Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a concrete area and on one side is a 5 foot rock wall, as straight vertical as a rock wall can be, and this shiba inu (she's a guest dog I have over from time to time) likes to try jumping it. She stands at the base and tries to jump straight up.

Here is my question: Is it true laying some wire (like chicken wire) flat on the ground by the base of the wall will deter (because the feel of wire under the paws) her from jumping it? And can she or other medium dogs normally jump a 5 foot fence? (she's the only guest who ever tried jumping the fence, everyone else is completely fine)

Very simple question, please don't answer with things like: exercise her more, don't leave her unattended, extend the top part of the fence, etc. ..please, just answers for this question.. very much appreciated, thank you. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area..

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't think wire on the ground would make a difference. The reason most people do that is to keep them from digging, never heard it would stop them from jumping.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
dogs like to be right up on the fence ... so anything that sets them back from the actual fence or blocks their straight upward vision is a good deterrent from jumping (makes it awkward for them)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I would suggest putting up chicken wire in front of the wall standing...not lying on the ground. That would accomplish what PCO said. Not sure how your yard is set up with the concrete, though. Might make it tough to drive wooden stakes in the ground to attach the wire to.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Yes, chicken wire on the ground can deter some dogs, in the same idea that a cattle guard deters cows. And just as some cows can walk over cattle guards, some dogs are not deterred by chicken wire, but it's cheap enough to try. It may help to bend it just a little, so that it's unstable when the dog walks on it. Let us know...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts