Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question, but recently I called PetSmart to find out their price for a dog bath, and they asked me what the breed is (Labrador Retriever) and how old (at that time he was 3 months)...... so they quoted me on a really cheap price for Puppies.

But NOW he is 4 months old (23lbs), and I want to take him back to Petsmart for a bath and nail trim, I consider him a puppy.... but others may not.... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hmmm I dunno I tend to consider dogs "puppies" until they're around 2 years old, lol! But that's mainly because a lot of dogs don't usually tend to have very mature personalities until then. When I adopted Basil he was a year and a half, and he had a very different maturity level compared to now (4 years old). I didn't really get to experience Basil's YOUNG puppy years but I like to think I possibly caught the tail end of his puppyhood when I adopted him.

(Also I think that just because a dog is physically grown up doesn't necessarily mean they're done being a puppy... I was fully grown in like my freshman year of high school but I certainly wasn't considered an adult back then, lol!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess people have different opinions and standards on this, I will just have to show up with my "puppy" to get a new quota

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
For this purpose Petsmart may have a cutoff age of 6-8 months. But I'm pretty sure 4 months will still be a puppy. But the special price may have only applied to your first visit. . .you can call to ask.

ETA: I looked it up on their site, and the lower price is good for "puppies up to 5 months". I don't know if that's up to their 5 month birthday or up to their 6 month birthday. But right now you'll get the puppy price.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
PetSmart, when I worked there, had a cut off age for what they consider puppy. I want to say it was 5 months and under, but it's possibly four I can't remember exactly.

My "puppy" is now 16 months old and I STILL call him a puppy.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I consider a dog a puppy until 15 months to 2 years old. haha :)
But our local petsmart (and other petstores) stops thinking of dogs as puppys at 6 months old.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My two are 4 and 5 but they don't seem to know it, Lol. We have a local festival here and every year and I always take my sibe. The humane society hosts a little show and you can enter different classes -helps them raise money. Usually I get comments on her being playful, but last year I had at least 10 people nod about her and say 'but she's still a puppy though, right? ;D' 'That's an awfully big puppy' 'I didn't think baby huskies got that big' and I just shook my head and said 'she turned four in January' and their eyes bugged out.
I don't consider them puppies anymore, but they still act like 8 month olds.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
People ask me all the time if Sydney is full grown or how big I think she's going to get. She'll be 5 in May, lol. To their credit she does look a lot like a lanky puppy in their awkward stage and isn't always perfectly behaved in public, haha.

For small dogs I consider them adult physically around 1 year old and mentally probably closer to 1.5-2 years old. I have no idea for larger ones.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Labs are adults at around 1 year for food purposes, but they may continue filling out until 2.5 years or so. I consider them to be mature adults at 3 - 5 years, and seniors starting at 7 years.... However, I think there are other folks like me who might continue to consider their 11 yo to be a 'puppy' :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My Pyrenees was a puppy until she passed at 11.5 years old. My dogs are puppies through their entire life. :D

If we're talking literally - then it would be about 1-2 years old depending on breed.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would normally consider a dog a puppy until 1.5-2 years of age. Of course personality wise some dogs are mentally puppies until their teens.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel just turned four recently and I get asked "how big is he going to get?" or hear "he's such a playful puppy" quite often. He's 50# and I've had people shocked when I told them how old he is and the only bigger he'll get is if I let him get fat. He's just a silly boy and his goofiness is taken as puppy behavior often which is fine with me, I love a goofy fun dog.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I agree with the 1.5-2yrs of age. Peanut is now 1 yr old and is very much a puppy.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster is 3 and I still call him my puppy, no matter how old he gets he'll always be my puppy. Saints are usually considered mature at 3. He was groomed at Petsmart once, puppy rate because he was under 5 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its probably best that you ask PetSmart about the actual cut off age between a puppy and a dog, sometimes it may also depend on the breed and size of you dog. I would still consider a 4mo old a puppuy though, still quite young at that age although maybe it may sometimes depend on the body size as well.
I have a chihuahua and its at 6 mos, still considers her a puppy!haha! i guess it sometimes depends on your perception sometimes people perceive small dogs to "age slower" just cause of thier size

1 - 17 of 17 Posts