Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Bandit a couple months ago. From the beginning he has been a little on the shy side but has really came out of his shell. Recently, for the past couple weeks, he has been submissive urinating a LOT. All I have to do is call his name, no matter what tone, and he lets it go. If I make any noise at all to get his attention he urinates. I can't train with him because all he does is pisses all over himself. He tipped over his water dish this morning and urinated all over the floor. Thing i don't understand is, he has never been abused or struck or anything more than told fooey in a stern voice when doing something he isn't supposed to be doing. What's odd about that, I can scream fooey at him when he's doing something and he just stops and looks at me and then goes about his business. It's only when I call him by name or make any indication for him to come to me that he urinates.

He does the head droop, tail tuck, back hunched posture and then urinates. That's what makes me think it's submissive. He is house trained 99%. Still the occasional accident that is our fault but it's a clear difference between that and this submissive issue. At this point, the house stinks and our carpet is pretty much ruined. I have a dog that I can't work with and can't even call to me and I have to have pretty limited contact with. It's kinda pointless in having a dog if I have to ignore him all the time.

I have been doing what I can to build confidence. I play with him when I can, tug of war and let him win, praise him for doing things good, avoid eye contact, avoid speaking to him, let him come to me instead of calling him...he is ok during those times but as soon as I speak to him or look at him it's all over. I'm very close to re-homing him because I am not sure how much longer I can deal with it. I also ignore the behavior when it happens, usually just take him out so he can empty out as much as possible.

Dog is a 7 month old Australian Cattle dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have you had him vet checked for a UTI? Even a small infection can make it harder for them to hold it, and if he is the slightest bit fearful, it can let loose the waterworks.
Also institute NILIF. It will help him develop confidence, and teaches him that certain actions get rewards, so he learns to know what to expect. It can reduce fear.
Plently of exercise will reduce anxiety, which can cause submissive urination. Make sure he is getting walked briskly at least 45 min each day, plus played with to tire him out. Training will help mentally tire him out which is just as important.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll look into NILIF and we have a vet appointment on Monday. I don't want to give up yet but it's getting pretty frustrating. He's a great dog...I really want it to work out.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Good luck! :) I have used the NILIF on some major issues and have had great results. It may just be a UTI and meds will take care of it. He sounds like a wonderful dog in all other aspects. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...I looked in to NILIF. Appears that I did that with my dog I lost over the summer and didn't even know it. It worked great with him. Problem with Bandit, as soon as I give him any command such as sit, come, lay down...he urinates. I try to counter this by doing things outside that that the peeing doesn't mess up the house, but it's still happening regardless of where. Perhaps if I continue it will kick in and start to work, hopefully it's something he will just grow out of. I actually am praying the poor little guy has a UTI that way at least part of the problem will be solved with some pills...lol

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You're pretty obviously frustrated---and if it comes across in text on a forum, it definitely comes across in your body language to the dog. He knows you're frustrated, so he tries to appease you. . .well, it works with other dogs. Humans, not so much. Maybe if you buy/make him a belly band so your carpets don't get ruined you won't be so frustrated.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Submissive urination can turn into a vicious circle. . .the more he pees, the more frustrated you get. The more frustrated you get, the more he pees. Something needs to break that cycle. I agree that a good, positive reinforcement based trainer could be a big help, or a veterinary behaviorist.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I agree with checking for a UTI, and if it is just submissive urination, talk with your vet about a short course of anti-anxiety meds. I can tell you are upset with him. I'm sure he can too. And it's not something he knows how to fix.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Work on teaching sit and come, outside in a happy tone. Try not using his name. I don't know if you changed his name when you got him, but often neglected/abused dogs can associate their name with something bad. If that's the case, you might consider changing it. If you can use hand signals when giving commands, you might be able to just kiss to him to get his attention, then use the hand signal and a high value treat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He was not named when I got him. I don't think he was abused at all. He came from very nice people with a number of other dogs that all had great dispositions. I have had Bandit for a couple months and this behavior just started about two weeks ago and I cannot think of anything that would have prompted it.

Kissing sounds even make him urinate. That's one of the super frustrating things...anything causes it. If I want him to come I have to sit on the floor and not look at him or say anything and he will come over and be just fine. If I am at my computer or sitting some where and I put my hand out and leave it without saying anything he will come with no issue. It's just as soon as I make a sound towards him. Now he is ok if I do one of the above and he comes, then I can talk to him without a problem, most of the time.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks...I looked over that and I am at least slightly relieved that this may be somewhat normal behavior that will be grown out of as long as I work with Bandit. I'm just glad to see it's probably nothing that I did to him to cause this even if I am not dealing with it the best though I an trying. Last two days have been pretty good.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
If the Vet does not find anything, I would be inclined to get a belly band for him temporarily. That way you can just ignore the peeing, you won't be getting frustrated and it will save your house from smelling of pee until you get the problem solved. The more he does it, the more frustrated you will get so the more he does it, it is a viscous circle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts