Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be a dumb question, but I am looking to get a puppy in a little over a year from now. I don't necessarily need to go to a reputable breeder because it will be a companion dog most likely, and I'm staying away from BYBs. However, I do want either a border collie, brittany, or vizsla.

I'll be keeping my eye on petfinder and other shelter websites, but I was wondering if its common to ask a rescue to contact you if they receive any puppies or younger dogs? It does seem like more work for them, but I won't be checking their websites every day to know if any new dogs are in.

Or if anyone else has any thoughts, if there are any "alert systems" for new pups entering the rescue system!

Thanks

ETA: I realized that saying "don't need to go to a reputable breeder" might set off alarms :p
basically my preference for acquiring my dog will be
1. Through a rescue/shelter
2. Reputable Breeder (second option)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure about your question, but I'm sure as long as they know you are 100% serious about getting a dog they might make an attempt to let you know. But may I suggest also looking at older dogs? Most people don't adopt them because they want that cute puppy factor, but then are surprised that the puppy isn't a cute fur ball that does everything you want and never does anything wrong. Dogs over the age of one are put down all the time because people won't even look at them. I'm not saying looking at puppies is a bad thing or that I'm trying to put you down or anything like that...but at least think about dogs of a different age? I bought a puppy, then adopted a dog a year old...and I must say, I would also choose an older dog over a puppy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input! I do realize that puppies are a lot of work and that the work outweighs their good qualities in a lot of respects--they are like little terrorists haha. I would consider getting an older dog, it isn't out of the question but I'd prefer a puppy mainly because a year from now I won't have very many responsibilities aside from taking care of myself and will have the time to train it/be with it... and don't see that window of time for that opening up any time soon after that. Personal reasons I guess! My family got a puppy when I was a kid, the dog is 12 now, but my most vivid memories of my dog are it chewing/destroying our carpets and peeing in the kitchen, LOL! Anyway, perhaps I am idealizing puppyhood but I do know that they require a ton of work and can be destructive if left alone.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
What is your reason for waiting a year? You could contact your local breed rescue group in your area and help out. This would not only let you get to know the rescue but they could get to know you. I would not doubt by doing this, that a dog will end up picking you.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you want a purebred rescue, then you definitely should contact the local/regional rescue groups for the breeds you're interested in as soon as you can, ESPECIALLY since you want a puppy or young dog. At least in my area, puppies don't come through those rescues very often, so it can take some time on a waiting list and you might as well get to know the people now. I agree with what luv mi pets said. I know a guy who was on the Springer Spaniel waiting list for almost a year waiting for a puppy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I think I should do that also! The only problem is in a few months, I'll be backpacking around Europe for ~8 months, but I could definitely volunteer until then!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a purebred rescue, then you definitely should contact the local/regional rescue groups for the breeds you're interested in as soon as you can, ESPECIALLY since you want a puppy or young dog. At least in my area, puppies don't come through those rescues very often, so it can take some time on a waiting list and you might as well get to know the people now. I agree with what luv mi pets said. I know a guy who was on the Springer Spaniel waiting list for almost a year waiting for a puppy!
Oh wow! I had no idea the waiting lists are so long! Thank you for your advice, definitely taking it!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The rescue I volunteer for will IF you have already been approved. They take the application, approve it, and allow the person to wait for the right dog.

I'm sure there are breed specific rescues in your area? I live in a average size city and we have a Border Collie rescue in an even smaller town.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i to am in the same boat as you, just lost my old dog Izze & last time i rescued a pup, tho she was a good puppy she was a lot of work, i am no fool & am NOT keen on repeating that

i also have a related question that might help the OP also: i was wonderingg if it would be too prudent of me to ask the rescues to notify me if any of the shelters came in with the breed of dog im looking for (collie or mix) would that be ok? but i assume that i should be patient, i havew filled out the application & im waiting for my former vet to get their fax machine fixed so they can fax ther records for my dogs to the rescue, thats really all thats holding me up i suppose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts