Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

Tonight my hubby and I bought a new Fluval 305 for our 46g bow front aquarium. We are currently running an Aqua Clear 50 and I'm not too happy with it. Our tank has some dead zones and I need to remedy it. We thought about adding a power head but decided that we may as well just get a better filter. Now I'm second guessing myself lol.

We have no experience with canister filter, only hang on ones. We used to run 3 tanks but now only have one, our 46g freshwater. It is also live planted.

I have read some very mixed reviews on it. Some said that they were crap, others say that they are awesome. My biggest concern is a leak and having 40+ gallons of fish water on my carpet.

So I would love to know what you all think. I can still take it back if need be. We only just opened the box and looked at it. We probably would have started it up but had to stop to watch UFC lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a new Fluval 305 sitting in a box, won it in a club raffle. I plan on torture testing it, reviewing it, and giving it away. I've heard of leakage problems with it as well. While this doesn't matter much as all my tanks are in the basement with a concrete floor, I still don't like to mop unless I have to.

Look into an Eheim 2224. I see they are about $30 more online, but well worth it. I run mine on a way overstocked 55, along with an Eheim 2222. I have run them for a year solid with no maintenance, no noticeable flow loss, and no fish losses out of the ordinary. I breed fish, have more tanks than most people have fish. There is a reason I'm not getting rid of those two filters, they are the only canisters running in my fishroom. They have been running for several years, the 2222 was used. They are nearly indestructible, I've heard of folks running the classics for a dozen years or more with nothing other than routine maintenance.

When I had a 65 gallon running upstairs, in a carpeted living room above a drywall finished basement I was running a 2026. Never had a problem with it in the 4 years I had it running, the only reason that tank got moved was a new carpet install. I'm keeping that one down stairs due to maintenance being easier, recently ran hot & cold water to the fishroom.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply :)

We don't have any Eheim filters up here and I can't order any off of the internet :(

What kind of fish do you breed? Once upon a time my hubby and I started to breed guppies. Stopped after about a year though... too many moves! We moved 4 times in 4 years. Ended up getting rid of all 3 of our tanks and fish. Now, 3 years later we have fish again. I don't think we'll start purposely breeding again though. Maybe in the future though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You sure can order them off of the internet; http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17898/cl0/pg1/eheim2126professioneliithermofilter/?oldParentID=&item_orderbydirection=DESC&item_orderby=csku_qsoldstore&ctl_nbr=3664&keys=&attrib_cnt=&attrib_search=&attrib_id_0=&attrib_value_0=&viewType=Category&specialOffers=&merchgroup=&isManufacturer=&pageSize=12

I've dealt with Big Al's for years, good company. I see they don't carry the Pro line, wonder if that is a discontinued item. Told ya I had them running for a while.

Look into the Classics, 2213 or 2215. They don't have the convenience of media containers like the Pro or Pro II line, but do run forever. I have a 2217, along with an AC70 running on a 72 gallon oscar tank, awesome filtration, the AC is set up for mechanical, canister for bio. Avoid the ECCO range, this is an entry level filter, outsorced, and needs more frequent maintenance, though I've never had one leak. The Pro II's are excellent filters, but a bit pricey, like anything else you get what you pay for.

I breed mostly angels, have 7 spawns at various stages of growing out ATM. I've got some leleupi breeding, as well as some albino bristlenose. The two little terriers are my fishroom assistants, take care of spare flake & such that hits the floor.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I could order off the internet but I can't... don't have creditcards. So i have to shop locally and we are many hours away from a large city. I have read many good things about the Eheim filters this morning... wish I could get one lol!

I think my best bet is to either keep my Aqua Clear 50 and get a power head or use the Fluval. I'm going to check out the pet store again today and double check on the Eheims though just in case I missed them.

My guys love the fish food as well lol! They go nuts as soon as they see us grabbing the contanier of flakes. They aren't to interested in the bloodworms though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wynpyp where are you? Sorry I have no help to offer but i am currently looking to rehome a 14" pleco. My 33 gal is just to small for him. He would be in heaven in your tank.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Grande Prairie. I don't think my tank would be big enough for your Pleco either. The common Pleco's get massive! Thank you though :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use both the Fluval 405 and Filstar XP3 . I have 8 aquariums ranging from 10 gallon to 150 gallon. I put the Fluval 405 on my 40 gallon it works great I had to replace the old Fluval because I came home to water all over my floor but I have been using this one for almost 2 years now and not even a sign of leaking. But I do prefer the Filstar much more and am thinking about replacing the Fluval with a Filstar.

I know a few people who have had the Fluval leak but most that use it never have a problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yay! Another Albertan! :) (I'm out by Edmonton.)

I have on my 55g is an AquaClear 70 and an AquaClear 50. Between the two of them they seem to do a great job keeping the tank filtered. That said, I'm an idiot about any other types of filters. ;) So far the ACs haven't given me any trouble.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've never used a Fluval, but I do love canister filters...put a Eheim 2213 on my 29gal planted tank not long ago, and I love it to pieces.

The Aquaclears are nice too...probably the most customizable of the hang on back filters. If you aren't comfortable with the Fluval cannister, I would return it and add a second AC on the other side of the tank to help, as a single AC50 seems rather underrated for a 46g. I don't know what livestock you have in there though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
We have a 65 gal and have the Eheim 2215. We have had it set up for about 3 yrs now and it has been awesome. My DH had a large fish and reptile store for years and we have bred cichlids (Tankganyikans specifically) for years, so he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would see if your local shop could order in the Eheim for you. I've never had a credit card, I use the number off of my cash station card. I'm a strong believer in if you don't have it don't spend it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No probs. Wow GP. I'm Dawson. Just hop across the border. Wouldn't happpen to know anyone with a very large tank hey...lol I feel so bad for the guy.
Wow, you are pretty close! I do have a friend that has a 110g, I'll ask her if she's interested in your Pleco. I think it may be a salt water tank... doesn't hurt to ask though :)

I use both the Fluval 405 and Filstar XP3 . I have 8 aquariums ranging from 10 gallon to 150 gallon. I put the Fluval 405 on my 40 gallon it works great I had to replace the old Fluval because I came home to water all over my floor but I have been using this one for almost 2 years now and not even a sign of leaking. But I do prefer the Filstar much more and am thinking about replacing the Fluval with a Filstar.

I know a few people who have had the Fluval leak but most that use it never have a problem.
We don't have Filstar here either. I just got back from the LPS to double check on the Eheims. They only have Fluval and Rena for canisters.

Yay! Another Albertan! :) (I'm out by Edmonton.)

I have on my 55g is an AquaClear 70 and an AquaClear 50. Between the two of them they seem to do a great job keeping the tank filtered. That said, I'm an idiot about any other types of filters. ;) So far the ACs haven't given me any trouble.
Wow, there's a lot of us here that are fairly close! :D

That's what we had before. We would just put on 2 filters and everything was fine. This tank is high though and it just isn't good enough. When I was on my way to the LPS, I thought maybe about just getting a 2nd AC but for the price I'm just not sure.

I've never used a Fluval, but I do love canister filters...put a Eheim 2213 on my 29gal planted tank not long ago, and I love it to pieces.

The Aquaclears are nice too...probably the most customizable of the hang on back filters. If you aren't comfortable with the Fluval cannister, I would return it and add a second AC on the other side of the tank to help, as a single AC50 seems rather underrated for a 46g. I don't know what livestock you have in there though.
I'm gonna talk to my hubby when he gets home and see what he wants to do. He really wants to stick with the Fluval, I'm the one having second thoughts lol! Right now we have a community tank going on, small though. Gonna slowly add more in the next couple of months. For now we have 1 sm Angel, 4 female Guppies, 2 blue Paradise fish and 3 fancy goldfish. We want more guppies, a couple of cory's, a rubber lip pleco and 1 or 2 dwarf aquatic frogs. Probably add some tetras too at some point.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You can read what I think here, lol: http://athomasi.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-01-25T20:00:00-05:00&max-results=5

The rena is the same thing as the filstar. That is what I am using now on both of our tanks (a 60 USgallon and a 56 USgallon). I really like them, very easy to clean and restart:)

For now we have 1 sm Angel, 4 female Guppies, 2 blue Paradise fish and 3 fancy goldfish. We want more guppies, a couple of cory's, a rubber lip pleco and 1 or 2 dwarf aquatic frogs. Probably add some tetras too at some point.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, Is that your blog?
The rena is the same thing as the filstar. That is what I am using now on both of our tanks (a 60 USgallon and a 56 USgallon). I really like them, very easy to clean and restart:)
They looked nice! How can you tell I was in a rush... just took a quick look and didn't pay attention!

:eek:

lol you don't like goldfish?

·
Registered
688 Posts
We don't have Filstar here either. I just got back from the LPS to double check on the Eheims. They only have Fluval and Rena for canisters.
Should have mentioned in my earlier post a Filstar is a Rena they are Rena XP or Rena Filstar Xp

They look like

http://www.planetrena.com/Rena-XP-Filstar-Filters.html

Lol I am not sure Goldfish should be in the same tank with the other fish. The others you mentioned are tropical fish and Goldfish are coldwater fish.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Considering fancy goldfish need about 10-15 gallons each (depending who you ask), a 46 with 3 fancies AND other fish is pushing it a bit. I have 3 fancies in a 55g....though I might add a 4th eventually. But even with just 3 I'm having a hard time keeping the water quality up. Do you have a test kit? Even the best filter can't help if the tank is overstocked.

I've never used a canister filter, only HOBs. I have 2 large HOBs, and they do a decent job of preventing dead spots and icky build-up. I have heard good things about Ehiem, though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ya,we wondered how they would do when we put them in the tank, surprisingly they are doing really well. They were a gift to my kids from their granny. Eventually we will get them their own tank though. We stupidly didn't keep any of our old tanks... I'm kicking myself now!! We had a 37g, 20g and 10g. The 37 was live planted and had been running for 3.5 yrs, the 20g had live and fake plants and had been running for 4 yrs, 10g had fake plants and had been running for about 3 yrs.

Considering fancy goldfish need about 10-15 gallons each (depending who you ask), a 46 with 3 fancies AND other fish is pushing it a bit. I have 3 fancies in a 55g....though I might add a 4th eventually. But even with just 3 I'm having a hard time keeping the water quality up. Do you have a test kit? Even the best filter can't help if the tank is overstocked.

I've never used a canister filter, only HOBs. I have 2 large HOBs, and they do a decent job of preventing dead spots and icky build-up. I have heard good things about Ehiem, though.
The 3 fancy's are pretty small right now... only about 2 inches including their tails. We have a master test kit and test every week or more. 15-20% water changes every week as well. I'm not a goldfish person though, I'm partial to guppies. Goldfish are dirty little things lol! Pretty though!

So I just got back from the LPS. I took back the Fluval and got the Rena. Gonna set it up and start running it tonight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts