Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
As a newbie in dog keeping and i need more information from more experience friends here. So i have an issue that most newbie facing in keeping dog for the first time.
Right now, im feeding her Acana classic LB, and i feel my dogs is not react good with this premium brand since i already tried other Acana line up.
First i want to know some review from members here that may be already use for his/her dogs about :
1. Sam's Field, this brand is not so popular i think, and it is made in Czec.
2. Pro Pac.
3. Canidae.
4. Avoderm.
Yes we have a lot brand but most of them are a crappy brand or crappy ingredient.
Here in Indonesia, i think Acana is the most expensive brand, and recently i just find Canidae in one store and the price is so shocking, which is even a bit pricier compare to acana. What do you think, is canidae worth that price?
As for Sam's field, pro pac and avoderm, the price is cheaper compare to acana but with sam's and pro pac i can get a grain free kibble.

Starting a fews days ago i tried to mix a kibble with raw chicken feet, i give about 4 chicken feed a day, the other day chicken liver 2 pcs, so i just mix the raw with kibble like that.
Question is, is that cause trouble mixing kibble with raw in the same time?
Or should i give her raw maybe 2-3 hours after her breakfast in the morning? her breakfast is 7 am.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Please tell us a bit more about your dog. What breed, how old? WHat problems have you seen (you say not react good . . .what does this mean).
Many dogs will tolerate and thrive on a wide variety of foods
I don't know what you mean by crappy brand or crappy ingredient. I know dogs who have lived beyond 20 years of age on diets comprised of cheap supermarket dog food (generally Purina or some other big food company) plus various table scraps. A lot of people are down on, say, corn. Maybe it's not the ideal food, but a lot of dogs do well on foods that contain a lot of corn.

Not familiar with any of the foods you list. And there's no guarantee that the product marketed in your area is the same as that marketed in the US or Europe.

Chicken feet are not a familiar option for most of us in the 'west'. Liver can be good, as it's packed with nutrients, but also bad, as it is an organ that tends to accumulate toxins if an animal is fed from various and mixed foods. My dogs have always enjoyed an occasional raw egg. A chicken carcass is pretty nutritious. For a small dog you may have to cut it up a bit. I'd guess the meat cleaver is widely available in Indonesia . . . .great tool for preparing poultry bones.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
I use Pro Pac a lot. Its from a company with a good track record for manufacturing safety, the dogs do well on it and its affordable. I checked their international website and it looks like the same ingredients and make-up as the US food, although a smaller selection of formulas.

Chicken feet are good snacks or treats, they are a natural source of glucosamine, but 4 every day might be a bit much for a medium or small dog. A little bit of liver is good, a lot of liver is not so good. If your dog is fine eating both kibble and raw together, then its fine to feed together.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Most kibble has too much calcium in it already. How large is your dog? 14 pound Ginger is raw fed and a single chicken foot is too much calcium for one day, I'd be giving her 3-4 a week for a full raw diet and 1-2 a week if she was fed half raw half kibble.

Chicken feet are easily found in ethnic markets here but aren't particularly cheap. My dogs adore them. If they grab them just right the toes will curl!

I'd say go for it if it agrees with your dog's gut. Some dogs do great and some don't with a mixed diet. Fresh food enhances any kind of kibble so don't be too worried about the lousy kinds you find. Feed liver at the same rate as the chicken feet though, a raw diet is mostly meat with a little bone and a little organ. More liver isn't better!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If by "not react good" you mean the stools are loose, you may be feeding too much food for your particular dog. Often when people say their dogs "do not do well" with Acana products feeding less, at least until the dog adjusts, can help. Try leaving cutting back on the food by about 25% or even a little more (the dog won't starve) and until the dog is "regular." Do not add anything to the kibble. You can add a little water to make "gravy" to the dry food if that makes it more appetizing. Feed twice a day and pick the food up after ten minutes if the dog hasn't eaten it. If the food was moistened, throw it out and feed fresh food later in the day.

As a new dog owner with a new dog you really want to Keep It Simple. Feeding less of the Acana is much more likely to work for you than switching foods. When it comes to mixing raw with kibble the guideline tends to be not to mix raw meaty bones with dry food because they digest at very different rates. Commercial raw, canned, a little liver or your chicken feet will probably not be a problem but before you add anything at all to the kibble you need to establish a base line of good regular digestion. As has been mentioned it is very easy to feed too much liver.

If feeding less Acana works you can gradually work up to the amount recommended on the bag. Stick with that for a good while so that if you gradually add other foods you'll know exactly what the problem is if something goes wrong. If you decide you can't afford Acana or if feeding less for a couple of weeks doesn't work, as a previous poster suggested, tell us more about your dog and what is available where you live.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell us a bit more about your dog. What breed, how old? WHat problems have you seen (you say not react good . . .what does this mean).
Many dogs will tolerate and thrive on a wide variety of foods
I don't know what you mean by crappy brand or crappy ingredient. I know dogs who have lived beyond 20 years of age on diets comprised of cheap supermarket dog food (generally Purina or some other big food company) plus various table scraps. A lot of people are down on, say, corn. Maybe it's not the ideal food, but a lot of dogs do well on foods that contain a lot of corn.

Not familiar with any of the foods you list. And there's no guarantee that the product marketed in your area is the same as that marketed in the US or Europe.

Chicken feet are not a familiar option for most of us in the 'west'. Liver can be good, as it's packed with nutrients, but also bad, as it is an organ that tends to accumulate toxins if an animal is fed from various and mixed foods. My dogs have always enjoyed an occasional raw egg. A chicken carcass is pretty nutritious. For a small dog you may have to cut it up a bit. I'd guess the meat cleaver is widely available in Indonesia . . . .great tool for preparing poultry bones.
Dear Sandgrubber, thank you for the reply, and sorry for not explaining more detail. So my dogs is a sammoyed and now she is 13 months old. About what she is not react good, is i have problem with stool. I mean, i've tried some brand and various taste. And ofcourse i tried to give the best for my dogs so finally i came up with acana (here in Indonesia this is very expensive DF), but i look that when on acana, her stool is lots and will poop mostly 4 times a day, with stool no 1 and 2 is firm and stool no 3-4 usually very soft at the end. So yesterday i tried to look at the ingredient from acana and avoderm (which my dogs i think suit with), and acana consist of higher protein up to 30%+ whereas avo only 20%+. So is higher protein also makes soft stool and lots stool?

As for crappy brand or crappy ingredient, i only based on dogfoodadvisor which 1 and 2 star consider a not recommend for dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If by "not react good" you mean the stools are loose, you may be feeding too much food for your particular dog. Often when people say their dogs "do not do well" with Acana products feeding less, at least until the dog adjusts, can help. Try leaving cutting back on the food by about 25% or even a little more (the dog won't starve) and until the dog is "regular." ..................
Yes, what i suspect is her stool is usally soft, bigger in size and more poop also. She is a sammoyed with only around 11-12 kg now and she is spayed, she is eating only 1 cup 8 oz a day that i split 2. As i suspect my dog body according to me she is not in underweight, she is active as a dog house because she is mostly spend her time inside house except for poop and pee. Sometimes when we have time, we bring her outside for a walk for maybe 20 minutes but that maybe only 1-2 times a weeks since we both are working, so during working hour my dogs are watch by my maid and my daughter. So that why, i want to search the good kibble for my dog, because i dont want to makes my maid busy just to deal with my dog poop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts