Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question isn't100% focused on training technique(s), but it is about my puppy's behavior, and I kind of feel like shaping that behavior is a non-stop training session when it comes to puppies. But mods, if it belongs elsewhere, my apologies.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of a dilemma with respect to my 13-week-old puppy and how much of my day should be devoted to her.

With my last puppy, I worked outside of the house, so i'd work (exercise/training/play) her in the morning, come home at lunch to let her out of the crate, feed her, go a couple rounds of wrestling, etc and for the most part spend the rest of my evenings after work with her and things worked out quite well.

I now work from home, which I thought would be the optimal situation. The issue is that she wants/demands attention from me every waking second of the day. How horrible, right? HaHa. I can't get enough of the little girl and am SO psyched that I do get to be home with her.

The problem is when life gets in the way (i.e. when I have to sit at my desk and actually work, I have to use the bathroom, I have to be alone with my thoughts for a bit, etc). As we all know, a puppy will do whatever it takes to get our attention. And when just sitting there and being cute doesn't work, they take more drastic measures... such as chasing the cat or eating the furniture.

Most days, I try to devote at least 15 minutes/hour (average) to her during the work day. Other days, I have more down time and it all goes to her. Unfortunately, she cannot differentiate between these types of days and expects all my attention all the time.

I guess my question is: am I spoiling her by giving her all that extra downtime (when I have it) so now she expects it all the time (even when I only have the 15 min/hr)?

Should I be crating her a certain amount of time each day regardless of whether or not I'm home and/or indisposed?

It sounds logical to me that the more time you can spend with your puppy, the better, but I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
So, as much as working away from home and having to leave my puppy alone for hours every day stinks, there's a positive side to it - it's my time to de-stress and relax without having to think "OMG, what is the puppy destroying now?!" every 5 minutes.

I think crating her for 2-3 hours in the morning while you work, then taking her out and playing with her, and then crating her for 2-3 hours in the afternoon would give her time to sleep (puppies need sleep!) and you time to unwind and get the things you need to do done.

I don't necessarily think it's the more time you spend with a puppy, the better. It's about quality of time and attention, and when the puppy is running around chewing on furniture because you have to do real life things, it's not quality time. That's a perfect time for the puppy to be in a crate with a stuffed Kong or bone :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would try to structure your day more like you would if you left the house for work. Crate her most of the time and focus on work, and take breaks maybe ever 2-3 hours to play with her for a bit. It will be harder for her to settle down at first knowing that you're home, but she'll get the hang of the routine. Then when she is older she'll be conditioned to sleep all day and let you work. If you give her attention all the time that's what you'll condition.

I work from home occasionally (like if the weather is bad) and my dogs sleep and leave me alone, because their routine is to sleep all day when I'm typically at work. I would aim for something like that even if I worked from home all the time.

Some of this will just become a moot point when she's older. Most adult dogs are happy to sleep at your feet and not get in the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pheeeeeeeeew! So I'm not a horrible and cruel dog owner for thinking that not only COULD she be spending a couple hours in the crate while I'm home working/thinking/relaxing/etc but she actually SHOULD be.

Some of this will just become a moot point when she's older. Most adult dogs are happy to sleep at your feet and not get in the way.
This was the exact situation I had with my last pup. I started working from home when she was about 5, at which point, she instantly found a nook under my desk to settle into. That worked great for the rest of her days. I hope to have the same this time around.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would try to structure your day more like you would if you left the house for work. Crate her most of the time and focus on work
This is what I do with mine (I do not really work from home but I have a very flexi schedule and am home a lot) They know that when it hits 12 pm it is nap time they will go into their crates on their own and stay there till 3/3:30 when it is time for their next feeding. Sometimes I close the door and sometimes I don't have too. At first it was a fight to keep then quiet the whole time now they just are.

I would recommend crate games and making the crate her 2nd home so don't feel horrible about using the crate in moderation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts