Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the ASPCA Pet Insurance for my new pup (a rescued mutt) on the basis of a) the brand - ASPCA and b) price/payout.

I selected the policy mostly for "disaster" type insurance, not everyday "wellness" reimbursement.

One would figure that since the ASPCA promotes as one of its top missions is animal Neuter/Spaying, to control the animal population, that would be evident to some level in their branded insurance product.

Surprise - unless you pay for level 3 or 4 which is, in my opinion, way to expensive, especially if you want some type of reimbursement for the procedure (around me Vets get about $350, I paid about $190 with chipping him at the North Shore Animal League), the return on investment would take about 3 years.

Absurd. Now, I'm not saying they (ASPCA Pet Insurance) should pay any particular amount at lower levels, but they should pay you something for being a good pet owner and following the mission mandates of the ASPCA.

They pay nothing, not even a farthing! How sad, how pathetic, how unconscionable!

When called on the carpet they argue that "no one else does it". ASPCA, the other insurance companies AREN'T the ASPCA!

If you do a Google search on "ASPCA PET INSURANCE COMPLAINTS" you see pages of them...

A word to the wise; don't buy ASPCA PET INSURANCE based on the fact that it is branded with the ASPCA name, do your research...

A closing interesting factoid: in their recent IRS 990 (tax return) they don't list how much money they get from their Pet Insurance program and take a look what the CEO of the ASPCA gets paid (both in comparison to the other top officers and the fact that it is a Non-Profit). If this was a for-profit organization, I'd have no complaint with his compensation.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I have plenty of issues with the ASPCA most of them financial - but I don't see anything wrong with this. A 'disaster' policy shouldn't cover an elective procedure. What you're looking for isn't insurance (a payout for a low-probability, high-cost event where the risk is spread out over a large pool), it's a straight subsidy on spay/neuter. The two are completely separate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Why wouldn't you buy a higher level of insureance for the first year, when you need to do lots of routine, but expensive things like spay/neuter and microchipping and then cut back to "disaster" coverage?

This was my plan when I signed up for VPI, unfortunately I didn't realize that there was a two week lag between enrollment and effective policy date, so the timing didn't work out for me. Mercy was already spayed in Rescue, so it was mostly the cost of her microchip that I was hoping to defray.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hold on, let me be sure I understand....You selected an insurance policy that doesn't cover a procedure you were planning, and now you're complaining cause it's not covered?

Do you really think the ASPCA "should pay you something for being a good pet owner?" That would not help them meet their fundraising goals.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You selected the wrong policy, plain and simple, that is NOT the ASPCA's fault and they have no liablity for your mistake. You should hve read the policy before purchasing to be sure it would cover the expenses you wanted covered.

I personally don't do 'Pet Insurance', instead I put that money into a savings account, in the long run you come out better if there is an emergency. As far as the routine stuff like shots, Spay/nueter, heartworm preventive and deworming I figure that into my budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts