Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know there are different opinions on this, and it might depend on breed. But...

Is 7 weeks old adequate for a Weim puppy to come home?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Myself personally, I do not feel comfortable bringing a pup home that is not 8 weeks old or older. 12 weeks is ideal, 7 weeks is manageable, but 8 weeks seems to be the standard.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
8 weeks is the norm. I did bring my dog Lars home at 7 weeks old because I couldn't make it out to Rochester, NY when he was 8 weeks. He turned out just fine.

I did bring Ocean home at 10 - 11 weeks....I do wish I was able to get him at 8 weeks because I had to really make up for some socialization lost on those 2 - 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Was going to say ^^ there's nothing wrong with bringing a dog at 7 weeks, some people find it a bit harder due to that missing week with their mom and littermates, but it's not the end of the world

·
Registered
329 Posts
7 weeks is the youngest I would take a puppy. I've gotten a couple at that age and they were absolutely fine, and I actually preferred it that way since I wanted to get started as early as possible on socialization and training. But I would not want to get a pup younger than 49 days, and unless there were very extenuating circumstances of some kind, I don't think any good breeder would let me.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We got Annabel at 10.5 weeks because, for Newfs, a reputable breeder will not let them go before they see a cardiologist to check for SAS, which needs to be done no earlier than 10 weeks.

We got Beckett at 7.5 weeks and have no problems.

I wouldn't go earlier than 7 weeks, personally, and as others have stated, 8 weeks seems to be the norm for most breeds.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
7 weeks should be fine. I like to get them around 7-8 weeks. I don't really like getting them older. I like to start training them asap.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm pushing back picking up my puppy until he's 9.5 weeks old because my mom is out of town the weekend he turns 8 weeks and she *really* wants to go with me to get him. I'm a little nervous about it, but the breeder has told me that she will work with him in a more focused and individual manner after the rest of the litter has been picked up at 8 weeks old.

I'm glad he'll at least be getting some direct attention, even if it's not from me. But *sigh*.... He's going to be so big already :(

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I know breeders I would consider reputable that have rehomed puppies at 7 weeks in specific circumstances (though not as a general rule). I don't think you can make a blanket statement that no reputable breeder would ever do it.

But it would raise a flag for me and make me want to investigate further. I don't think it depends on breed either - there are breeds I would like to see held back longer possibly, but none that I would want to go home earlier. 8 weeks is the norm and when I prefer to pick up my pups (I think Watson was 9.5 weeks due to my schedule, and Hazel was almost exactly 8 weeks).

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I know breeders I would consider reputable that have rehomed puppies at 7 weeks in specific circumstances (though not as a general rule). I don't think you can make a blanket statement that no reputable breeder would ever do it.

But it would raise a flag for me and make me want to investigate further. I don't think it depends on breed either - there are breeds I would like to see held back longer possibly, but none that I would want to go home earlier. 8 weeks is the norm and when I prefer to pick up my pups (I think Watson was 9.5 weeks due to my schedule, and Hazel was almost exactly 8 weeks).
This is basically my thoughts as well.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Some breeds 7 is the norm. In other breeds like toy breeds it is usually more like 10-16 weeks.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
A truly reputable breeder will properly 'socialize' the pups, not only from birth to 8 weeks, but also from 8 to 10 to 12 weeks and so on if required. It's not like they give up the socializing program at 7 weeks because they feel it's not their job, or as if they're sitting on their duffs praying for the new owners to come and pick them up asap. And reputable breeders know their stuff, what values and experiences to instill in the dog etc, at least as good if not better than the average puppy buyer.

Personally I think 10 weeks is a happy medium for the dog to remain at the breeder's place with the dam, along with its littermates as well. If the breeder isn't socializing the pups, extensively, for the entire time they are there regardless of how long that may be or how many pups there are, then I wouldn't consider them reputable nor dedicated enough for my taste.

Although there is the odd exception to the rule, of course, provided it is done under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I don't let my Shepherd puppies go until 10 weeks. Twelve if they are being shipped.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Most mastiff breeds are 8 to 12 weeks, with 10 weeks being common, but I do know of a lot of 8 weeks and actually got Mouse at 8 weeks.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
No younger than 8 weeks imo. My puppies (weims) are not leaving till 10, probably closer to 11-12 weeks.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I didn't get my AKK pup until he was 9 weeks. The papillon breeders I know keep them at least 10-12 weeks. With some breeds I'd be okay taking a pup home at 7 weeks, but that would be the absolute minimum and I'd rather wait until at least 8 weeks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts