Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm furious right now. Just got back from a walk and my puppy ran ahead and started eating something giant that I couldn't see. It looked like some sort of rib bone (and smelt like food), but had lots of sharp corners on it.

She started eating it so I grabbed a piece of her favourite chicken treat to try and get her to drop it. She wouldn't even come close to trading it for what I had. She started snarling and growling like crazy at the time (Only 6lbs heavy, so I was holding her). Then when I heard it cracking in her mouth and she was trying to swallow it, I tried to pull it from her mouth so she wouldn't choke, and that's when she bit me... hard. The hardest she's ever bitten me (she normally isn't vicious like this). She may be small, but my finger was bleeding all over the sidewalk. She ended up swallowing whatever it was.

Anyways- how do you stop this?! There was no way in the world she was going to give that up, and for the moment I didn't notice her eating it she was still trying to eat it as fast as possible. So frustrated (and hurting... geesh)... Ideas???

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I know with my dogs being picked up adds to the anxiety of having whatever it is they have being taken away, so I would leave the dog on the ground if at all possible in these situations. Beyond that, you've really got to continue working hard at proofing the "leave it" and "trade" cues in more controlled situations. I like the "It's Yer Choice" game for this, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

·
Registered
126 Posts
you teach her the "leave it command" she should be so proficciant at it that she will leave ANYTHING you tell her to. You do not allow her off leash until recall and leave it are totally in her brain and 2nd nature to her.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh! That sounds terribly painful! So sorry about that.

One thing I would do is make sure our puppy can't run ahead of you. If she's off leash or on a flexi-lead, that's part of the problem. Get her on a short leash so you can interrupt this behavior before it happens. Freedom is great, but not when it can be dangerous to the dog.

Secondly, I would train your girl to allow you to take things out of her mouth. It's not going to happen overnight, but you should work on it in addition to "drop it" and "leave it" until you think you're going to die from repetition. :)

The reason I say you should train her to allow you to take things out of her mouth, instead of JUST "drop it" and "leave it" is that it's very possible for dogs to get foreign material stuck in their mouth. "Drop it" doesn't do any good if it's stuck in there and they may not always listen. I've had to reach in my dog's mouths a few times.

But I taught them as puppies. I can take raw bones or raw meat out of my dog's mouths. I have taken a rabbit out of their mouth, without ever being concerned about being bitten.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
You should be able to take anything from your dog at any time. The fact that she's somewhat food aggressive is an issue that you need to work on. I'd work on "leave it" or "drop it" to begin with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah we're in training working on those things now, mind you she's only 4 months old. But with her not knowing those things yet, its frustrating seeing her eat something harmful without being able to stop her at all. Though Pampered, you're right I probably should have left her on the ground. It just seemed easier at the time.

(And man my finger is in a numbing pain as I type this message... she got me really bad, I could only imagine if she was 60lbs at this age instead!)

Edit: FourisCompany, how do you teach them to 'take it' from their mouths? I can't picture how to train that without her eating something first. And I do have her walking okay for now, I've been working on getting her to stay by my side, which is why I had her favourite treats readily at hand.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
From the time my dog was very young I would open her mouth with my hands and pop a treat in there. I would then let her eat it and pet her and tell her she's a good puppy. I kept doing this every now and then and she always had a positive association with me opening her mouth. I can get anything out of there now with no problems.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
FourisCompany, how do you teach them to 'take it' from their mouths?
I trained it by starting when they were 8 weeks old. I would give them something delightful, let them chew it for a few minutes, then take it away, praise them and give it right back. Almost every time I give them a chewy treat, I take it away and give it back.

Here's what I would do. You can start with a medium value chew, like a nylabone that's large enough that she can't fit it into her mouth. Have a raw, meaty bone (or higher value treat like a bully stick) ready. Make sure there's a collar on your girl. Loop your left finger around her collar first (you'll use this to prevent or interrupt a bite). Give her the nylabone with your right hand and stay there while she chews. After several minutes, calmly take it away and (if she doesn't try to bite) praise her and immediately give her the raw bone. Trade up.

This repeated behavior let my dogs know that it's ok for me to take things from them because I always give it, or something even better, back to them. I still take things from my dogs. It's something I will practice all their lives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts