Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this may be posted elsewhere, I looked but couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone had any good training tips on how to get my dog to be more attentive to me. I do a lot of come training with him, and he's really good at it when he's bored or energetic. But all in all he isn't very attentive. For instance if he is laying down, I can't get him to come to me, and also if we are out walking in the woods, even after hours when he is getting tired, he won't respond to my calls at all. I know that he's still a puppy (almost 1 year old) but I was wondering what training I could do to help. I've tried treat training while in the woods or a backyard, but he really prioritizes everything far above my call. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think you have to be more fun then anything else in the woods or anywhere else. That said, I never take my dogs off leash until their recall is pretty darn 100%. Training must be fun for the dog to be truly successful. Some dogs excel at training faster then others. Some are easier to motivate but each dog has it's secret trigger. You find the trigger and you are on your way. Try toys instead of treats. Get really excited when you call your dog. When he looks up at you run the other way calling his name. Hopefully he will come running to you. When he gets there get him real excited with a game of tug or toss the ball for him. Come to you should NOT mean the end of freedom or the end of a game. It should mean, more fun and happy times. I think recall is the hardest to teach for some people because if the dog doesn't automatically know it, people get frustrated. Keep your dog on leash when you don't have time to fart around a bit or when you are in unfenced areas. Once your dog is reliable you will be able to take him off again. Practice "fun recalls" and let us know how it is working for you. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comment. I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I think that sticks may be my dogs "trigger". I've never taken him off leash before, but I do have a long extendable leash that I use for training outside. I think I'm gonna head out with him tomorrow and find a bunch of sticks and practice recall. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Hello, this may be posted elsewhere, I looked but couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone had any good training tips on how to get my dog to be more attentive to me. I do a lot of come training with him, and he's really good at it when he's bored or energetic. But all in all he isn't very attentive. For instance if he is laying down, I can't get him to come to me, and also if we are out walking in the woods, even after hours when he is getting tired, he won't respond to my calls at all. I know that he's still a puppy (almost 1 year old) but I was wondering what training I could do to help. I've tried treat training while in the woods or a backyard, but he really prioritizes everything far above my call. Any ideas?
I've bonded deeply with each of my 4 dogs, which is important, of course, but, the bottom line is that I need to be more interesting than anything out there when out and about. I have absolutely no dignity when it comes to working with my dogs! They LOVE it when I am goofy - no doubts about it! While at home, I'm fairly non-verbal. So, when I do speak, they're right there wanting to know who, what, when, where, why! LOL FLBs (furry little bast**ds) are of EXTREME interest to my dogs, and here in FL we have Squirells, 'Possums, Raccoons, Snakes, Lizzards, Rats, Mice, and more, SO, I have to be a lot more fun and interesting when they've spied one of them, in order to get them to come to me. With multiple dogs, it's extremely important to provide one-on-one time with each, so that their bond to me is stronger than with the other dog(s).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Believe it or not you have to literally "train" a dog to pay attention to you. Some breeds are more difficult than others because some have aloof personalities. Personally, my pitbulls have no problem focusing on me. Ever since they were puppies I implanted into their heads that everything regarding humans is an absolute ball. Sometimes I have food or a toy. Sometimes nothing, but the point is you have to make "coming when called" fun for dogs as stated before in this thread.

Hand signals are excellent communication tactics to start with dogs. My mother's terrier mix didn't respond well to verbal commands at all. She would never listen to the command "wait" before eating her food. She even bit me. I got rid of this food aggression by feeding her piece by piece for a few days. During which I taught her to pay attention to me before saying too many things to her. When I stood up she stood up and studied my movements. I could raise my palm as a "stop" signal and she would automatically sit down. Later I added the word "sit" and she eventually got the point and sat down.

Soon, the dog will pay attention to every aspect of your existence. If I point to my dog's crate, they'll go to them because they know me pointing in that particular direction is an order. Also, by pointing to the crate, they know I want them to go in there anyway. Same applies anywhere else. I could point to a fence and they'll hop over it if my hand is high or under if my hand is low. Of course, I had a lot of time with my dogs because at the time I was only in high school with no responsibilities. :D

PB

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for your comment. I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I think that sticks may be my dogs "trigger". I've never taken him off leash before, but I do have a long extendable leash that I use for training outside. I think I'm gonna head out with him tomorrow and find a bunch of sticks and practice recall. Thanks a lot.

Please, please DON'T. Sticks can be very dangerous! They can cause serious even fatal injuries. Find something safer that your dog likes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts