Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To all parents with skin kids:

At what age did you start to allow your child(ren) to walk the dog by themselves. I remember for me it was around 10 my mom would allow me to take our then 10year old Shepherd around the block alone. I think my siblings were around 12 or 13 before the need arose for them.. The reason I ask is because my nine year old has been showing interest in taking on more responsibility with training etc. and I have been contemplating allowing her to take Dycen ( the 20-25 lb german pinscher) for a walk around our development by herself. (She already takes him out back on leash to walk around the yard.) And it is a pretty dog savy, close knit neighborhood. ( As in, even if you don't exactly know your neighbor's name you know who they belong too and where they live.) Opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't have kids, but I am a kid myself :D I lived in the country for a long time so around 7 I was allowed to take my dog out for walks. He was off-leash though but stayed by my side. When we moved to town I was only allowed to go so far but now I can go anywhere. My littlest sister(7) can take Mae for walks but, just around the block.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I believe it should be at whatever age you feel they are physically strong enough, responsible enough and if you think they'd be safe out walking alone. And, whether or not the dog is willing to take commands from the child.
Personally, I'd go on a few walk with them first and hang back a little to see how they do and take it from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts