Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one-hour-each-way daily commute to work (if the weather is good) and I've found different ways of amusing myself during the long drive.

I have Sirius radio. I have a 6-disc CD player. I have GPS and, while I don't need directions to get to work, I enjoy watching the pretty colors on the screen and listening to the robotic voice try to pronounce Ashwaubenon. I've listened to about 64 1-hour podcasts of This Week in Photography.

Lately, though, I've been listening to audio books on an iPod Touch, plugged into a direct feed on the stereo. I downloaded some from iTunes and, last week, signed up for Audible.com.

I've listened to I Am Legend and I Robot - both of which were excellent and neither of which bears any resemblance to the respective Will Smith movies.

I recently finished Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with a really excellent narration and enjoyed it immensely. I was relieved to discover that there are four additional books in the "trilogy" and downloaded all of them.

Now I'm listening to Watchers by Dean Koontz. Not too sure about the story yet, but it's about a truly exceptional Golden retriever and takes place in Santa Barbara, so I can't go too far wrong.

I'm vaguely embarrassed to admit to people that I listen to books instead of reading them. My mother, who is 96 and legally blind, listens to books. I feel like I should be reading them, but it's risky doing that while I'm driving and, if I try to read in the evening, I fall asleep. I tend to read a lot on vacation, but I haven't taken a vacation in a really long time.

Audible.com, BTW, is a wonderful resource for those similarly addicted. Ironically, I discovered them as sponsor of the TWIP (This Week in Photography) podcast and blog. If you go to the blog, there is a link for a free trial membership to audible.com and a free download of a book of your choice. They have some 50,000 choices.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
RonE, I am an absolute book reading addict but also have enjoyed audio books while traveling. I go to the library every other week to load up on reading material. On one of my visits I noticed the audio book section and decided to try one out on an upcoming trip. I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, not to mention that it made what would have been a very boring trip drive fly by without much notice.
Thanks for the link suggestion! I'm on my way over there now to check out the books. :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I am a huge book fan ....I think one of the best Xmas gifts I got this year was a 100$ bookstore gift card....I love just siting around the bookstore reading and drinking coffee :)

I also love audio books for long car trips...as some times reading in the car can give me a headache .....I have not checked the library for audio books though that is a great idea!!

Ron.....Watchers is one of the best Dean Koontz books (IMO) another great one is Phantoms (the movie was terrible)...I have probably read 20 Dean Koontz books and those 2 I have re read at least 3 times each

2 audio books I really enjoyed and wish I could remember who read them was ...Phantom of the Opera...and **** Tracy (the person who read it did really great voices for all the characters)

Man the potty mouth filter wont let me write D!ck Tracy ....LOL

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I adore my audio books, it's how I got through Don Qiuxto (botched the spelling) and all theCharles D i c ken's books. My kid brother goes through the LOTR series all the time, and now reads them all the time as well.

I got through "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Audio. All 29 + hours.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I have been a audible member for 4 years and have downloaded more then 70 books. I listen in the car (along with NPR on Sirius), while cleaning, walking the dog, at the gym, at the dog park if there are no one to chat with, etc.

The one thing I found that I can't do is simply sit and listen as I could sit and read.

Of the 70 books I've downloaded, the ones I've liked enough for a second listen are:
Life of Pi
Water for Elephants
A Short History of Nearly Everything
The Kite Runner
The Pillars of the Earth
The Road
Child 44
A Prisoner of Birth

I am currently listening to Long Lost by Harlen Coban.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good recommendations. I've already downloaded Life of Pi and The Road, so they're coming up soon. I'm listening for 2 hours/day, so I avoid abridged versions.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Life of Pi is a really good book.

I've never listened to that many audible books, only a few Dean Koontz, and The Color of Water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts