Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy is about 3.5 months old, perhaps closer to 4 months.

When we first got her, she was pretty much house broken, would not poo in the house, and when she pee'd it was on her puppy pads, as time goes on she's starting to go in the house more often, while still going outside.

She'll also poo in the girlfriend's car, and pee, despite having been outside for hours before the car ride!

:help:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to puppies!! :) I'm pretty sure there is a stick on this forum about potty training basics....need to start from scratch with this pup. Potty pads teach dogs that it is okay to go in the house, so not my favorite choice. How much freedom are you giving her? Is she on a feeding schedule? Lots of questions need to be answered before you get her under control. As far as the car? Very possible that this is nervous evacuation. Being outside prior would not help in that situation.Also question why is she outside for hours prior? Not a judgement, just asking. How much time is she actually inside? Are you putting her out knowing she is going to be in the car?? If you really want her trained you need to try and be present every time she goes, so you can reinforce her. Leaving her outside alone teaches her nothing. You need to rethink how you manage her....just until you can get her through this stage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to answer these questions in order, sorry if my ADHD has the best of me, at the moment.

I'll get rid of the puppy pads tomorrow, that does make a lot of sense as to it teaching her to go inside, and not outside.

She does not have much freedom at all, we normally put her outside, when we are also outside however today, and yesterday she was having a lot of fun with the room mates dog, Buddy other then that she's inside with us, and normally confined to our bedroom, as it's where we spend the most of our time.

She has food, and water at all times, but I'm going to be getting her on a better feeding schedule, to where it's "You have # minutes to eat, before I take it away" sort of deal, once I am able to find more information on this, I've also been a bit more curious with "NILIF" technique.

I won't lie, she was very nervous with the car ride at first however with time, she's gotten a lot better or so it seems, she lays down and does not cry, even let's Shannon and I have the front seat to herself, due to the fact that we have been giving her a treat each time she enters the car, and gets in the back.

We don't take her outside knowing, that she'll be taking for a car ride especially in today's case, we just decided to drive down to the mailbox and back (about a quarter mile, away.)

About a half an hour ago, she did let me know she had to use the bathroom, and I had taken her outside she went pee, so I pet her and made a huge deal out of the whole ordeal, she seemed really pleased with herself, however this does not really seem to be working all that great due to the fact that, there is very rarely an indication, that she has to even go to the bathroom.

I guess the reason I had posted this, in it's own thread was I see her going backwards in the potty training progress, rather then forwards.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
also - a good thing to know is that puppies cannot control their own bladders yet. A very general rule of thumb to follow is that a puppy can hold the excrement (pee/poop) for every hour that they are old. So you have an almost 4 month old puppy that in theory should be able to hold it for about we'll say 3 and a half hours (this also depends on the size of the dog. Smaller dogs will obviously have to go out much more often than the rule implies). When my puppy was 4 months old I was taking her out ever 2 hours - just to give you an idea :). I did that to make sure that there was no accidents in the house. She's now going on 10 months and we haven't had an accident in the house since she was 4 months. And the accident was no fault of hers - it was my own.

You had been training her to pee on pads in the house - so going potty outside is completely new and it will take time for her to learn to give a signal that she has to go out. Also, she might be giving you a signal that she has to go out - but you might be misinterpreting it as something else. Some dogs give very very tiny indications. If she starts sniffing a lot that's a pretty good sign she has to go out :). You could also teach her to ring a bell when she has to go out - might be easier for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see pictures of her, if you would like too! Check out "Another, what breed am I" by viewing the threads that I have started! :)
I'll also start bringing her outside every two hours to be on the safe side, and comment back to let you know how her progress is doing.

How would one go about teaching her to ring a bell?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm quite fortunate in the fact that I have a pretty obnoxious dog when it comes to letting me know when she has to go out!

I've never trained a dog to ring a bell - Maybe someone else can chime in or! A better way to get some insight on how to do it might be to make a post asking how to teach the behavior! :D (I'll also go try and find that post with pictures :D I like pictures!)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
If it were me and my situation I would work on outside potty training from the very beginning just like she is a brand new pup. Something must have made her back track? Are the puppy pads only available in her crate? ... or in the house elsewhere? Seems she is confused, IMO.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I never met a dog who was reliably housebroken at 3 1/2 months. Four months, maybe 17 weeks. I guess 16 weeks is possible. I think you're almost there, but don't stop just yet. Continue to monitor her 100% of the time while she's inside. If there's only one, maybe two places where she's going, block off her access to those areas for a few days.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got rid of the puppy pads today, and she's yet to go to the bathroom inside at all today then again we are taken her out more often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts