aware that science diet and eukanuba is a complete rip off, aussie vets still swear by science diet...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Most vets in the US, as well as here, also swear by brands like Science Diet and Eukanuba. I would say that the general populace in the US is equally unaware about how bad these foods are. Take DF as a microcosm: every week we get a new poster joining and saying he didn't realise how bad Science Diet was. It's still a relatively unknown fact.

It's also that a lot of the premium dog foods are manufactured in the States, so naturally they ship more widely there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts