Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been busy training our 4 month old shepherd mix and she's been doing great (aside from frequent mouthing 'tantrums'). However when we take her to her puppy obedience classes she is the worst dog there - mainly because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get her to pay any attention to us with all of the other dogs around. She can't go out on walks for another week until her final vaccinations kick in...how can we train her to focus on us at home?

·
Registered
683 Posts
One of my dogs has GREAT eye contact, however, my nearly five year old GSD/Great Dane NEVER makes eye contact. I have been working with him by finding a treat that he is crazy about, getting him to focus on that, and then bringing it up to my eye-level while giving the command "watch." As soon as he makes eye contact, he gets the treat and loads of praise. I'm sure others will chime in with great advice, but this is what I'm trying. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
We've been busy training our 4 month old shepherd mix and she's been doing great (aside from frequent mouthing 'tantrums'). However when we take her to her puppy obedience classes she is the worst dog there - mainly because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get her to pay any attention to us with all of the other dogs around. She can't go out on walks for another week until her final vaccinations kick in...how can we train her to focus on us at home?
I don't use a "watch" command :) With my pup, I waited until he voluntarily reoriented to me, even in my general direction, and marked and rewarded that. EVERY single time, even at home. Yes, I did carry a clicker and treats with me pretty much everywhere we went for a good few weeks until he learned how the game worked. It was well worth it. Eventually they learn that a distraction present = an oppourtunity to get a reward for looking at you. Tag is funny, when he sees another dog, or a person, coming to class he sits straight up, looks at them with his ears up/tail wagging, and then turns to me with a look like "do you see me mom?"

·
Registered
388 Posts
I do use a watch command. I start by grabbing a treat in my hand, and then saying the dog's name. As soon as he glances at me, even the slightest bit toward me, I click and treat. After a few repetitions, the dog looks at me very quickly after I grab the treat. At this point, I start adding the command, and when he can do that, I increase the length of time he has to look at me before he gets the treat. Rigel is the world-champion stare-er, but even Pix will focus very hard on me if I grab a treat and say "watch me," which was a major triumph for him, what with being SO MOTIVATED by food. You can see him quivering, and focusing on the extremely hard work of watching me and not the treat in my hand.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I do use a watch command. I start by grabbing a treat in my hand, and then saying the dog's name. As soon as he glances at me, even the slightest bit toward me, I click and treat. After a few repetitions, the dog looks at me very quickly after I grab the treat. At this point, I start adding the command, and when he can do that, I increase the length of time he has to look at me before he gets the treat. Rigel is the world-champion stare-er, but even Pix will focus very hard on me if I grab a treat and say "watch me," which was a major triumph for him, what with being SO MOTIVATED by food. You can see him quivering, and focusing on the extremely hard work of watching me and not the treat in my hand.
So is my friends' BC :) We joke that we have to remind him to blink! Auz is a stare-er as well, and he gets obsessive/fixated on whatever he's looking at. The Look At That Game has really helped him through this with distractions. I don't work with him nearly as much as I should, but he's good about it usually. Funniest part is when they offer a sideways glance and look eagerly back at you, like "Did you see me look at that dog over there? Wasn't that cool??"

·
Registered
388 Posts
So is my friends' BC :) We joke that we have to remind him to blink! Auz is a stare-er as well, and he gets obsessive/fixated on whatever he's looking at. The Look At That Game has really helped him through this with distractions. I don't work with him nearly as much as I should, but he's good about it usually. Funniest part is when they offer a sideways glance and look eagerly back at you, like "Did you see me look at that dog over there? Wasn't that cool??"
LOL, yes, I love that part. And Rigel might need that reminder too. It is so funny how intensely he stares.

Us: "You know it's really creepy when you do that, right?"
Rigel: *tiny tail wag; creepy stare*
Pixel: *barks, translating to "stop staring at me, I am not a sheep!"*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts