Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

At the End of my Leash

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  katthevamp 
#1 ·
Everyone has seen this show, no? Well, for those of you who have, I have one question. On the show, Brad turns doggy nightmares into obedient muts over a span of two weeks. In the first week, the offending couple is usually slacking on their responsibility. Week 2 they step it up and at the end of it all, the dog is a behaved gentleman who will sit at the door, not jump up on anyone, etc, etc.

Is there anything that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about? I mean, if I could get Max to behave like that in a matter of 2 weeks, I'd be so there, but this Beagle just screams rebel. Like owner like dog...

So anyway, I was just curious if anyone had more insight?

#2 ·
hello, I have watched this show quite a few times and at first I really liked his no no nonsense and to the point attitude, however, I think he makes all the episodes a relationship issue like the wife and husband for example if their not getting along then the dog will misbehave and I feel like their are alot of relationships that are crap and yet they have a great dog:p also, he will not use ANY treats in his training, may work for some but I'm sure not ALL dogs. I feel like he likes the dogs to be more like robots and strip them of any personality they may have. Seems like a control freak and I can only imagine what he is like with his girlfriends, but this is just my opinion!! If he could cure my pup of play biting well then.......

#3 ·
Hey.. Augh I actually hate that guy. Cant stand him one bit. He annoys the heck out of me. He seems egotistical and yes a control freak. I find that he is pretty harsh with the dogs, and shows them no love or attention. He treats them like they have no personality. Plus I dont want to watch his trying to be a marraige counslor either. All in all he drives me up the wall

#5 ·
I endorse this post.

#4 ·
Haha, I do agree with some of the above. He may be a little controlling, but I do like his approach. Very similar to the NILIF technique described in this forum. Regardless, I often like how he deals with couples because a lot of the time it is a relationship issue. While his methods are harsh, a lot of these people do need to wake up.

But back to the point, anyone know if there is anything happening "behind the scenes" or can he truly turn these dogs into angels in a week?

#7 ·
I haven't seen this show, so I can't speak for what the guy is actually like, only the possibility of getting firm, consistent results within two weeks. I think there are a lot of variables involved, like how long the dog has had this problem, how old the dog is, how consistently the bad behaviour has been reinforced and of course the dog's intelligence. For a relatively young dog with a new problem, things can certainly be turned around in a couple of weeks if owners are 100% consistent. For a more senior dog who has been rehearsing this behaviour all his life, it may take longer.

#11 ·
DITTO.

On another forum quite some time ago, there was a thread about this guy, where they had discovered he's a fraud, and an unknown in the dog training world. Regardless, anyone who guarantees they can accomplish this and that with any dog in two weeks time is full of you know what.

#9 ·
I think the guy is an abusive control freak...
To be honest, I don't see how somebody could make a wonderless dog into a wonderful dog in 2 weeks either, at least not for good, permanent fix, unless the dog is young and smart, and the owners aren't too lazy to keep up with training. Kola just got done spendig 3 weeks with a man, and only with a man, and a strange one at that (as reccommended by a behaviorist). She still isn't as good as she could be, and will probably be going back for awhile.

#14 ·
It doesn't let me watch it because I'm not in Canada. >9.9< I managed to watch one episode on youtube called "Caught in the Crossfire" and it seemed kindof like he was dealing with the peoples' relationship more than training the dogs. In fact, I didn't see him give any instructions, and he supposedly came back a week later and the dogs were trained. WTF? Ok, what were the methods?

Fortunately, on youtube there are also video clips that people have recorded of his "training" seminars that show what methods he uses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzak397Ma8&feature=related
There are several videos like this. In one you can see the golden being "hanged" while he whines frantically. In another, you see him jerking the white dog around some before he hits it. I don't trust this guy. In "caught in the crossfire, he acted all anti-prong collar because it's "painful" but he's causing pain to all the dogs in the video. His actions during his training seminars speak louder to me than what he says on his show (especially since he didn't say all that much).

I'll keep my dogs away from this wacko.

#17 ·
It's bad enough some of the crap on Canadian tv, but this guy is a complete embarrassment. How did this goof get funding for this show - must have some money coming from the National Film Board or they're scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill the Canadian content quota. Ugh!!!!!

#18 ·
On the TV shows he never does what the youtube video shows. I'm actually quite surprised and a little shocked about that.

Now lets back this up a little. I'm going to play the devils advocate here and comment on something.

In the youtube video the first dog yelps, is it because hes in pain or is it because he didn't expect it.

Dogs often yelp when they aren't in pain, a defense mechanism.

ie., A friend of mine has a medium sized dog (sorry forget the breed). Regardless, the dog is always friendly, however, an incident happened with a child and a bone. The dog is never aggressive but that one time it growled when unknown child approached it. My friend immediately grabbed its snout, just enough to put a little pressure on but not nearly enough to cause pain or harm. The dog yelped, defense mechanism.

So could this be the same thing?

Though the hitting is just retarded, I can't even try to defend that for arguments sake.

#19 ·
Regardless of whether or not the dog yelped because it was in pain, he was still hanging it. If you take notice he holds it up far enough so that it's front feet can't touch the ground. I find hanging a dog even for a few seconds inhumane. I wouldn't let him near Upendi.

#21 ·
I never heard of this guy or saw him before. I am sad I did now. What an idiot. Smack a dog THEN give it a command. The only thing he is effectively teaching these dogs is fear and to NOT trust humans. It is shameful to see this abuse and watch the moron owners standing there watching him do that to their dogs and not stopping him. SHAMEFUL! This is dark ages training and not only not effective long term but absolutely a backward step for the dog and owner bond.

#23 ·
If you guys don't like that, go to thier forums. They're like an occult. The also don't endose alpha rolling, but the do endorse making the dog sit down and get up 25 X a night, and insist it must be done, even if the dog is biteing at you, struggling, or otherwise not doing well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.