Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
As far as color variations go..brindle pretty much runs the spectrum as well as APBT coat color variations run the spectrum...Everything is acceptable except merle....merle is not an APBT trait and likely indicates a APBT/Catahoula cross...and some people I talk to frown on excessive white...but I think most of them were AmStaff folks....

just curious...if you don't mind me asking a question of my own..

Why do you want a brindle pit bull?
Oh okay. So you can pretty much get a brindle pit in every color they come in.

Well I really love brindle dogs in general. They're gorgeous and different. I love pit bulls and I'm going to rescue one as soon as I am able to so I doubt I'll have much of a pick on what color I get but it will def be brindle and I'm hoping for a chocolate brindle but I would honestly take any color. :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Remember when you do get your rescue make sure to post plenty of pics, especially if it is brindle!

Der I forgot chocolate brindle red nose :eek:, got that too. dark and light both.

I think as long as you pick the right dog that is the color you like then there isn't a problem. If you just pick off color then that could be a problem. There are plenty of brindle Pits in rescues and shelters.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Oh okay. So you can pretty much get a brindle pit in every color they come in.

Well I really love brindle dogs in general. They're gorgeous and different. I love pit bulls and I'm going to rescue one as soon as I am able to so I doubt I'll have much of a pick on what color I get but it will def be brindle and I'm hoping for a chocolate brindle but I would honestly take any color. :)
Didn't mean to be prying but whenever I hear "I want a <insert coat color/pattern> pit bull I can't can't help but question it...Because too many times I've asked that question and the answer was either

a. because I want to breed it to a <insert coat color> pit bull.

or

b. <insert coat color> pit bulls are bigger/stronger/faster blah blah blah..

I like answer C...that just being personal preference..:) Everytime I get answer C I smile in relief...

thanks for the smile...tis been a rough day...

(ps. BRINDLES RULE. :D)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Remember when you do get your rescue make sure to post plenty of pics, especially if it is brindle!

Der I forgot chocolate brindle red nose :eek:, got that too. dark and light both.

I think as long as you pick the right dog that is the color you like then there isn't a problem. If you just pick off color then that could be a problem. There are plenty of brindle Pits in rescues and shelters.
I will probably end up posting a ton of pics haha. It won't be for a while now but hopefully by summer I will have my new pit bull puppy or doggie. I really havn't figured out which yet. I'm stuck between getting a puppy because I want to be able to raise it and train it myself or getting a older dog that is known to be good with other dogs.

Which reminds me of a couple questions. Does anyone have a small dog and a pit? I've read that pits don't show signs of DA till about age 2, is that right?

I have a mini poodle and my biggest concern is that when/if I get a pit bull puppy it will be fine with my dog when it's younger but once it gets older it'll start showing signs of DA and just out of no where bite my poodle Pepper. I think my dog has a slim chance of surviving a bite from a bigger dog. He's a little thing. He's tougher then he looks but I don't think getting bit by a bigger dog would be something he could survive.

That's my biggest and pretty much my only concern with getting a pit bull puppy. Then again it could be the same with an older dog. I know pit bulls are DA and I'm fine with that and I'm sure I'll be able to handle it. I'd just feel a lot more confortable with it if I had a bigger dog that could handle being bit if something as bad as that did ever happen.

So I need some stories of pits with small dogs to help me. :)

Didn't mean to be prying but whenever I hear "I want a <insert coat color/pattern> pit bull I can't can't help but question it...Because too many times I've asked that question and the answer was either

a. because I want to breed it to a <insert coat color> pit bull.

or

b. <insert coat color> pit bulls are bigger/stronger/faster blah blah blah..

I like answer C...that just being personal preference..:) Everytime I get answer C I smile in relief...

thanks for the smile...tis been a rough day...

(ps. BRINDLES RULE. :D)
Haha your welcome. I can't believe people actually think coat color has anything to do with being bigger, stronger, faster esc. That's so strange. I feel bad for the dogs that end up with people like that.

Aww. Such a cutie.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I will probably end up posting a ton of pics haha. It won't be for a while now but hopefully by summer I will have my new pit bull puppy or doggie. I really havn't figured out which yet. I'm stuck between getting a puppy because I want to be able to raise it and train it myself or getting a older dog that is known to be good with other dogs.

Which reminds me of a couple questions. Does anyone have a small dog and a pit? I've read that pits don't show signs of DA till about age 2, is that right?

I have a mini poodle and my biggest concern is that when/if I get a pit bull puppy it will be fine with my dog when it's younger but once it gets older it'll start showing signs of DA and just out of no where bite my poodle Pepper. I think my dog has a slim chance of surviving a bite from a bigger dog. He's a little thing. He's tougher then he looks but I don't think getting bit by a bigger dog would be something he could survive.

That's my biggest and pretty much my only concern with getting a pit bull puppy. Then again it could be the same with an older dog. I know pit bulls are DA and I'm fine with that and I'm sure I'll be able to handle it. I'd just feel a lot more confortable with it if I had a bigger dog that could handle being bit if something as bad as that did ever happen.

Haha your welcome. I can't believe people actually think coat color has anything to do with being bigger, stronger, faster esc. That's so strange. I feel bad for the dogs that end up with people like that.

Aww. Such a cutie.

Small dogs as in 2 pugs and a boston?....LOL:D

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I've had small dog and Pits in the past and I know many people who do currently. I understand the risk of an attack were to happen, even from another medium + size dog it could be bad.

No they can show aggression at any age, some start much younger then 2yrs and others are 3 or 4yrs (or older of course). Typically speaking many might start showing at that time because it is around the age of maturity. Where as a pups mature temperament isn't known yet.

I'd go with an older dog who is good around other dogs. The main concern would be a fight to happen even if the other dog isn't DA. So you always want to supervise them.

So I need some stories of pits with small dogs to help me. :)[/QUOTE]

A pup may or may not. It could grow up with your dog and be great or it might not work well. Even if you get an older dog your dogs could one day get upset with each other so to speak. Like you mentioned.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

dog aggression....the bat eared crazy lady in the photo is violently dog aggressive.

So here is the thing about a DA pit bull ....they can and do live with other dogs.

But if its going to work there are some pretty basic rules I would recommend whether your pit is DA or not. The key is to be proactive and prevent problems from arising.

a. buy a breakstick. you used to be able to get them from www.pbrc.net possibly you still can...familiarize with how to use it. pull it out and do practice runs with it when your dog has got hold of a toy...

b. Never leave your pit unsupervised with other dogs. Separate and contain them when you leave. If you crate then crate them in separate rooms with closed doors between them.

c. If your pit gets into it with another dog once...they are more likely to do it again...making dog parks not the best idea...if your dog gets in a fight at the DP then they may come home and go for your other dog simply because they are all hyped about the first fight.

d. Don't leave high value items laying around. toys, chews etc only with supervision or while completely separated.

e. make sure to spend one on one time with each dog. you yourself can be viewed as a high value resource..so make sure they know you are not being withheld from them.

How is your current dog with other dogs?

Owning a pit bull will force your to cross paths with some of the crazier people on this planet. Be prepared to be at times shunned, ridiculed, feared, taunted, threatened, offered money to breed, begged for puppies etc etc etc...just...be prepared for it...it may not happen often depending on where you are but it will happen.

a few other tips

Never EVER leave your pit unattended in any public situation. They are stolen often and easily.

www.stopbsl.com keep yourself appraised of bsl updates...if its coming to a town near you it would be best to have at least some early warning...

Aww. Such a cutie.
Shes my lovey. :D thanks..

and she does get along with one extremely hyperactive Rat Terrier..

I think it depends with a small dog...if they are a very fearful small dog I wouldn't recommend a pit....

·
Registered
198 Posts
see below... BUT i never ever, ever leave them alone together. ever, ever. they are in love (the first two-the third is only in love with me) and they play and play and play. roxy will lay down on her back and let dafne chew/shake her feet it is quite adorable.

with two terriers, you have to know when to say enough (especially very different sized terriers and especially with two female terriers). i can tell when it might be a little over the line and we take a break- but that's terriers i don't know if it's different with poodles. with balls and squirrells we have to be careful because the lines can get a little blurry, it's all about what you're willing to do and willing to manage. i run them separately and train them separately.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Small dogs as in 2 pugs and a boston?....LOL:D
Lol. They all get along good?

No they can show aggression at any age, some start much younger then 2yrs and others are 3 or 4yrs (or older of course). Typically speaking many might start showing at that time because it is around the age of maturity. Where as a pups mature temperament isn't known yet.
Oh okay. That's what I read, that the temperament in pits doesn't show up around two because that's when they mature and would start showing signs of being DA.

I'd go with an older dog who is good around other dogs. The main concern would be a fight to happen even if the other dog isn't DA. So you always want to supervise them.
Yeah I've been thinking about it a lot. I'm thinking at least for my first PB I'm going to get an older dog. I'm still not sure though. Getting a puppy is just so tempting.

A pup may or may not. It could grow up with your dog and be great or it might not work well. Even if you get an older dog your dogs could one day get upset with each other so to speak. Like you mentioned.
Yeah I guess it's just one of those things were I have to hope for the best but be prepared if things don't work out the way I want them to. If it comes down to it and I have to keep them seperate then that's just how it's gonna have to be.

dog aggression....the bat eared crazy lady in the photo is violently dog aggressive.

So here is the thing about a DA pit bull ....they can and do live with other dogs.

But if its going to work there are some pretty basic rules I would recommend whether your pit is DA or not. The key is to be proactive and prevent problems from arising.

a. buy a breakstick. you used to be able to get them from www.pbrc.net possibly you still can...familiarize with how to use it. pull it out and do practice runs with it when your dog has got hold of a toy...
Yeah I'll def be getting one of those. I've read that when a fight happens though, it's so quick. So I've been reading about the best ways to break up a fight, which I hope I never have to do, just incase I don't have time to get to the breakstick.

b. Never leave your pit unsupervised with other dogs. Separate and contain them when you leave. If you crate then crate them in separate rooms with closed doors between them.

c. If your pit gets into it with another dog once...they are more likely to do it again...making dog parks not the best idea...if your dog gets in a fight at the DP then they may come home and go for your other dog simply because they are all hyped about the first fight.
I don't think I'm ever going to go to a DP when there are dogs there lol. I wouldn't trust it. Even if my dog wasn't DA I don't know how other dogs are going to be acting.

d. Don't leave high value items laying around. toys, chews etc only with supervision or while completely separated.

e. make sure to spend one on one time with each dog. you yourself can be viewed as a high value resource..so make sure they know you are not being withheld from them.
Aw ofcourse I wouldn't want any of my dogs to get jealous and feel unloved.

How is your current dog with other dogs?
He's usually fine with other dogs. He's territorial. A puppy tried walking into the house and he growled at it and another puppy that was a little bit bigger then him was jumping at him and trying to play and he flipped out and started growling and showing his teeth. That was the only time I've ever seen him like that with other dogs though. He pretty much only gives warnings and that's only ever been with puppies.

Owning a pit bull will force your to cross paths with some of the crazier people on this planet. Be prepared to be at times shunned, ridiculed, feared, taunted, threatened, offered money to breed, begged for puppies etc etc etc...just...be prepared for it...it may not happen often depending on where you are but it will happen.

a few other tips

Never EVER leave your pit unattended in any public situation. They are stolen often and easily.

www.stopbsl.com keep yourself appraised of bsl updates...if its coming to a town near you it would be best to have at least some early warning...
The joys of owning a PB lol. I'll try to be prepared. I'll have to learn to not get mad at every idiot who has something to say.
I was just reading about how someone had their pit stolen right out of it's crate in their house. I can't believe how crazy some people can be to just go into someones house. They walked right pass a couple other pits just to get the one because it was about to go into heat. :( Poor dog.
I'm planning on moving to NC soon and I think that has to be my biggest fear. My sister had her brindle pit stolen and she thinks it was the guy living next door. He litterally came over to her and started talking about how he fights dogs. Then her dog went missing. He was such a sweet beautiful dog. It makes me so mad :mad:. Well anyways she lives in NC and I think there's a lot of fighting down there.

Shes my lovey. :D thanks..

and she does get along with one extremely hyperactive Rat Terrier..

I think it depends with a small dog...if they are a very fearful small dog I wouldn't recommend a pit....
Pepper's not fearful. I think he's submissive Whenever I go over to pick him up or anything he always rolls over onto his back. Then again I think he just likes getting his belly rubbed lol.

see below... BUT i never ever, ever leave them alone together. ever, ever. they are in love (the first two-the third is only in love with me) and they play and play and play. roxy will lay down on her back and let dafne chew/shake her feet it is quite adorable.
Haha that's cute. She's probably her favorite chew toy.

with two terriers, you have to know when to say enough (especially very different sized terriers and especially with two female terriers). i can tell when it might be a little over the line and we take a break- but that's terriers i don't know if it's different with poodles. with balls and squirrells we have to be careful because the lines can get a little blurry, it's all about what you're willing to do and willing to manage. i run them separately and train them separately.
Pepper is really high energy. So if anything I think he just might annoy the hell out of another dog.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This is all very interesting, so I have another question for you bully people. Just out of curiosity, what is it that attracts people to pit bulls? Because it seems like an awful lot of work, keeping them separated, always watching for aggression, being ready to break up a fight (and having special tools at the ready), and dealing with thugs wanting to steal your dog?

People say they are loving and wonderful pets, but so are my dogs, I am madly enthusastic about what incredible wonderful dogs eskies are (though I don't recommend them for everyone, and I wouldn't want them to get popular anyway because that's never good for the breed), and they don't come with all that other baggage.

What is it about pit bulls that makes you want to put yourself through so much trouble to have one?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I can only speak for my self but my reasons are

1. They are great with kids
2. Awesome personality
3. I like there look...short coat/low maintenance/ athletic/cute ears...etc...
4. Medium size..not too big/not too small :)
5. Intelligence
6. great at doggie sports
7. Energy level...can go go go outside but also can be a lazy bum inside and snuggle all day

I will add more as I think of them...thats what I have now... (Before my coffee)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would love to have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They don't seem as popular as many of the other bully breeds. Is there a reason for this? I like their shorter stocky appearance as well as their reputation as the nanny dog.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
What is it about pit bulls that makes you want to put yourself through so much trouble to have one?

That's actually a complicated question for me lol..

There is no dog IMO that matches the intensity of a pit bull in any way. They throw every fiber of their being into what they do.

I just smiled at Bolo for no reason and told her she was a good girl for no reason. She immediately did a backflip off the bed, ran up and down the stairs for a few minutes and is now dancing in wild circles around the room picking up her toy and tossing it in the air....simply because I smiled at her and said Bolo you are a good girl.

I've seen that dog get happy about something and start racing around at top speed with such wild reckless joy that she forgot the house was there, ran smack into it and knocked herself on the ground...stood up...shook herself off and did it again...including the knocking herself over bit...

when we train she has the demenor of the kind of cowboy soldier you see in movies all "WOOOO BABY I KNOCKED THAT ONE RIGHT OUT YEAH MAMA'S GETTING JERKY TONIGHT!" every muscle is so tense she shivers, attention riveted on what she is attempting to accomplish and yet she retains this humerous element about it...like breaking out the big floppy tongued bully smile at odd moments...

When she is faced with a strange dog...and she has that reaction that she can't control and knows I don't like...she will stick her head between my legs or bury her face on me shaking and whining..trying to erase the other dog from view so she can be good and get to play..she doesn't want to do what I don't want her to do...successful encounters with other dogs leave her panting like she just got done running a marathon because its a monumental effort for her to control that urge...but she does...because I asked her to..it just took me a long time to figure out how to make her understand what I was asking of her..

Her mama instincts are just as intense...she..a sterilized dog...lactates when presented with an unhappy baby mammal of pretty much any species...when my son was newborn..sometimes I would lay him on the floor for tummytime..twist round t grab the wipes or whatever and turn back to find her trying to encourage him to nurse...she has adopted and raised several orphan kittens...

She also saved my son's life. he had been home for one month. I fed him his bottle and put him down for a nap. I grabbed the baby monitor and dashed for the bathroom. bolo was snoozing in the hall at that point..as I was leisurely washing my hands and contemplating a shower Bolo burst into the bathroom in a frenzy of whining, biting on my pants leg and trying to drag me out of the room. this was really unusual behavior for her so I followed her mad dash which led to her kicking and pounding on the baby's room door. I went in to find my son had spit up through both his nose and mouth and was blue in the face..not breathing. I hadn't heard a thing on the monitor... and if she hadn't came and got me...I would have taken a nice shower and come back to find a dead son. For that...there is pretty much not a damn thing in my power I wouldn't do for her...

but even without that one thing...all the rest applies...plus a lot more...

my childhood companion and comforter...was a pit bull...

if I was a dog I would be a pit. see Inga's thread on why we choose the breeds we do..

yeah...that was a complicated question...lol...and it took an hour to try and concisely answer...and bolo is still spinning in circles like a crazy thing lol...I think I will go take her for a walk...

I would love to have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They don't seem as popular as many of the other bully breeds. Is there a reason for this? I like their shorter stocky appearance as well as their reputation as the nanny dog.
I don't know if they are actually less popular...many people think SBT are APBT..because they simply don't know...so you may hear about the actions of an SBT but they may be contributed to an APBT...course that's only one scenario....

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I don't have a Pit but my Abs have some similar traits and my older AB Kramer was left alone like many time in the kitchen with me home with the Frenchie. He had always been a gentle big boy with all dogs large and small except for today he went after the little one. He had him pinned in his mouth when I came around the corned on the floor, I don't know what led up to it but I do know when I am at home they are not alone in the same room together anymore. The rule was they were never left alone when I was not at home but now seeing he could of been killed so easy its an anytime rule.

·
Registered
760 Posts

Well I can only speak from my point of few but I have been raised around nothing but APBT's from the time I was born well we had had a husky and cockerspaniel and a GSD at one time or another but there was always atleast 1 APBT in our home at all times. The APBT's in our family were always like having a nanny around we could ride them and use them as pillows to take a nap with and when outside playing they were always right with us on guard protecting us. they were the best dress up barbie dolls I ever had lol they let me do what ever I wanted to them and just kept that famous bully smile the whole time! None of the other breeds we owned would do all that they just didn't want to be messed with I guess but I'm not saying the above breeds are all like that just ours. Anyhow I will never own any other breed of dog to me their personality and willingness to make us happy in unmatched!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Because of the media and thier percieved reputation, I think this breed takes more responsibility to own than most...although...I think if ALL dog owners of any breed took the precautions that experienced "bulldog owners" take, we would all benefit. I definitley do not think these dogs are for everybody own. They absolutely are not the dogs that just anyone should breed.

The draw for me is the build, strength and drive coupled with the beauty, gentleness and calmness. It is a very wierd combination of seemingly contradicting traits that makes them a challenge and joy at the same time. They are escape artists AND couch potatoes as an example.

My mantra has always been that it is MY DUTY to protect Diesel from getting into any trouble...ie bad circumstances. He is not here to protect me; in fact, the opposite is true. I am here to protect him...Bulldogs don't get a second chance if they make a mistake. Just the way it is...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What ideas would you (Pitbull owners) have for solving the problems related with the breed? The problems I am referring to are over population, dogs in the wrong hands, bites/attacks involving the breed, public perception. I think we could all agree that it has gotten to be an epidemic. Pitbulls are flooding the shelters all across the states, they are more difficult to place because many people fear or even hate them. We read about attacks/bites on a very regular basis. Even with all the negative media attention many owners still allow their dogs to roam or don't protect their dogs enough from escape. Breeders are not careful about who they place their pups with and they end up in horrible homes that add to the negative statistics. Many owners that truly love their dogs spout trash about people that do not understand their breed, fear their breed or have had a bad enough experience with the breed to outright hate them. Rather then coming up with any plan or reasonable input for a solution to the real problem that exists fingers are pointed and insults are flung. I know that there are many great Pitbull owners on this board and elsewhere that fight this in an educated and morally responsible way. Thanks for that. It is appreciated and in my opinion makes a much greater positive impact. Not enough is done however, either by Pitbull owners or other breed owners that understand the challenges that they face. So, I wonder. What ideas does everyone have to solve this? BSL? Restrictions? Mandatory spay/neuter? How do you feel about it only for Pitbulls? Dangerous dogs? Give me your thoughts, please. :)
Zim, thanks for starting this thread. I think it is a great idea to give people a place to ask those tough questions and have some really good Pitbull owners at the ready to answer them.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
How could you not want to own this face?

I wanted a dog that could "protect" me if necessary. I know bad reason to want a dog, but I wanted a pet, and my fiancé went out of town a lot back then. We got Carter because he looked very Pittie like and would scare people off if they came near. After all the issues I had with him, I didn't want another Pit Bull type dog honestly. I went in, after I put down Carter, looking for a Doberman or Boxer. When the shelter found out I liked Pit Bulls, they matched me with Nubs. I didn't want a "Mean, nasty" Pit Bull. I had read about how great the breed was, but I wasn't sure.

After meeting Nubs, it was instant love. I had already dealt with DA, HA, SA, anything you could think of, so for me, it wasn't anything big to have a dog that could have DA. I had already put a dog down for HA, so I knew I could deal with that. And SA didn't seem to be an issue with Nubs, which is the one thing I couldn't handle at all.

I wanted a dog that I could work with. I wanted a dog that would love everyone, that I could do CGC and TDI with maybe even SAR. Yet a dog that if someone didn't know wouldn't dare come near. Nubs was that. I love educating people about the breed, and as for having Nubs stolen, thats what mace and a house alarm is for.

After owning Nubs, I want another APBT. They are addicting, the only issue I am debating with is I'm not sure I want to deal with always watching out for DA to come around. So it is something that right now I'm not ready, but in the near future, maybe :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
What ideas would you (Pitbull owners) have for solving the problems related with the breed? The problems I am referring to are over population, dogs in the wrong hands, bites/attacks involving the breed, public perception.
For most of these problems, I would like to see solutions placed throughout all breeds. I know a lot of people (Not you Inga, just 'general' people) feel that other breeds aren't deserving of any kind of restriction or regulation because they more or less...haven't racked up enough bite/attack incidents. To me, this is a very poor reason to appose something. Preventatives should be put in place to prevent this problem from happening again (as history has show us, it will) NOT enacted after the fact when things have already gotten out of control.

So, with that in mind I'll start with bites and attacks. I don't so much blame the media for the crazy statistics were are now seeing but rather, a general misunderstanding of what a pit bull is. Or for that matter, the use of 'pit bull' at all. When used in the news or in casual conversation, people throw around the term pit bull as a very general description of any stocky/short haired animal. The problem with this is that the effect is not quite so general, as a few specific breeds really are the one ones bearing the brunt of the lash back for all the attacks. True APBTs for example, are not as common as everyone perceives them to be. A lot of what you see on the streets aggressive and out of control are bully mixes. I mean, my area is really really heavy in the whole 'tough dog' thing. Probably 70% of the dogs we get at the shelter are 'pit bulls' but I don't think I've ever looked at one and said without a doubt "That's an (pure) APBT". My point being...there aren't as many APBT attacks as people are often lead to believe. Misidentifying a lot of dogs/breeds has led to this kind of reputation though.

As for educating? I can only think to do it one person at a time. There really isn't a way to reach large groups of people without some kind of third party organization (BadRap, for example) so a lot of us are kind of left to our own devices. I think it's important to remember that each positive meeting with a person does A LOT for the breed or breeds as a whole. People tend to share things like that, maybe with their friends, kids, whatever. But it's not as insignificant as it may feel in that moment. You don't know who you're talking to after all, it may very well be someone who's never had a positive pit bull experience thus far and in fact I heard of/experienced many such occasions. I even of a lady who a service dog and was terrified of pits until she had one or two good experiences. She now as a service APBT all her own. And Inga, I know you've had some of your Rotties used as Therapy Dogs, right? I can't imagine what it's like for those people to experience something (such as time with a dog) so positive when they are possibly in a less then positive time of their lives. Those kind of actions are monumental in helping give good light to troubled breeds. Good people just have to keep doing what their doing, reaching out, teaching, etc. and it will make an impact.

When it comes to preventing bites and attacks, this is specifically where I think things need to really turn breed wide. I honestly think people are given far far too many chances with their dogs. You get like two or three incidents before your dog is taken away and I think that is much of what is causing the problem. People are being irresponsible and feeling no punishment past a slap on the wrist. If you have a dangerous dog that isn't being contained properly then I believe it needs to be taken by AC and dealt with (HOW it's dealt with is a whole other topic). I just don't have a lot of sympathy for these people anymore. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that a dog prone to biting needs to be contained and if you can't do it then you shouldn't own that animal - bottom line. I understand mistakes happen and everyone has a pet escape in their lifetime but with one that bites or attacks? There isn't room for error. You can't brush it off because there is so much more at stake. Someone could have and may already be hurt due to your negligence. So stricter penalties would be my first step (and actually, have been enacted in some cases, I think) - breed wide. Targeting specific dogs isn't working and it won't work. We need to stop focusing on the dogs and turn our attention on the people that allow them to become out of control to the extent that they harm another person.

Overpopulation is another issue that effects all dogs. I'll be honest, I'm not yet sure how to fix this one. There are always going to be bad breeders out there and I don't really think there is a way to totally end that. Even if we up the criteria for what can and can't be called a 'breeder' you can't force someone to sell to only a select few. You'll still have puppies ending up in the wrong hands. I think at this point the main thing to continue with is the road to better education. I know many on this board have changed their minds about what makes a good breeder just through talking and reading what others have to say. I also know there are a lot of people out there working to show these same lessons to the general public. To me, these kinds of solutions seem more favorable then any kind of added regulation. I just haven't seen anyone be real successful with that type of attack plan yet. New laws get put into place and nothing changes because either they aren't being enforced or they are targeting the wrong people. I think we need to be aware of and remember that most of the owners out there being irresponsible are doing so at the expense of several laws (proper care, shelter, etc) already in place. It's not reasonable to assume that adding a NEW law will suddenly shape them up...especially when it's been made pretty clear through past practices alone that they are really only going to get caught if enough people happen to send in a report, and that doesn't happen often.

I don't really think overpopulation can ever be eradicated as a whole. It's a sad truth but one I think people need to kind of realize, at least on some level. I'm a very firm believer in education and it's powers though. I've seen people totally change their minds after spending just a few moments among people who aren't feeding their fear over Pits, bites, bybreeding, etc. It just takes the right teacher (ex. NOT someone who is going to let their passion color how things are presented and thus end up yelling) and a bit of time spent. People don't need to be degraded or made to feel bad in order to achieve these things, either. When you are calm, understanding, knowledgeable, etc. and you reach out to people...you do a lot more then you realize.

That's about it and I'm not really sure I even answered your question, Inga. I think it's definitely a battle to be had - and a LONG one at that. Legislatures are often looking for the fast way to get something done and usually end up only putting a band-aid over the situation. These kinds of problems need time spent not a swift banning of all dogs stocky and muscled.

ETA: Wow, sorry for that wall of text. I don't think I even said much - but I tend to ramble some so...lol, feel free to disregard all the fluff.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
This is all very interesting, so I have another question for you bully people. Just out of curiosity, what is it that attracts people to pit bulls? Because it seems like an awful lot of work, keeping them separated, always watching for aggression, being ready to break up a fight (and having special tools at the ready), and dealing with thugs wanting to steal your dog?
Keeping them separated thats not a lot of work and isn't breed specific. I'd keep many breeds separated.

Always watching out for aggression, I'm not always watching out for it, just ready if it should present itself but I do see my dogs body language. I don't think that is a lot of work, whatever breed its not trouble for me to read them.

Knowing how to break up a fight, well thats old hat. Special tools? Like a breaking stick thats just 2nd nature to have around. Not a big issue.

Theft is serious, no one wants to loose their dog to theft. That is what a gun or large wooden spoon is for....lol Although it isn't as if we have to protect them from theft on a daily basis, being on guard or in constant fear. It can happen and while not always it is can often be bad people. I'm worried of theft for many breeds, not just Pits. Lots of dogs are snatched from cars or yards, sometimes even homes.

What attracts me is comfort, looks and temperament.

I've been around them since I was a child, I don't have to decide if I like or want an APBT. They just are what I like, no thought to it, my passion and what I'm most comfortable with. I've learned from experience and research, knowing the breed well. I know not only my dogs pedigrees but many other dogs, know the different bloodlines and a lot of what to expect depending on how the dog is bred with exceptions of course. Other breeds I research, get some time in with them but still feel "lost" overall. Its a totally different thing.

I like the athletic look, the short smooth coat, lean muscular build. Expressive face and eyes. Size is perfect for me, medium sized, can't go wrong. They can easily fit on my lap or be carried around. In fact just shortly ago one was climbing up my DH and perching on his shoulder. They are so affectionate and loving with a great compact size.

A lot of what Zim said is right on the money, with dogs being happy and goofy, gentle and maternal. They are also an extremely versatile dog, their main original purpose is outlawed, but they are so great at many other sports/task that it isn't a big issue. They are usually willing to please for nothing but a good dog or praise. I rarely use treats as an incentive. They also learn quick, most of them anyway, so it makes them fun and easy to work with. I can work with other breeds, I don't have a problem with it, just takes more time or patience with some.

People say they are loving and wonderful pets, but so are my dogs, I am madly enthusastic about what incredible wonderful dogs eskies are (though I don't recommend them for everyone, and I wouldn't want them to get popular anyway because that's never good for the breed), and they don't come with all that other baggage.
Oh yes of course many dogs are loving and certainly wonderful pets. Different strokes for different folks.

There are many breeds that have drawbacks or negatives for one person but are not a bother for another. I can think of several breeds that are work to keep. Some require a lot of socialization, others a lot of grooming, some have a lot of health problems (even from a good breeder they might), not be as easy to train, some are too large or too small for certain peoples wants. Some are very defensive/protective and might be seen as a liability to some. Some require high fences with hot wire recommended. Some have a high prey drive wanting to sniff and hunt down whatever they can smell and dig up your yard. Others are very high energy requiring a lot of excercise and mental stimulation. Some breeds also have more then one of these "drawbacks", although they are not too much work for some owners nor are they drawbacks to every owner.

The reasons listed above is why I love them. However I don't put myself through so much trouble to have them at all.

21 - 40 of 183 Posts